Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Until something better comes along, MCU is going to make bazillions with its action films. Just enjoy the ride. The day will eventually come when they won't have as large an audience. It happens to all movie genres.
    this.

Quote Originally Posted by lollie_poppy View Post
    And there are also people justifying all the mistakes Fox keep making in what has to be almost two decades of movies.

Yeah I agree with this.

Still in terms of being close to the source material certainly the MCU is better than any of the other studios but even if they don't do it sometimes, they still manage to deliver something decent with their original script. That's why they get a pass in that aspect.
    You know, Iron Man didnt created Ultron or Vision, or is a mentor for a teenage Spider-Man; Black Widow and Hawkeye werent founding members of the Avengers, and then there is all that happened with Ant-man and the Wasp.

Thing about MCU is at worst, they make mediocre movies. They haven't made a straight up trainwreck yet like Origins, Suicide Squad, or Fantastic Four. But yeah they do change things. There are some major changes to the Spidey mythos in this movie and they'd prob do the same with X-Men but my philosophy is that if the movie itself is good, I don't have a problem with changes.

Changes might annoy me but I can get over it if it is a quality film. It's only really bad when the movie sucks and there are major changes. For example, I didn't care that they replaced Kitty Pryde and Rachel Grey with Wolverine in Days of Future Past. I'd much rather see the charismatic Jackman be the lead than Page and someone else and the movie itself worked. Same way, I felt Stark creating Ultron made sense within the context of what the MCU established

tldr: MCU movies have been pretty consistently decent with some real great flicks in there. So people will look past comic book changes in that regard

Incredible Member

Very little of my point has to do with adaptation complaints. The only time I did mention it is to the people who insist marvel is totally accurate yet hate on other companies for the slightest change

Incredible Member

You're acting like I want some Oscar bait movie out of superhero films. I don't but I do expect more out of them. Again for Avengers even after watching the solo movies I did not care for any of the characters in the slightest. I was more bored re watching it recently. For me the characters are what makes superhero comics and movies but with the mcu I honestly don't care for most of the characters

I don't want superhero movies to be overly pretentious or something they're not that's one aspect I praise marvel for unlike the later Bay Transformers they don't act like it's some grand epic or anything

I'd also argue yeah a lot of mcu movies were received as well as wonder woman and even Logan. Iron Man, Avengers, Winter Soldier, GotG, Civil War I'd say all were received on the same level as those two. Also Logan isn't really a superhero movie which it never intended to be

I enjoy the overall tone of the MCU, even though as a comic fan I quibble about some of the changes. The irony for me is that the root of the appeal of the MCU, even among casual fans, is the inter-connectiveness of the films which has a lot more in common with the nature of comics in the 60's, 70's and 80's than the comics being published today. None of these films are masterpieces like Superman: The Movie, The Empire Strikes Back, or Alien, but they are amplified by (brace yourself) having a strong sense of continuity. Maybe, just maybe, this is slowly sinking in to the people who publish the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    I see so many people act like the mcu is total perfection and can never do anything wrong but I just disagree. Most odd their movies are honestly kinda mediocre. They're just average, fine whatever. Nothing unique about then save for their gimmick but not totally trash. Like I personally think Avengers is okay. I didn't really care much for a lot of the characters, the plot is painfully thin and drama pretty dull but still had great action and cast with solid acting from everyone. It wasn't pretentious and didn't try to be something it wasn't which I also appreciate. Yet I see so many people claim they make some of the best superhero movies

It annoys me ever more when people claim they're comic accurate. Like they've made a ton of major changes Leo with the guardians and ant man. I roll my eyes whenever people whine about the X Men movies changing too much yet are fine with everything marvel has done because marvel can do no wrong
    Michael Bay effect.

Their movies make money so that means the movies are fine.

People defend The Force Awakens even though it's a remake of Ep4 because, "it's not the prequels!" and it made money so that means it's fine.

Incredible Member

Like I said the mcu is perfectly fine I just find then to be a bit too generic. Like not much seperates them from the next action movie besides the gimmick

Honestly they seem to rely more on shock value than anything else. Besides WS none of the sequels have been better received than the original. Even though I liked Avengers 2 and GotG2 better than the original they're worse received and part of it to me is they're more of the same our the gimmick wore off. Like the whole space theme kinda wore off in the second one and the Avengers taking up already happened

Again perfectly fine enjoyable movies. I only really hate two but even then they're not that much worse from my third least favorite mcu movie

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Winter Soldier got me interested into Cap which then made me read Remender's run which then made me a Cap fan. They have good movies and a good track record so that's why people say they can't do no wrong. I was highly dissapointed in Dr. Strange though. Warcraft had better magic usage. The Thor movies put me to sleep and I only remember Iron Man 1.

Cause even if they're not perfect they're still kicking Fox, Sony and DC's ass. Yeah they changed a lot of stuff but nothing to the level of Mystique the X-Men female lead and Xavier's adoptive sister.

