Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 434
  1. #76
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Superman did not do a complete reversal. The issue was not that he couldn't find himself but if he was truly doing the right thing

    Marvel does that SO much too. You are right these characters have been around for almost a decade. But guess what I don't give a shit about half of them because they were just bland. I cried when Gandalf died in the first movie because he was a competently written character. You don't need a billion movies just to develop one character and likewise you can have as many movies as you want to develop a character but if they aren't written well no one will care. Why should I care about Hulk or Thor or Wanda or Vision or War Machine or anyone not named Captain America and Iron Man? Hell this shared universe gimmick is honestly just an excuse for marvel to make very expensive commercials for the movies that ACTUALLY matter

    I mean after Iron Man 3 despite Stark retiring they never mention him going back to being Iron Man or Thor when the rainbow bridge is destroyed saying he could never get back to earth he just shows up in Avengers with no mention of anything from his movie. How about Scott abandoning his family with the off chance he could lose his daughter again? Even one line of Scott asking Cap what'll happen to his daughter if they get caught and Cap reassuring him he'll try to get the blame off him but no no mention of Cassie what so ever. You say Superman does a 180 yet let this slide?

    Besides Civil War and Spiderman Homecoming there is basically no consequences to their actions and everything returns to status quo. Say what you want about DC they have amazing continuity and have an effect on the universe. Even Wonder Woman ties into BvS with the reason no one knows who Wonder Woman was was because everyone in the little town perished because of the gas

    This is my real issue. People give Marvel Studios a pass for what everyone else does

    The reason why some people didn't like Superman in BvS is because they want Mr Smiles always happy Reeve Superman despite being 40 years old and from a time when totally stupid and cheesy bs in superhero movie was great

    And you know what you can this is my opinion all you want but it goes both way. It doesn't matter what RT or any other bs review agitator cite says they are opinions and opinions are worthless but honestly in 10 years when the mcu dies out people will look back and think these movies are just mediocre with only a few gems but mainly defined by a handful of gimmicks

  2. #77
    Peter Scott/Scott Peter SpiderClops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    7,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Namor'sWrath View Post
    It's the same as a sports team mentality.

    Comic fans who have chosen the MCU as their 'team' will admit no wrongdoing in their movies, no matter how mediocre they may be.
    *sigh*

    Nobody's saying MCU can do no wrong. But when people claim that all those movies are mediocre(because all popular things suck), when they continually succeed with critics, fans and general audience, it sounds like people hating on it just because.
    “Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.”
    -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

  3. #78
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,447

    Default

    I never said the movies are mediocre "because all popular things suck", I gave reasons for believing them to be mediocre. The best ones are the ones that try to be different (so far only the GotG movies and Winter Soldier).

    It's cool if you like them, lots of people do. I just don't. But lots of people like a lot of stuff I don't like; Transformers, Twilight, etc. Doesn't make them wrong, or me right, but I'm not gonna not give an opinion because it's unpopular.

  4. #79
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    515

    Default

    I don't think any CBM movie released thus far or released in the future will stand the test of time. In fact I have yet to watch a $200 million movie period that is memorable. I don't even think there is a $150 million or $100 million movie that is memorable. Other than constant reminders of Box Office records.

    I'm just enjoying them now while I can enjoy them. Who even knows what's going to happen in 10 years and I don't factor my enjoyment now on whether I will enjoy a movie in 10 years. I loved the Spider-Man Raimi movies when they were released, but after watching them recently not as much. See how it doesn't matter because at the time they were released I enjoyed watching them they were my favorite movies to rewatch, and now not so.

    This is the mindset of my MCU bias. You asked why MCU gets a pass, I answered why.

    DCCU's direction just doesn't appeal to me in the same way. But WW has me hopeful for a brighter future.

    Just like how Marvel's movies are forgettable, once DC puts a string of universally likeable movies together, they too will get an automatic pass, and BvS and SS will have been just a fart in the wind which wouldn't even matter 10 years down the line anyways.

    TDK is my all time favorite CBM movie. Yet the only thing memorable about it is Heath Ledger's Joker performance and it hasn't even been 10 years since release. Which again comes down to the character and not the movie itself.
    Last edited by Punjabi_Hitman; 06-25-2017 at 10:09 PM.

  5. #80
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi_Hitman View Post
    I don't think any CBM movie released thus far or released in the future will stand the test of time. In fact I have yet to watch a $200 million movie period that is memorable. I don't even think there is a $150 million or $100 million movie that is memorable. Other than constant reminders of Box Office records.

    I'm just enjoying them now while I can enjoy them. Who even knows what's going to happen in 10 years and I don't factor my enjoyment now on whether I will enjoy a movie in 10 years. I loved the Spider-Man Raimi movies when they were released, but after watching them recently not as much. See how it doesn't matter because at the time they were released I enjoyed watching them they were my favorite movies to rewatch, and now not so.

    This is the mindset of my MCU bias. You asked why MCU gets a pass, I answered why.

    DCCU's direction just doesn't appeal to me in the same way. But WW has me hopeful for a brighter future.

