Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 434

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    206

    Default Why do some people think Marvel Studios can do no wrong?

    I see so many people act like the mcu is total perfection and can never do anything wrong but I just disagree. Most odd their movies are honestly kinda mediocre. They're just average, fine whatever. Nothing unique about then save for their gimmick but not totally trash. Like I personally think Avengers is okay. I didn't really care much for a lot of the characters, the plot is painfully thin and drama pretty dull but still had great action and cast with solid acting from everyone. It wasn't pretentious and didn't try to be something it wasn't which I also appreciate. Yet I see so many people claim they make some of the best superhero movies

    It annoys me ever more when people claim they're comic accurate. Like they've made a ton of major changes Leo with the guardians and ant man. I roll my eyes whenever people whine about the X Men movies changing too much yet are fine with everything marvel has done because marvel can do no wrong

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member Captain M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,882

    Default

    I disagree with you when you say they are average but I absolutely agree with the point you make. There are many cases where the source material is disrepsected. Hank Pym and Janet van Dyne are the biggest examples of this. Hope they make it up.

    #JanetvanCrime

  3. #3
    Mighty Member Redjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lost Angles
    Posts
    1,680

    Default

    Whether you like it or not, whether you agree or not it is not the job of motion pictures to appeal to the comic book audience, in specific. If 100% of comic book readers completely boycotted all movies based upon comics, no one would notice.

    The audience has literally no idea why changes are made when translating a piece from one medium to another. Sometimes it's the writer's choice, sometimes the producer's. Sometimes characters are hung up in weird legal tangles where a name can't be used because of some bizarre conflict. There are hosts of invisible reasons and a host of simple differences of opinion but the bottom line is this:

    Comics are comics and movies are movies. they have a few things in common but the rules for movies (and TV) are not the same as those of comics and they never ever will be. No one is attempting to make a perfect copy of your favorite comic in movie form. No one. that is never attempted and therefore it can never be deemed a flaw or a failure when it doesn't happen.

    The MARVEL MCU paradigm is considered genius because it's new and it KEEPS SUCCEEDING. So much so that all the other major studios are trying to copy the model and create their own extended world franchises.

    You can continue to be grumpy about it or you can understand and accept the differences between mediums and have fun with the rest of us.

  4. #4
    BANNED dragonmp93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Whether you like it or not, whether you agree or not it is not the job of motion pictures to appeal to the comic book audience, in specific. If 100% of comic book readers completely boycotted all movies based upon comics, no one would notice.

    The audience has literally no idea why changes are made when translating a piece from one medium to another. Sometimes it's the writer's choice, sometimes the producer's. Sometimes characters are hung up in weird legal tangles where a name can't be used because of some bizarre conflict. There are hosts of invisible reasons and a host of simple differences of opinion but the bottom line is this:

    Comics are comics and movies are movies. they have a few things in common but the rules for movies (and TV) are not the same as those of comics and they never ever will be. No one is attempting to make a perfect copy of your favorite comic in movie form. No one. that is never attempted and therefore it can never be deemed a flaw or a failure when it doesn't happen.

    The MARVEL MCU paradigm is considered genius because it's new and it KEEPS SUCCEEDING. So much so that all the other major studios are trying to copy the model and create their own extended world franchises.

    You can continue to be grumpy about it or you can understand and accept the differences between mediums and have fun with the rest of us.
    Or be like me; grumpy but enjoys the movies. (out of the connected universes, the only ones that i havent liked are the Last Stand, Wolverine:Origins, and Man of Steel).

  5. #5
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Very little of my point has to do with adaptation complaints. The only time I did mention it is to the people who insist marvel is totally accurate yet hate on other companies for the slightest change

  6. #6
    Fantastic Member KingsLeadHat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    463

    Default

    I enjoy the overall tone of the MCU, even though as a comic fan I quibble about some of the changes. The irony for me is that the root of the appeal of the MCU, even among casual fans, is the inter-connectiveness of the films which has a lot more in common with the nature of comics in the 60's, 70's and 80's than the comics being published today. None of these films are masterpieces like Superman: The Movie, The Empire Strikes Back, or Alien, but they are amplified by (brace yourself) having a strong sense of continuity. Maybe, just maybe, this is slowly sinking in to the people who publish the comics.

  7. #7
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    5,971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Whether you like it or not, whether you agree or not it is not the job of motion pictures to appeal to the comic book audience, in specific. If 100% of comic book readers completely boycotted all movies based upon comics, no one would notice.

    The audience has literally no idea why changes are made when translating a piece from one medium to another. Sometimes it's the writer's choice, sometimes the producer's. Sometimes characters are hung up in weird legal tangles where a name can't be used because of some bizarre conflict. There are hosts of invisible reasons and a host of simple differences of opinion but the bottom line is this:

    Comics are comics and movies are movies. they have a few things in common but the rules for movies (and TV) are not the same as those of comics and they never ever will be. No one is attempting to make a perfect copy of your favorite comic in movie form. No one. that is never attempted and therefore it can never be deemed a flaw or a failure when it doesn't happen.

    The MARVEL MCU paradigm is considered genius because it's new and it KEEPS SUCCEEDING. So much so that all the other major studios are trying to copy the model and create their own extended world franchises.