Ultimate Member

The only time I did mention it is to the people who insist marvel is totally accurate yet hate on other companies for the slightest change.
    And yet, does this happen? At all? 'Cause if so, it's people who haven't read the darn comics anyway, talking out their butts.

Every Marvel movie has made changes. Cinematic Iron Man didn't start out in Vietnam. MCU Captain America never met the Invaders. The comic-book Ancient One wasn't a woman and the Eye of Agamotto wasn't an Infinity McGuffin and Wong wasn't a sorcerer and Mordo wasn't quite so tan. Thor, goodness, where to even start! Rocket's some alien animal that only looks like a trash panda, and Drax and Mantis are *also* aliens who are completely different than the (born on Earth) comic book characters, and yet Guardians of the Galaxy is pretty fun.

The only 'accuracy' that matters is accuracy of *tone.*

Civil War was almost nothing like the Civil War in the comics. And I don't recall seeing anyone who thought it was. It was, however, a pretty darn good movie.

Most comic book stories are written with that medium in mind, and, in almost every case, would be kind of terrible if 'accurately' ported over to the big-screen. (Watchmen was a rare exception, written and laid out as if the scenes were images on a movie screen, according to the artist.)

And yet, despite what you are saying, fans (including myself!) have been bitching for years about changes in the Marvel movies. People lost their **** when Trevor turned out to not be the Mandarin, in Iron Man 3 (a twist that I liked, since I'm 50, and it was a treat to me, someone who's read about the original Mandarin, to see a curve ball like that, while the younger audiences, who've really no clue who the Mandarin was, probably got nothing out of that bait-and-switch, since, to them, it was 'wait, the guy we've never heard of is actually an actor pretending to be the guy we've never heard of?' That twist was *entirely* for us old fans!).

I *was,* however, hugely disappointed that neither Wasp nor Scarlet Witch appeared in the first Avengers movie, and the founding Avenger lady was Black Widow, *who joined the team eleven years after it was founded.* I was even more disappointed that the only reason we didn't get to see the Wasp in Avengers is because of a stalled Edgar Wright movie that never happened, and we later learned from Peyton Reed that the Wasp wasn't even in the original script, so it was a complete miscommunication!

I also can't stand smarmy Coulson, and think that Hemsworth was terribly miscast as Thor, and am not fond of Jeremy Renner's boring Hawkeye.

All those things aside, that doesn't change the fact that Avengers was a great movie. I think it could have been *better,* but I certainly don't think it was *bad.*

As a fan of many DC characters and teams, and the X-Men and Fantastic Four, I understand that it's super-frustrating that the movies that Warner and Fox and Sony have been putting out haven't been as enjoyable as those that Marvel Studios has been making (for the most part. Deadpool was a hit!). But that's not Marvel's fault. And it's not Marvel's fan's fault. It's on those other companies to make more enjoyable and entertaining movies.

I'd have 10x rather seen a great Teen Titans movie, than an Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy movie. And yet, I got great Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy movies, and I'm not going to wring my hands in despair at getting all this great stuff, even if it isn't my favorite flavor. It's still darn tasty, and I'll be waiting, spoon in hand, for Spider-Man: Homecoming, in a week or so, even if I like characters like Booster Gold and Monica Rambeau a bit more than web-head.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    And yet, does this happen? At all? 'Cause if so, it's people who haven't read the darn comics anyway, talking out their butts.

Every Marvel movie has made changes. Cinematic Iron Man didn't start out in Vietnam. MCU Captain America never met the Invaders. The comic-book Ancient One wasn't a woman and the Eye of Agamotto wasn't an Infinity McGuffin and Wong wasn't a sorcerer and Mordo wasn't quite so tan. Thor, goodness, where to even start! Rocket's some alien animal that only looks like a trash panda, and Drax and Mantis are *also* aliens who are completely different than the (born on Earth) comic book characters, and yet Guardians of the Galaxy is pretty fun.

The only 'accuracy' that matters is accuracy of *tone.*

Civil War was almost nothing like the Civil War in the comics. And I don't recall seeing anyone who thought it was. It was, however, a pretty darn good movie.

Most comic book stories are written with that medium in mind, and, in almost every case, would be kind of terrible if 'accurately' ported over to the big-screen. (Watchmen was a rare exception, written and laid out as if the scenes were images on a movie screen, according to the artist.)

And yet, despite what you are saying, fans (including myself!) have been bitching for years about changes in the Marvel movies. People lost their **** when Trevor turned out to not be the Mandarin, in Iron Man 3 (a twist that I liked, since I'm 50, and it was a treat to me, someone who's read about the original Mandarin, to see a curve ball like that, while the younger audiences, who've really no clue who the Mandarin was, probably got nothing out of that bait-and-switch, since, to them, it was 'wait, the guy we've never heard of is actually an actor pretending to be the guy we've never heard of?' That twist was *entirely* for us old fans!).

I *was,* however, hugely disappointed that neither Wasp nor Scarlet Witch appeared in the first Avengers movie, and the founding Avenger lady was Black Widow, *who joined the team eleven years after it was founded.* I was even more disappointed that the only reason we didn't get to see the Wasp in Avengers is because of a stalled Edgar Wright movie that never happened, and we later learned from Peyton Reed that the Wasp wasn't even in the original script, so it was a complete miscommunication!

I also can't stand smarmy Coulson, and think that Hemsworth was terribly miscast as Thor, and am not fond of Jeremy Renner's boring Hawkeye.

All those things aside, that doesn't change the fact that Avengers was a great movie. I think it could have been *better,* but I certainly don't think it was *bad.*

As a fan of many DC characters and teams, and the X-Men and Fantastic Four, I understand that it's super-frustrating that the movies that Warner and Fox and Sony have been putting out haven't been as enjoyable as those that Marvel Studios has been making (for the most part. Deadpool was a hit!). But that's not Marvel's fault. And it's not Marvel's fan's fault. It's on those other companies to make more enjoyable and entertaining movies.

I'd have 10x rather seen a great Teen Titans movie, than an Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy movie. And yet, I got great Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy movies, and I'm not going to wring my hands in despair at getting all this great stuff, even if it isn't my favorite flavor. It's still darn tasty, and I'll be waiting, spoon in hand, for Spider-Man: Homecoming, in a week or so, even if I like characters like Booster Gold and Monica Rambeau a bit more than web-head.
    Like i said; people at the X-board complains about how much accurate the MCU movies are to the comics that they are based off.

I see so many people act like the mcu is total perfection and can never do anything wrong but I just disagree. Most odd their movies are honestly kinda mediocre. They're just average, fine whatever. Nothing unique about then save for their gimmick but not totally trash. Like I personally think Avengers is okay. I didn't really care much for a lot of the characters, the plot is painfully thin and drama pretty dull but still had great action and cast with solid acting from everyone. It wasn't pretentious and didn't try to be something it wasn't which I also appreciate. Yet I see so many people claim they make some of the best superhero movies

It annoys me ever more when people claim they're comic accurate. Like they've made a ton of major changes Leo with the guardians and ant man. I roll my eyes whenever people whine about the X Men movies changing too much yet are fine with everything marvel has done because marvel can do no wrong
    I don't say they can't do no wrong, but overall their movie, so far till that awesome thing that is Wonder Woman, were much more enjoyable than DC(i HATE all Superman movies....and i found the glorious one with Christopher reeve not exceptional either) as for the accurancy....well no movie had ever been accurate either from comics or books. They can come close yes, but not quite the same. Mostly becasue in movies there is something that in book or comics is only result of suggestion or graphic illusion...movement and actually actor mimic(ok CGI is another question worthy its own thread).
    Personally i think this whole debate, that at time become ugkly, come from the inherent nature of internet as it is right now and the fact that we all have become overprotective of everything that define us, even if it is just a movie we do like. Sometimes, and here I talk from personal experience on both sides of the fence, you feel like you have somehow justify yourself for liking or disliking this or that, or you'll risk to become surrounded by enemies. Kind of a paranoid feeling. Some of my posting on the complex thread were driven by fear and paranoia mostly. I had become obsessed more about the effect of my replies on this or that poster than the argument about it. I got slightyl better still...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Whether you like it or not, whether you agree or not it is not the job of motion pictures to appeal to the comic book audience, in specific. If 100% of comic book readers completely boycotted all movies based upon comics, no one would notice.

The audience has literally no idea why changes are made when translating a piece from one medium to another. Sometimes it's the writer's choice, sometimes the producer's. Sometimes characters are hung up in weird legal tangles where a name can't be used because of some bizarre conflict. There are hosts of invisible reasons and a host of simple differences of opinion but the bottom line is this:

Comics are comics and movies are movies. they have a few things in common but the rules for movies (and TV) are not the same as those of comics and they never ever will be. No one is attempting to make a perfect copy of your favorite comic in movie form. No one. that is never attempted and therefore it can never be deemed a flaw or a failure when it doesn't happen.

The MARVEL MCU paradigm is considered genius because it's new and it KEEPS SUCCEEDING. So much so that all the other major studios are trying to copy the model and create their own extended world franchises.

You can continue to be grumpy about it or you can understand and accept the differences between mediums and have fun with the rest of us.
    Quoted for simple truth

The reason why MCU is considered above other studios is because they not only have a track record of making guaranteed huge successes at the box office, but also making technically well made films. Say what you want about the opinions, but Iron Man 2 (and to a lesser extent Incredible Hulk and Thor 2) are the only truly bad films in how they are produced and structured. All the rest range from decent, to really great. And that's what's important.

The MCU has never had a flat-out dud or incredibly divided result like WB, Fox, and Sony have had recently. The closest thing they've probably gotten to their worst is Iron Fist Season 1, and that's completely separate from the films.