Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaddor View Post
    *protagonist is either a nobody or an extremely c***y alpha male at the top of his game in life*
    *protagonist suffers a horrific accident/tragedy/mishap*
    *Mentor archetype comes in and shows him a new way of looking at the world*
    *Big baddie enters the scene and f***s some s*** up*
    *love interest is also introduced at around this time*
    *Mentor character dies fighting the big baddie or is otherwise killed by uncontrollable circumstance*
    *protagonist rises up to the challenge and defeats the big baddie and then starts his journey as a full time super hero*
    *Remember how, in The Avengers, New York was invaded by aliens, and the superheroes joined together to defeat them, and it was unlike anything you'd ever seen in a movie? For comic book fans, that's Wednesday. By our estimation, the Marvel Comics Earth gets invaded by aliens about 367 times a year, and the movies are following suit. Only a year after The Avengers, we had another alien-invasion story in Thor 2. MCU in a pea shell

Logan is loosely connected to Old Man Logan and the westerns of the 70s. No one ever denied it. That was the promise of Logan, to take a comic book movie and flip it on itself. MCU stays the same, Spiderman Homecoming is the recent formulaic movie suffering the consequences.
    The backstory of characters may be different but every mcu movie uses the same formulaic status quo. Logan is an out of the bubble comic book movie. MCU is sinking in the bubble of nothingness.
    The mcu movies are fun but they leave you cold when the credits roll. X-Men movies don't usually do that. Some MCU close minded kissers tend to interpret X-men as depressing or boring but what it truly does is reflect the problems surrounding ''modern marvel'' beyond Marvel vs Capcom infinite.
    The MCU have no clue on how to make a comic film that is not expected from the expected comic films. I will get some slack when next I bring up the maturity question since some ''men '' need to stick out their tongues at others when talking.
    What you've basically said to me is "Marvel should stay away from the origins of their superheroes so they can be different.

Are you not aware of what Tony Stark's origins are? Are you not aware of who Steve Rogers was before he became Captain America? Scott Lang before he was Ant-Man? Stephen Strange before he was the Sorcerer Supreme? All of these origins to my knowledge are translated almost accurately from comics to film, and that's a bad thing? But of course, go ahead and single out the MCU when Man of Steel, Batman Begins, Deadpool, The Wolverine, Spider-Man, The Amazing Spider-Man, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Wonder Woman, (soon to be) Justice League and many more have all used many of those plot points you just posted. It's called the Hero's Journey. Even the freakin Bible uses it.

But please, tell me how Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Captain America: Civil War, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, The Incredible Hulk and Avengers: Age of Ultron have all used that formula you just described

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    They do have the same tone are action comedies. The fact they all crack jokes during a fight makes it a comedy. Tell me the differences between the movies MCU fanboy
    I am fine with the MCU jokes but when a joke is cracked and not funny (which is a lot of the times) it does more hurt to the film. I want MCU to give up something. keep the jokes but strengthen the villains or keep the poor villains and take away the jokes.

X-Men movies don't joke a lot, things are usually intense and gripping in x-men from the beginning to the end. I like X-Men movies better for this important point that cannot be overlooked. its the equivalent of catching the snitch in harry potter.

Jaddor and Dboi clearly don't know what an action comedy is. It's actually funny.

I am fine with the MCU jokes but when a joke is cracked and not funny (which is a lot of the times) it does more hurt to the film. I want MCU to give up something. keep the jokes but strengthen the villains or keep the poor villains and take away the jokes.

X-Men movies don't joke a lot, things are usually intense and gripping in x-men from the beginning to the end. I like X-Men movies better for this important point that cannot be overlooked. its the equivalent of catching the snitch in harry potter.
    Then why don't you keep that fine opinion of yours and stop trying to belittle people that disagree with you. It's always the non-MCU fans that can't keep the MCU out of their mouths. I rarely see any MCU fan go out of his or her way to discredit other franchises but every time I go to the thread for the X-Men movies it's always MCU this, MCU that

Because Phoenix, Emma Frost, Ajax, Apocalypse, Zander Rice, Donald Pierce, X-24 were superb villains. And Stryker is good in one movie. In Origins he's a generic evil military guy, and DoFP and Apocalypse he's just plain unnecessary.

And as a die hard Harry Potter fan, just WHAT?!

Astonishing Member

X-Men's tone is closer to marvel netflix but still restricted to make a PG 13 cut. The MCU tone is closer to the Disney millennial movies.

