All-New Member

Default Hellblazer trades: can i start at vol 5?

I have read the original printing of hellblazer dangerous habits and i loved it, i am now going back and reading the series in new printing because the original printing was all I've read from it. I thought book 1 was decent but nothing special and the second book was good for the first 3rd then i just stopped reading because i didn't want to waste time on 200 pgs of content i didnt like that wasnt relevant to the main plot. I have book 1-6 purchased and although i know the ennis run is gold, do i have to put myself through 2 more books (300-400 pgs each) of disappointment? I would prefer to read the wikis on those two and put then on my shelves and never speak their names again. Would this be okay, i have heard bad reviews on both and from what i can understand, they arent very good. Thank you

Ennis is probably the best, but the early stuff by Delano is really good I would suggest giving Original Sins a try.

I have to agree with the Judge....just because the Ennis run is better than the one by Delano doesn't mean you should skip it. Plus there's a few things that happen in the Delano series that Ennis uses later on. Maybe not a lot but some.

Does Delano have some misses during this time? Sure. But so does Ennis.

Heck in my opinion, the only writer who wasn't worth a **** was Denise Mina and thankfully she was only on for about a year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I have to agree with the Judge....just because the Ennis run is better than the one by Delano doesn't mean you should skip it. Plus there's a few things that happen in the Delano series that Ennis uses later on. Maybe not a lot but some.

Does Delano have some misses during this time? Sure. But so does Ennis.

Heck in my opinion, the only writer who wasn't worth a **** was Denise Mina and thankfully she was only on for about a year.
    Yeah they used to do a good job at keeping a solid writer on the book, some duds but overall I have enjoyed the majority of the runs on the series.

Yes, you are fine skipping it. The Delano run is for a very particular taste and written for a very particular time and definitely not for everyone.

I agree with Orion. It's not bad but if you didn't enjoy the first 2 trades that much I wouldn't bother with the rest. Maybe if later in your life you start craving some old school Vertigo then go back to it.
    Maybe I would suggest the Newcastle issue, can't remember which trade has it, maybe the 3rd, that's a really important event in John's life and it's quite good but other than that you will be fine with wiki.
    I've started with the 5th trade and while it felt like I'm missing some stuff during Ennis' run it never took me out of the story.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I agree with Orion. It's not bad but if you didn't enjoy the first 2 trades that much I wouldn't bother with the rest. Maybe if later in your life you start craving some old school Vertigo then go back to it.
    Maybe I would suggest the Newcastle issue, can't remember which trade has it, maybe the 3rd, that's a really important event in John's life and it's quite good but other than that you will be fine with wiki.
    I've started with the 5th trade and while it felt like I'm missing some stuff during Ennis' run it never took me out of the story.
    Thanks for the advice. I recently started the series Preacher and it made me really want to jump start the Ennis run on Hellblazer.