Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default The Six Million Dollar Man vs. The Terminator

Skynet's T-800 takes on Steve Austin the Bionic Man.

Fight takes place in an urban street. Both start Unarmed, but can collect weapons from their surroundings

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Skynet's T-800 takes on Steve Austin the Bionic Man.

Fight takes place in an urban street. Both start Unarmed, but can collect weapons from their surroundings
    Is the T-800 the original Terminator from the first movie?

If this were a straight arena fight, I'd definitely give it to the T-800 for greater durability. But, in this situation, Steve Austin can run away at 60 mph which the Terminator cannot begin to match and has plenty of time to collect and improvise weapons. Granted the Terminator does too.

I'd still give the majority to the Terminator but Austin still has a chance.

Now, if this was the Austin from the original novel, I'd give him 50-50. He was much more ruthless in the way he thought, more like a soldier/ assassin, than the television version was.
    Power with Girl is better.

Yeah Steve has a slight to moderate edge in situational awareness, agility, straightline speed, and maneuverability but the Term has a distinct advantage in durability and maybe raw strength.

Term also has the ability to scan for strengths and weaknesses. Sure, Steve's bionics may come up as an unknown to the Term, but is his tech anything the Term should be afraid of?

Steve's bionic eye helps with accuracy but can't help detect weaknesses in a futuristic death robot.

I give the edge to the Terminator.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

If this were a straight arena fight, I'd definitely give it to the T-800 for greater durability. But, in this situation, Steve Austin can run away at 60 mph which the Terminator cannot begin to match and has plenty of time to collect and improvise weapons. Granted the Terminator does too.

Now, if this was the Austin from the original novel, I'd give him 50-50. He was much more ruthless in the way he thought, more like a soldier/ assassin, than the television version was.
    I don't remember the novel guy being very threatening, despite his ruthlessness. His mechanical eye couldn't see, for example, but instead did...something I forget. Just take pictures for later? He was blind in one eye, regardless of what detail I'm forgetting. He just generally seemed less advanced than his TV counterpart. Or at least more realistic/less comicbooky, which amounts to the same thing in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I don't remember the novel guy being very threatening, despite his ruthlessness. His mechanical eye couldn't see, for example, but instead did...something I forget. Just take pictures for later? He was blind in one eye, regardless of what detail I'm forgetting. He just generally seemed less advanced than his TV counterpart. Or at least more realistic/less comicbooky, which amounts to the same thing in practice.
    In addition to the original novel, Martin Caidin wrote a novelization of the first Bigfoot episode. But it was his Steve Austin, not the television one. It was the left arm that was bionic (it was the right one in the show). But he did say that bionics had advanced and that Austin could see out of the eye and had telescopic sight. But it was his more ruthless version of Austin, sort of what the Bigfoot story would have been as a sequel to the original novel. No, he did not kill the Sasquatch. But, let's just say he gave the aliens a "Leave or we will bomb you into oblivion" ultimatum. Book Austin had a number of weapons but they would mostly be effective against flesh and blood opponents so not denying the Terminator wins the majority.

The Terminator should win due to a strength and durability advantage.

In addition to the original novel, Martin Caidin wrote a novelization of the first Bigfoot episode. But it was his Steve Austin, not the television one. It was the left arm that was bionic (it was the right one in the show). But he did say that bionics had advanced and that Austin could see out of the eye and had telescopic sight. But it was his more ruthless version of Austin, sort of what the Bigfoot story would have been as a sequel to the original novel. No, he did not kill the Sasquatch. But, let's just say he gave the aliens a "Leave or we will bomb you into oblivion" ultimatum. Book Austin had a number of weapons but they would mostly be effective against flesh and blood opponents so not denying the Terminator wins the majority.
    Yeah, I looked him up on wiki. Novel Austin was kind of a grim-n-gritty Inspector Gadget, with a poison dart in his finger, a radio in his ribcage, and film in his eye. Kind of the answer to, "what if Inspector Gadget was rebooted by the writers who brought you 'Riverdale'?"

The strange/interesting thing is that they made the SMDM action figure to have different things, including a laser gun, I believe that worked into his arm module. However, this was not really done on the show. They were going to do things like that perhaps, as the made Steve very James Bondish in the first few episodes. But then they went in a different direction. Of course, that "softer" side of Steve did win Jaime's heart, even if for only a little while

I don't know if the Terminator really has a strength advantage. Steve does things like stop cars from accelerating away at full speed and 40 foot vertical leaps up the side of buildings.

He also has way better reaction/speed/skill feats than the Terminator, smacking aside falling girders, toying with a professional boxer...I think with superior strength and speed he could take the Terminator in CQC.

All he really has to do is knock the Terminator down (perhaps with a 60 mph clothesline) and start tearing limbs off.
    "What I sought, I could not obtain."

"This is a meaningless battle. We are two madmen engaging in senseless folley."

"I will kill, I will let live..."

--Genuine Fake Priest Kotomine Kirei

Extraordinary Member

IIRC, Steve's Chest is still human.

Is he too fast for that to be relevant, or could the Terminator take advantage of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    IIRC, Steve's Chest is still human.

Is he too fast for that to be relevant, or could the Terminator take advantage of that?
    Ya mean, pull on all of that thick brown chest hair??

With some effort (and an iron bar), Marcus Wright managed to tear off the head of a T-RIP.

Although, based on Austin's stated concept, the Terminator should be able to beat him, it's one of those things of stated concepts versus actual feats. Austin did some stuff that was mentioned like slapping aside girders and tearing the arm off of the android sasquatch who was himself shown to be able to uproot trees and use them as clubs. Austin even took a hit from that "club" on his normal arm and, though he winced, was able to keep fighting. It was not unusual for him to take a hit on his real arm that should have been crippling but he kept going.

And yes, he had considerably better than normal speed in his bionic arm and his legs, not just running speed. Not saying his combat speed was superhuman but it was enough to toy with a professional boxer as someone mentioned.

I also remember the episode where he was lying down and threw a pillow across a room with such force that it knocked a guy out.

I think I'm switching to Austin wins 'cause the Terminator just doesn't have the speed to hit him and, even if it does land one shot before he beats it, Austin will probably wince and keep fighting.

it would make a great crossover mini series, based on the 70s TV version of Austin and the "evil" T-800 from the 1984 movie. I wouldn't pit Steve against the T-1000, though. All that liquid metal. steve's human side wouldn't heal fast enough to keep up.

Does it really matter what the T800 is from?