Deadpool is a representation of a sub genre of comedy called Black Comedy. Black comedy and MCU movies can not be used in the same sentence.
    Most of the X-Men films look like they were made on a Netflix budget. I'm guessing that's why they have a hard time making a lot of money in North America when compared to the MCU, DCEU, the Batman Nolan trilogy, the Raimi Spider-Man movies?

BANNED

Black comedy and MCU movies can not be used in the same sentence.
    Uh...

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Uh...

That literally made me laugh out loud. Doubly because Jaddor is the only one who used them in the same sentence.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Most of the X-Men films look like they were made on a Netflix budget. I'm guessing that's why they have a hard time making a lot of money in North America when compared to the MCU, DCEU, the Batman Nolan trilogy, the Raimi Spider-Man movies?
    Marvel netflix wipes the floor with The MCU movies. Now this is my cue to remove myself from it all. I do this when MCU fanboys are melting down in flames since many of their movies can't hold a candle to some of the x-men movies.

If MCU focused less on money, they would not have so many soulless gimmick films that undermines how much money their movies makes. Its not a consolation price for me that GOTG 2 made more money than GOTG 1 despite been a disappointing waste of a sequel.
    Last edited by Jaddor; 07-22-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Don't forget to take your opinions with you

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    That literally made me laugh out loud. Doubly because Jaddor is the only one who used them in the same sentence.
    The first rule of fight club is ...there are no rules. did you understand that part in the movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_comedy

You do realize black comedic moments are more restricted in movies than the average harder tone movies i.e X-Men or Unbreakable.

Astonishing Member

Marvel netflix wipes the floor with The MCU movies. Now this is my cue to remove myself from it all. I do this when MCU fanboys are melting down in flames since many of their movies can't hold a candle to some of the x-men movies.

If MCU focused less on money, they would not have so many soulless gimmick films that undermines how much money their movies makes. Its not a consolation price for me that GOTG 2 made more money than GOTG 1 despite been a disappointing waste of a sequel.
    So because I don't like all the X-Men films you assume I'm a MCU fanboy? I mentioned DOFP and Deadpool are some of my favorites. Enjoyed WW, the Raimi Spider-Man, the Nolan Batmans. No, I'm a CBM fanboy. I even liked Synder's Watchmen.

Never said I liked all the MCU films. Said some were mediocre. Yeah, I agree some try way too hard to be funny. Was extremely disappointed with GOTG2. The majority of the jokes fell flat with me. Felt Ant-Man also tried too hard.

In the end, I just feel the majority of X-Men movies lack quality action scenes. They just feel bland and generic. I rather watch the action scenes from the Garfield Spider-Man movies.

I'm not expecting Oscar calibre movies from the superhero genre. I just want to be entertained with good special effects with some action and doses of comedy. It's disappointing that the X-Men franchise can't get it right.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    What you've basically said to me is "Marvel should stay away from the origins of their superheroes so they can be different.

Are you not aware of what Tony Stark's origins are? Are you not aware of who Steve Rogers was before he became Captain America? Scott Lang before he was Ant-Man? Stephen Strange before he was the Sorcerer Supreme? All of these origins to my knowledge are translated almost accurately from comics to film, and that's a bad thing? But of course, go ahead and single out the MCU when Man of Steel, Batman Begins, Deadpool, The Wolverine, Spider-Man, The Amazing Spider-Man, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Wonder Woman, (soon to be) Justice League and many more have all used many of those plot points you just posted. It's called the Hero's Journey. Even the freakin Bible uses it.

But please, tell me how Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Captain America: Civil War, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, The Incredible Hulk and Avengers: Age of Ultron have all used that formula you just described
    The issue is that none of them do anything different with the formula and have no twists whatsoever. Most of them movies you mentioned do change some things or add twists. The MCU are just predictable with no twists and have the same tone. They're all safe action comedies with contradicting tones like Doctor Strange who after witnessing Kallius kill a man they have a comedic fight. With the DC movies they have a twist or spin on the formula. With Marvel the only thing they have is just having a new gimmick. Hell the fights were all the same besides the gimmick

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    MCU movies look like the most standard action blockbusters ever now you're just trying to hate on X Men

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Oh boy, whooh! Some maturity right there. I won't go into anything. But I'll say this:

Logan is not based on Old Man Logan. It's not even a loose adaptation. It's barely even an inspiration. The only thing similar with the graphic novel is that Logan killed all the X-Men/Prof. X killed many mutants(supposedly only seven), and that Logan is old. That's it. And that it takes place in future, I guess.
    yet i bet you think Civil War is a perfect adaption despite having nothing to do with it