    Just like how Marvel's movies are forgettable, once DC puts a string of universally likeable movies together, they too will get an automatic pass, and BvS and SS will have been just a fart in the wind which wouldn't even matter 10 years down the line anyways.
    That..... might be the best argument I've heard on this subject. I tried to look up big budget movies that were especially memorable to try and prove you wrong, but no luck.

    Maybe big budget movies are just kind of meh in and of themselves.

  6. #81
    BANNED dragonmp93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Superman did not do a complete reversal. The issue was not that he couldn't find himself but if he was truly doing the right thing

    Marvel does that SO much too. You are right these characters have been around for almost a decade. But guess what I don't give a shit about half of them because they were just bland. I cried when Gandalf died in the first movie because he was a competently written character. You don't need a billion movies just to develop one character and likewise you can have as many movies as you want to develop a character but if they aren't written well no one will care. Why should I care about Hulk or Thor or Wanda or Vision or War Machine or anyone not named Captain America and Iron Man? Hell this shared universe gimmick is honestly just an excuse for marvel to make very expensive commercials for the movies that ACTUALLY matter

    I mean after Iron Man 3 despite Stark retiring they never mention him going back to being Iron Man or Thor when the rainbow bridge is destroyed saying he could never get back to earth he just shows up in Avengers with no mention of anything from his movie. How about Scott abandoning his family with the off chance he could lose his daughter again? Even one line of Scott asking Cap what'll happen to his daughter if they get caught and Cap reassuring him he'll try to get the blame off him but no no mention of Cassie what so ever. You say Superman does a 180 yet let this slide?

    Besides Civil War and Spiderman Homecoming there is basically no consequences to their actions and everything returns to status quo. Say what you want about DC they have amazing continuity and have an effect on the universe. Even Wonder Woman ties into BvS with the reason no one knows who Wonder Woman was was because everyone in the little town perished because of the gas

    This is my real issue. People give Marvel Studios a pass for what everyone else does

    The reason why some people didn't like Superman in BvS is because they want Mr Smiles always happy Reeve Superman despite being 40 years old and from a time when totally stupid and cheesy bs in superhero movie was great

    And you know what you can this is my opinion all you want but it goes both way. It doesn't matter what RT or any other bs review agitator cite says they are opinions and opinions are worthless but honestly in 10 years when the mcu dies out people will look back and think these movies are just mediocre with only a few gems but mainly defined by a handful of gimmicks
    Now the cheerful one and likely leader of the Justice League is Wonder Woman. Or maybe the leader is Batman, but the point is that the contrast of light vs dark is with her and not with Superman.

  7. #82
    Mighty Member Redjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lost Angles
    Posts
    1,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Superman did not do a complete reversal. The issue was not that he couldn't find himself but if he was truly doing the right thing

    Marvel does that SO much too. You are right these characters have been around for almost a decade. But guess what I don't give a shit about half of them because they were just bland. I cried when Gandalf died in the first movie because he was a competently written character. You don't need a billion movies just to develop one character and likewise you can have as many movies as you want to develop a character but if they aren't written well no one will care. Why should I care about Hulk or Thor or Wanda or Vision or War Machine or anyone not named Captain America and Iron Man? Hell this shared universe gimmick is honestly just an excuse for marvel to make very expensive commercials for the movies that ACTUALLY matter

    I mean after Iron Man 3 despite Stark retiring they never mention him going back to being Iron Man or Thor when the rainbow bridge is destroyed saying he could never get back to earth he just shows up in Avengers with no mention of anything from his movie. How about Scott abandoning his family with the off chance he could lose his daughter again? Even one line of Scott asking Cap what'll happen to his daughter if they get caught and Cap reassuring him he'll try to get the blame off him but no no mention of Cassie what so ever. You say Superman does a 180 yet let this slide?

    Besides Civil War and Spiderman Homecoming there is basically no consequences to their actions and everything returns to status quo. Say what you want about DC they have amazing continuity and have an effect on the universe. Even Wonder Woman ties into BvS with the reason no one knows who Wonder Woman was was because everyone in the little town perished because of the gas

    This is my real issue. People give Marvel Studios a pass for what everyone else does

    The reason why some people didn't like Superman in BvS is because they want Mr Smiles always happy Reeve Superman despite being 40 years old and from a time when totally stupid and cheesy bs in superhero movie was great

    And you know what you can this is my opinion all you want but it goes both way. It doesn't matter what RT or any other bs review agitator cite says they are opinions and opinions are worthless but honestly in 10 years when the mcu dies out people will look back and think these movies are just mediocre with only a few gems but mainly defined by a handful of gimmicks
    Your thought process on this is so full of errors and assumptions I don't really know where to begin.

    You have no idea why all those people like what they like. You don't seem to understand that nobody is "giving these things a pass" because the people who enjoy them don't feel a pass is needed. Just like with every other movie ever made by anyone.

    Sure there are holes in these films. there are holes in EVERY film. humans make them. therefore there will be flaws. Flaws in plot. Flaws in theme, dialogue, music, sound FX, etc. EVERY movie, every time.

    But not every person will see the same flaws. and not every person will agree that what you see as a glaring issue even exists at all. We are all different and we all come to these movies with different wants and different ideas of what it takes to satisfy us. We aren't all the same, in other words. If you'd simply accept that I think you wouldn't be so angry about something that doesn't actually exist.

  8. #83
    Peter Scott/Scott Peter SpiderClops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    7,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Namor'sWrath View Post
    That..... might be the best argument I've heard on this subject. I tried to look up big budget movies that were especially memorable to try and prove you wrong, but no luck.

    Maybe big budget movies are just kind of meh in and of themselves.
    Harry Potter? Lord of the Rings? Mad Max: Fury Road? The Matrix? Dark Knight trilogy? Nearly all Pixar movies?

    Superman and Batman must've been really high budget at that time. They still get talked about even today.

    Raimi's first Spider-Man movie is a milestone in comic book movies. It made way bigger impact than X-Men(2000).

    The Avengers is going to be remembered for years. It's a crossover movie like no other. Whether you like it or not.
    “Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.”
    -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

  9. #84
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Harry Potter? Lord of the Rings? Mad Max: Fury Road? The Matrix? Dark Knight trilogy? Nearly all Pixar movies?

    Superman and Batman must've been really high budget at that time. They still get talked about even today.

    Raimi's first Spider-Man movie is a milestone in comic book movies. It made way bigger impact than X-Men(2000).

    The Avengers is going to be remembered for years. It's a crossover movie like no other. Whether you like it or not.

    The fact you had to point this out just proves my point of it doesn't matter whether a movie is memorable in 10 years time. Because the general audience don't care and I'm the general audience. I loved these movies lol yet I couldn't recall them off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Punjabi_Hitman; 06-25-2017 at 10:39 PM.

  10. #85
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Someplace thats not here
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    quit being so patronizing

    I don't hate marvel and my issue is more with their fanbase than anything they've actually produced. Only 2 movies I hated the rest I just don't care for
    No your problem is with the very small minority of fans that think Marvel movies can do no wrong. Which in itself is a very small group.

    Most of us enjoy the MCU for what it is and have movies that we really like and some we do not.

    Its not different from the group of DC fans that say the Nolan Trilogy was flawless and were perfect movies.

    They were great movies but they certainly had their share of flaws.

    The reason why a lot of people in the industry and some fans keep on praising these movies is because they mostly were very succesful movies in terms of profit and general success.

    The MCU has yet to have a huge box office or critical disaster like F4, Elektra, Catwoman, Batman and robin or any of the other movies like these that has come before. We are 15 movies deep into this universe and there has yet to be that one big failure. Some of these movies has had somewhat mediocre performance but no outright major bomb yet.

    That impressive nomather how you look at it.

  11. #86
    Peter Scott/Scott Peter SpiderClops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    7,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi_Hitman View Post
    The fact you had to point this out just proves my point of it doesn't matter whether a movie is memorable in 10 years time. Because the general audience don't care and I'm the general audience. I loved these movies lol yet I couldn't recall them off the top of my head.
    The fact that you couldn't recall these movies tells me that you clearly didn't even try. If these movies are not memorable, then I don't know what is. Seriously, Harry Freaking Potter are not memorable movies?
    “Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.”
    -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

  12. #87
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    6,100

    Default

    Dboi2001 :
    I see so many people act like the mcu is total perfection and can never do anything wrong
    where?
    I didn't really care much for a lot of the characters, the plot is painfully thin and drama pretty dull but still had great action and cast with solid acting from everyone. It wasn't pretentious and didn't try to be something it wasn't which I also appreciate. Yet I see so many people claim they make some of the best superhero movies
    best superhero movies means that they are better than others. it doesn't mean that they are perfect.
    I roll my eyes whenever people whine about the X Men movies changing too much yet are fine with everything marvel has done because marvel can do no wrong
    marvel is changing not popular heroes
    fox movies are about magneto/wolverine where x-men are secondary characters.
    obviously more people will be unhappy especialy when Your favorite characters will lost their personal stories and character. x-men had more fans than gotg (pre gotg movies).

  13. #88
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    The fact that you couldn't recall these movies tells me that you clearly didn't even try. If these movies are not memorable, then I don't know what is. Seriously, Harry Freaking Potter are not memorable movies?
    I didn't say they weren't memorable. I meant that it doesn't matter if they are memorable, because I'm not going to remember them until I'm reminded of it.

  14. #89
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    6,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi_Hitman View Post
    I didn't say they weren't memorable. I meant that it doesn't matter if they are memorable, because I'm not going to remember them until I'm reminded of it.
    what about other movies? with small budget?

  15. #90
    Master of Magnetism Magneto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Québec
    Posts
    1,515

    Default

    I don't know where you see this. I think most of us would agree that Thor 1 and 2 + Iron Man 2 and 3 were bad.
    Last edited by Magneto; 06-26-2017 at 07:06 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •