Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default James Tynion IV Leaving Detective Comics/Batman Books

I figured this deserved it's own thread, but James Tynion returned to Twitter to officially announce he is leaving Detective Comics. https://twitter.com/JamesTheFourth/s...39514238570496

"It’s pretty clear from solicits, but unclear enough that folks have been messaging me since yesterday asking about it… But my last issue of DETECTIVE COMICS will be #981, coming out this May.

More than that, it’s my last issue in Gotham City for the immediate future.

I've been working on Batbooks for almost six years. It's hard to say goodbye. It's easier when I'm doing it at the culmination of everything I've built over the last two years in Detective Comics.

The name of the arc, BATMEN ETERNAL, also marks it as the end of a kind of informal trilogy of the three Eternals. They'll always be my Gotham. (My first Gotham, anyways), but I wanted to nod to what this means to me to be stepping off.

And I'll write up something long and sappy with all my special thanks and all of that come May. But until then, there's a lot of work to do. Because I've got big things brewing."

Thoughts on all of this? I was expecting we would at least get a gotham knights spinoff book, but it really looks like Tynion is finished with the batman line. While I know he gets mixed reaction on this forum, I'll be sad to see him gone. I'm gonna take a guess and say he'll probably be one of the new teen titans writers and bring Tim Drake with him.

I just can't see who will be able to replave him on TEC love his run wish they would let him get the #1000 issue

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

It seems Tynion and Williamson are moving with Snyder towards the JL sphere of DC.

He had long running period, his trilogy of Eternals, as he put it.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Pretty bummed about it. There was a lot of stuff his run could have done better, but it was still consistently good, and often great. And it's concerning that there's no clear future for most of the team.

More than anything, I want to know the reason for the change. He'd been so adamant in the past about staying on until #1000 and beyond, and I can't picture No Justice being a draw that would outweigh that.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I didn't mind him so much, but he failed me because of his disingenuousness with the role of Bette.

Basically the tweet or twit/er some months ago, maybe over a year ago "I know what Bette has been up to, and so will you, soon" or pretty much like that.

It would have been better or more honest to say, I don't like the character and she gets a mention or a small appearance 1.5 times a year.

Always Rakzo

Thank God this is finally confirmed. Anything is an improvement after this, anything.

Mighty Member

I wish him the best in his next work and admire his passion for the Batclan. His writing not so much though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Thank God this is finally confirmed. Anything is an improvement after this, anything.
    I can't agree with that. Ex. If they had put Bendis there I would cry.

Depending on who takes over (please, not Tomasi again!), I may find there's a book starring Batman that I'm willing to buy?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I think the Batman team/family belongs in a book called like Batman Family or something and I want Tec to be more Batman (maybe with some occasional team ups, one or two characters) doing more detective-like work in mystery stories. Something different than the superhero-y fare you get in King's Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    I wish him the best in his next work and admire his passion for the Batclan. His writing not so much though.
    That's my opinion as well. I thought he did some justice to Cluemaster in Eternal, I appreciated that, good writing with that aspect.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-21-2018 at 05:14 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    I can't agree with that. Ex. If they had put Bendis there I would cry.
    Eh, at the very least I think Bendis could write the younger members of the team better.

(Hope he doesn't handle the adults though).

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Well I'm glad to hear that its official now. I really haven't liked much of anything Tynion has written thus far so this is good news to me. Now maybe I'll actually be able to read 'Tec again. Here's hoping anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I think the Batman team/family belongs in a book called like Batman Family or something and I want Tec to be more Batman (maybe with some occasional team ups, one or two characters) doing more detective-like work in mystery stories. Something different than the superhero-y fare you get in King's Batman.
    I agree. I'd really like to see something more detective-y and mystery oriented for 'Tec instead of what we've been getting lately there. With a new writer coming on board maybe its a good time for a change of direction as well.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Eh, at the very least I think Bendis could write the younger members of the team better..
    And unlike Tomasi, there's a chance he'd actually use them to some extent. (Also he's a better writer than Tomasi in general)

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    And unlike Tomasi, there's a chance he'd actually use them to some extent. (Also he's a better writer than Tomasi in general)
    Not really, at his worst I can still find Tomasi tolerable despite that his writing can reach fanfic levels (also Tomasi writes Super Sons which has done more for young heroes than any other teen book in recent memory).

I can't say the same about Bendis who at his worst becomes a never ending competition of who says the worst lines.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
    I just can't see who will be able to replave him on TEC love his run wish they would let him get the #1000 issue
    Yeah, pretty much feel the same way.

It seems Tynion and Williamson are moving with Snyder towards the JL sphere of DC.

He had long running period, his trilogy of Eternals, as he put it.
    Yeah. His trajectory, with The Immortal Men and NOPE JUSTICE was pretty clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Pretty bummed about it. There was a lot of stuff his run could have done better, but it was still consistently good, and often great. And it's concerning that there's no clear future for most of the team.

More than anything, I want to know the reason for the change. He'd been so adamant in the past about staying on until #1000 and beyond, and I can't picture No Justice being a draw that would outweigh that.
    Very bummed. It's especially concerning because I think pretty much everyone he chose for the team has no one in their corner in Gotham right now. And if they go with Tomasi, we're almost certainly just seeing Batman and Robin vol. 3. No Kate. No Cass. No Steph. No Tim. No Luke. No Jean-Paul. (On the plus side, no Harper ).

I think the reason for the change is this: DC clearly had a 2-year plan. That's why they've kept so many titles on past the financial breaking point - because they promised the writing teams two years. Tynion has been a really solid seller - but he hasn't been really AMAZING, and I think it's clear that Snyder is dragging him over to Justice League. I don't think Tynion was able to convince DC to let him stay for the extra 19 issues (though I think it might be possible he'll do a short story for 1000, which would be cool). It's clear, with what happened with Tim and The Button, that his plans were getting caught in DC's larger plans, and I think he's trying to end on a high note rather than fight too hard for something that's becoming increasingly difficult. Not to mention his other projects, which were already causing his schedulling issues, with the three fill-in issues last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I didn't mind him so much, but he failed me because of his disingenuousness with the role of Bette.

Basically the tweet or twit/er some months ago, maybe over a year ago "I know what Bette has been up to, and so will you, soon" or pretty much like that.

It would have been better or more honest to say, I don't like the character and she gets a mention or a small appearance 1.5 times a year.
    I think it's really unfair to say that Tynion dislikes Bette. I think what really happened was Tynion had plans for Bette, then Bennett got the solo, so he gave her Bette, but when she didn't do anything with Bette, he brought her back, but decided to leave before he could bring her fully on board.

Her appearance in Tec was a fun one - I think he clearly thinks she's pretty cool. Just didn't have space for her.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Depending on who takes over (please, not Tomasi again!), I may find there's a book starring Batman that I'm willing to buy?
    Well, I've been buying it all along, but I echo the "not Tomasi".

That's my opinion as well. I thought he did some justice to Cluemaster in Eternal, I appreciated that, good writing with that aspect.
    Well, I think it was clear that Tynion would have loved to write a Gotham Knights title.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I think it's really unfair to say that Tynion dislikes Bette. I think what really happened was Tynion had plans for Bette, then Bennett got the solo, so he gave her Bette, but when she didn't do anything with Bette, he brought her back, but decided to leave before he could bring her fully on board.

Her appearance in Tec was a fun one - I think he clearly thinks she's pretty cool. Just didn't have space for her.

Perhaps. It seems plausible. I just think it is better to tell the truth than pussy-foot, or flame-bird around.

Like I said, I did not mind his writing that much; I just felt he promised something.