    You can continue to be grumpy about it or you can understand and accept the differences between mediums and have fun with the rest of us.
    Quoted for simple truth

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,819

    Default

    The reason why MCU is considered above other studios is because they not only have a track record of making guaranteed huge successes at the box office, but also making technically well made films. Say what you want about the opinions, but Iron Man 2 (and to a lesser extent Incredible Hulk and Thor 2) are the only truly bad films in how they are produced and structured. All the rest range from decent, to really great. And that's what's important.

    The MCU has never had a flat-out dud or incredibly divided result like WB, Fox, and Sony have had recently. The closest thing they've probably gotten to their worst is Iron Fist Season 1, and that's completely separate from the films.
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Sonic The Hedgehog, Absolute Carnage, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, Gwenpool Strikes Back, Runaways, The White Trees

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member Vegan Daddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,929

    Default

    I watched Doctor Strange the other day and I have no idea how that got a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. I thought it was boring and stupid.

  10. #10
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Because the characters.

    BvS came out with a depressed as hell murdering Batman. Why should I give a f bout him? Superman was depressed as hell didn't know what to do with his life. Why should I care about him? Who's even looking forward to seeing these characters in the next Justice League movie? Are people going to cheer when they see Superman back?

    The reason why MCU movies get a pass is because the audience is in love with the characters. Marvel took it's time and sure the plots have been mediocre, but the characters have grown with the audience in every movie. The characters are what makes the MCU, not the plots. Take Tony Stark, going from a selfish prick to now mentoring Spider-Man due to the trauma and the selfish mistakes he's gone through in all the movies.

    If you don't care about any of the MCU characters then obviously you are going to hate the movies. But what you need to realize is, this opinion is in the minority and you just need to accept it and move on or stop watching the movies all together, while people like me will enjoy the ride while it lasts.

    We are watching the next movie to watch the next adventure of these characters not for studying art or how to make a time tested movie.

    Fox is gonna make a Dark Phoenix movie and I don't give a crap about any of the young characters other than Quicksilver. Why would it affect me that Jean became evil now?
    Last edited by Punjabi_Hitman; 06-25-2017 at 04:10 PM.

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member rui no onna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi_Hitman View Post
    Because the characters.

    BvS came out with a depressed as hell murdering Batman. Why should I give a f bout him? Superman was depressed as hell didn't know what to do with his life. Why should I care about him? Who's even looking forward to seeing these characters in the next Justice League movie? Are people going to cheer when they see Superman back?

    The reason why MCU movies get a pass is because the audience is in love with the characters. Marvel took it's time and sure the plots have been mediocre, but the characters have grown with the audience in every movie. The characters are what makes the MCU, not the plots. Take Tony Stark, going from a selfish prick to now mentoring Spider-Man due to the trauma and the selfish mistakes he's gone through in all the movies.

    If you don't care about any of the MCU characters then obviously you are going to hate the movies. But what you need to realize is, this opinion is in the minority and you just need to accept it and move on or stop watching the movies all together, while people like me will enjoy the ride while it lasts.
    Yep. Didn't know the Avengers existed prior to the MCU movies. Marvel was just X-Men, Spider-Man and FF. Didn't know Blade was a Marvel character until recently. For me, despite the campiness, CA: The First Avenger actually made Cap likeable. His various incarnations always felt boring. Samuel L. Jackson certainly made a much, much, much better Nick Fury than David Hasselhoff.

    As for the upcoming Justice League movie, I love Gal Gadot. Thought she was the best part of BvS. The Wonder Woman movie was awesome. Gonna watch it just for her. From JL teasers/trailers, I like Ezra Miller's Flash. Jason Momoa, I dunno. I still think of him as Khal Drogo.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

  12. #12
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Oh I'm sorry why should you care about Batman or Superman? Batman because he's broken and at his lowest and has nothing left. Superman because even after dashing the world and choosing humanity over his own people. Sorry they aren't happy about being hated and losing loved ones

    Why should I care about anyone not named Captain America or Iron Man? Ant Man is just a 'nice guy' who makes retarded decisions and forgets his family, Hawkeye has a family for two minutes before like Scott was forgotten, Wanda is an emo who lost her family and again forgotten, Vision is a robot who wants to be human, Falcon is the funny black side kick, War Machine is the funny black side kick, Bruce Banner is just a nice guy, and Thor is either a goof ball or exposition box. I'm sorry but most mcu characters are just kinda flat and have nothing about them

    Dr Strange was okay even though his origin was rushed and was too Iron Man-y, Black Panther just seems angry and knows where the plot is because reasons and Spiderman is well Spiderman not really anything different from past versions but maybe their movies will give them more character

    I just don't see what is so special about most of these characters

  13. #13
    Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560
    Posts
    5,039

    Default

    MCU has the Midas Touch.... It is what it is. (and I'm a hardcore X-MEN fan)

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member rui no onna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    MCU has the Midas Touch.... It is what it is. (and I'm a hardcore X-MEN fan)
    Nah. They've had some misses: Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World. Even Age of Ultron.

    That said, given the cost of making these movies, commercial appeal is a very big consideration. Most of the MCU movies? They have mass appeal.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 06-25-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member Captain M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Nah. They've had some misses: Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World.

    That said, given the cost of making these movies, commercial appeal is a very big consideration. Most of the MCU movies? They have mass appeal.
    I can argue and say Iron Man 3 was a big success. It made a lot of money.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •