Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    Couple of things:

1. Yeah these characters are different, but that's because this about spiderman being a highschooler in 2017, not the 60's. A lot has changed since then, including schools. The Flash in the move is far more indicative of kids these days than the blustering bullhead of days past. hell, even when I was in high school, bullies were more likely to blast you on myspace than beat you up for lunch money. And your complaint about Mj is a non factor because that's not mary jane, its a new character, so I don't know what your issue is there.

2. All of your comparisons/complaints are "That's not how it is in the comics" but this isnt the comics. The "C" in MCU stands for Cinematic, not comic, of course they are going to take creative liberties. Even the most beloved superhero movies of all time whether it be Rich Donner's Superman, Nolan's Dark Knight, Sam Raimi's Spiderman, or Jon Favreau's Iron Man all take creative liberties to distinguish them as their own property, but the key points are still there. If I wanted to enjoy something that was a point by point remake of the comics...I would just read the comics.
    I would have more sympathy for your argument if they left the comics alone and didn't try to make them "syngergize" with the movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
    I would have more sympathy for your argument if they left the comics alone and didn't try to make them "syngergize" with the movies.
    They leave the comics alone. The comics people do this completely on their own.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    Couple of things:

1. Yeah these characters are different, but that's because this about spiderman being a highschooler in 2017, not the 60's. A lot has changed since then, including schools. The Flash in the move is far more indicative of kids these days than the blustering bullhead of days past. hell, even when I was in high school, bullies were more likely to blast you on myspace than beat you up for lunch money. And your complaint about Mj is a non factor because that's not mary jane, its a new character, so I don't know what your issue is there.

2. All of your comparisons/complaints are "That's not how it is in the comics" but this isnt the comics. The "C" in MCU stands for Cinematic, not comic, of course they are going to take creative liberties. Even the most beloved superhero movies of all time whether it be Rich Donner's Superman, Nolan's Dark Knight, Sam Raimi's Spiderman, or Jon Favreau's Iron Man all take creative liberties to distinguish them as their own property, but the key points are still there. If I wanted to enjoy something that was a point by point remake of the comics...I would just read the comics.
    look as i said before that is false. I just graduated and while I wasn't constantly bullied I was and they were worse than Flash in SM:H. I don't mind him being more verbal but calling Peter Penis Parker just makes him a joke bully. Flash is not a joke bully. And saying that bullies are no longer the stereotypical meatheads is stupid. They come in all shapes and sizes. I bet you were one of those people who thought Andrew Garfield was too 'cute' or good looking to be a nerd because as we know all nerds are scrawny, pale faced, neck beard ugly weirdos but bullies are totally 5" nerds

If they wanted to make Flash more verbal abusive fine but they don't need to turn him into a rich snob. Hell why not have Peter joining the basket ball like in the Ultimates and have Flash harass him through that? I mean it's extremely unique and honestly this Peter is the least nerdy imo

And no I don't think everything should be copy pasted from the comics. Like everything else I think there is room for creative liberties but as long as they stay true to the character

BTW MJ is still an issue. It's no different than Lex jr. it doesn't matter if this isn't Mary Jane Watson and she's Michelle Jones she is still the character who is with Peter's clique she is still the character that hangs and joins them in his adventures and they kinda set up some love interest. Just because Papa Feige says so doesn't make it a none issue. Like Mandarin he's trying to save his skin and be seen as the big comic nerd. Let's say they introduce Mary Jane Watson in Spiderman 2 how would that work? Would she still be MJ? Or just Mary? Would Peter mention what a coincidence that she has the same nickname? Or what would become of Michelle? I really think Zendaya was meant to play Mary Jane Watson but after the backlash of her casting they say of she's just good ole Michelle Jones. It's the safest way to test her. She is passed as an original character who happens to have the same initials as MJ Watson. I mean why would they hire Zendaya specifically? Honestly anyone could've played Michelle and she was okay imo for the role but when compared to everyone else even Tom Holland Zendaya is the most popular with them. Marvel hasn't really hired anyone who too famous only to be a throw away side character. At least the throw away villains have a purpose. Michelle really didn't need to be there and could be written out with nothing different. So after all that you think Marvel and Sony would hire a well know singer/actress to play an extremely minor side role that did literally nothing for the story and NOT have anything plan for her? Especially when they wrote out Liz. Again it would just feel contrived same if Lex Sr just shows out of nowhere in MoS2 and hates Superman simply because fanboys want an old bald Luthor

Incredible Member

maybe I should restate the thread to why People think Marvel Never Fails

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Oh, I see.

I haven't seen Homecoming and never saw a Peyton Reed movie outside of Antman in my life, so probably not good examples for me.

In answer to your question, I think many of the movies do feel unique. Joss Whedon's Avengers movies have his thumbprints on them (everyone being snarky, killing off fan favorites). Compare Winter Soldier to Guardians of the Galaxy, the original Captain America, or Iron Man 3. All very different movies.

Saying you may enjoy something even if you recognize its flaws is highly blind praise. And no, I'm not really given to that.

Never saw Transformers. As far as the new TMNT movies went, they had pacing problems and tone shifts that didn't gel very well with each other. Most MCU movies don't have those problems or at least not so jarringly, IMHO.

Unique story (a superhero movie as a heist story), enjoyable characters, clever use of the main gimmick (guy with shrinking superpowers), an emotional core that worked, and a theme that held through the story (the relationship between fathers and daughters). I wouldn't say it cracks the top ten superhero movie list, but it's better than the run off the mill or bad in the genre (the ASM movies, IM2, what have you).
    and I could write an essay on the issues with Ant Man but of course you'll go back to popular opinion is god and I'm just wrong making nothing I say matter. Tell me when is popular opinion wrong? What if JL gets a 99 percent on RT and a 9.8/10 for the score and it is trash? What would you do then? The characters are all unlikeable and irredeemable, the plot is non sense, action just a toddler waving the camcorder around and the villain is in it for 2 seconds and is one shot by batman

Just stop saying oh popular opinion is word of God anything problems you have are negated because popular opinion

Depends how you define success and failure for films. The MCU is a huge success in terms of financial gain, and they've all managed to be entertaining and reasonably well made, mostly due to studio control and a playing it safe. Artistically, their films tend to be formulaic and lacking in originality and depth, for the same reason. They'll never have a bomb, but they won't ever have a Logan, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    and I could write an essay on the issues with Ant Man but of course you'll go back to popular opinion is god and I'm just wrong making nothing I say matter.
    Why would I appeal to others when I think that the movie was perfectly fine and could articulate points why on my own, as I did?

Tell me when is popular opinion wrong? What if JL gets a 99 percent on RT and a 9.8/10 for the score and it is trash? What would you do then?
    "I feel a deep swell of pity for the poor soul who comes to my school looking for trouble."

Okay, seriously, art is subjective, so different people have opinions on it. However, RT is not the standard by which movie's quality lives or dies, it's just an estimate. Me, I just go on my merry way when my tastes don't mesh with the general public's.

The characters are all unlikeable and irredeemable, the plot is non sense, action just a toddler waving the camcorder around and the villain is in it for 2 seconds and is one shot by batman
    What are you talking about here? Is that a specific movie or a hypothetical example.

Just stop saying oh popular opinion is word of God anything problems you have are negated because popular opinion
    I never said that. I may have made the point that most people disagree with opinion X, but that is a different thing. You seem to be having a bit of a martyr complex here, at least that's how you're coming across.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Why would I appeal to others when I think that the movie was perfectly fine and could articulate points why on my own, as I did?

"I feel a deep swell of pity for the poor soul who comes to my school looking for trouble."

Okay, seriously, art is subjective, so different people have opinions on it. However, RT is not the standard by which movie's quality lives or dies, it's just an estimate. Me, I just go on my merry way when my tastes don't mesh with the general public's.

What are you talking about here? Is that a specific movie or a hypothetical example.

I never said that. I may have made the point that most people disagree with opinion X, but that is a different thing. You seem to be having a bit of a martyr complex here, at least that's how you're coming across.
    I don't have a martry complex. I don't care about critics but you're the one mentioning popular opinion

BANNED

They aren't perfect, but the MCU movies certainly smack the piss out of the DC/WB efforts over the last 8 years.

Wonder Woman was a nice pleasant surprise, but any goodwill DC built up with that is almost sure to be dashed by Justice League. It just looks awful.

DC/WB would be best served by completely abandoning Zack Snyder and the idea of a "shared cinematic universe" and just make standalone Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman films. And get rid of Cavill, the damage has already been done.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

I don't have a martry complex. I don't care about critics but you're the one mentioning popular opinion
    You're the one that couldn't get over the fact that critics liked the MCU movies and they had high RT scores.

Just because you got banned and came back doesn't mean we forgot

BANNED

Dboi2001 :
    X Men is an ensemble film you can't develop every single character and honestly I'd rather have 1 great character than a bunch of mediocer characters like Avengers or Guardians.
    Ok I think differently. You don't like team movies. I like team movies.
    Hell Guardians 2 puts Peter forefront and everyone else is side lined. A 'cool' moment is not a good character and again I could name a lot for the X Men. Personal moment? Are you shitting me? Cyclops losing Jean and telling Logan not all of us can heal as fast as you when he tells him to move on is not personal enough?
    1 - GotG = 2 movies where each character had character development and cool moments. X-men have 6 movies and majority of them had only cool or personal moment.
    Opening with Rogue putting her bf into a coma and being with Bobby or almost killing Logan not personal enough? What personal moment did Ant Man or Wanda or Drax have
    Well X1 and X2 were much better than what we have now in X-men movies. That's true.
    Lesson from X-men movies:
    If You are different(gay for example) then You should take pill/cure and stop being different.
    Drax had personal moments in GotG1. He was obssessed with revenge....
    no it isn't as long as the individual story is good that is all that counts. I pay 20 dollars to see a full movie not just one episode in a tv series. Imagine if HBO did that with GoT that is the MCU
    X-men also
    but there is one difference. Most interesting things happens off panel.
    Name me other issues that people call them out. Hell people say Zemo and Ego even Kalicis were great villains. Again no one criticizes Kevin Feige himself
    I have heard that Age of ultron was bad/boring.
    Nope. Far more disjointed and lacking in less plot. Literally bring ball to old man then save Xandar because plot
    yes and X-men movies are: magneto is switching sides...
    mcu is about interesting characters but they simply stories (greatly done) but simple.
    x-men has more complicated stories full of mistakes
    Yes clearly I am an idiot to not understand the 2 time razzie winner James Gunn who made such masterpieces like Super or Scooby Doo. Nah nah I don't 'get it'. Hmm sounds familiar to another group of fanboys MCU fanboys complain about
    It is not about inteligence. Different people like diferent things.
    Some people learn from their mistakes. Some not. Right now it looks like Marvel is learning. WB is learning(wonder woman). Fox not really. Fox can create great movies when some other guys create their movies . Unlucky that Kinberg will be creating another x-men movie after apocalypse.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cimmerian View Post
    They aren't perfect, but the MCU movies certainly smack the piss out of the DC/WB efforts over the last 8 years.

Wonder Woman was a nice pleasant surprise, but any goodwill DC built up with that is almost sure to be dashed by Justice League. It just looks awful.

DC/WB would be best served by completely abandoning Zack Snyder and the idea of a "shared cinematic universe" and just make standalone Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman films. And get rid of Cavill, the damage has already been done.
    The MCU is trash and your idea is ****. Also Cavill is the best Superman to date. JL had one trailer judging out now is stupid I could say the same for Thor Ragnarok

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    Dboi2001 :

Ok I think differently. You don't like team movies. I like team movies.

1 - GotG = 2 movies where each character had character development and cool moments. X-men have 6 movies and majority of them had only cool or personal moment.

Well X1 and X2 were much better than what we have now in X-men movies. That's true.
    Lesson from X-men movies:
    If You are different(gay for example) then You should take pill/cure and stop being different.
    Drax had personal moments in GotG1. He was obssessed with revenge....

X-men also
    but there is one difference. Most interesting things happens off panel.

I have heard that Age of ultron was bad/boring.

yes and X-men movies are: magneto is switching sides...
    mcu is about interesting characters but they simply stories (greatly done) but simple.
    x-men has more complicated stories full of mistakes

It is not about inteligence. Different people like diferent things.
    Some people learn from their mistakes. Some not. Right now it looks like Marvel is learning. WB is learning(wonder woman). Fox not really. Fox can create great movies when some other guys create their movies . Unlucky that Kinberg will be creating another x-men movie after apocalypse.
    1. I like team movies but more over I like well written and developed characters. The Avengers were not well developed the Guardians were not well developed the X Men were. And you can be a special snowflake and say how Cyclops is your favorite and they butchered him facts are facts Wolverine is the most popular character in the X Men and the most popular stories are the ones revolving around Magneto and Xavier

2. Ha that's laughable. Besides Quill the Guardians have no character. That's something I can say for X Men

3. That's not what the lesson was. There was gray areas just like the comics. Drax had no personal moments. His revenge was only brought up to push the plot forward. He doesn't even reflect on killing Ronan

4. Not really they all stand alone. Even then they're sequels

5. Again no one mentions Feige getting involved

6. No he doesn't. He didn't switch sides in the original trilogy. Even then it's like the comics too. Mcu stories are bad

7. Mcu is not learning anything. What gave they learned? They do the same thing and will never change

You'll blindly praise marvel for anything won't you? Kevin Feige is a hack but people will still eat his crap

Astonishing Member

The MCU is trash and your idea is ****. Also Cavill is the best Superman to date. JL had one trailer judging out now is stupid I could say the same for Thor Ragnarok
    Some of the MCU movies are mediocre and not worth watching. The Fox X-Men universe OTOH is garbage. Should have been making crazy money but it seems only Deadpool has killed it. No X-Men movie has made over 300M domestic. How will Dark Phoenix fare after the underwhelming Apocalypse? Will the box office even go lower? Where is the buzz for this film? Fox should have just went for a reboot. New cast, new storylines. The studio falls far behind MCU and DCEU.

BANNED

Says you versus the rest of the world.