View Poll Results: What do YOU think DC should do with Wally West?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • DC should give him a solo book where he operates in Keystone. He can also join JLA

52 60.47%
  • Marry him with Linda, bring back kids and retire him.

2 2.33%
  • Kill him at the end of Rebirth.

6 6.98%
  • He's okay as he is now. He doesn't need anything more than Titans

16 18.60%
  • Other

10 11.63%
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Barry came back because middle aged DC editorial hates anyone who replaced a hero from their childhood. So they wanted Barry not just resurrected, but as the indisputable King of the Flashes like he was in the Silver Age, even though Wally had surpassed him as a character and was selling fine at the time. So they screwed up Wally's solo as they made plans to resurrect Barry, and turned Wally into a Z-list character as soon as Barry came back to avoid stepping on his toes.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

The mind-reading abilities demonstrated in this thread would make J'Onn J'Onnz turn green with envy.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The mind-reading abilities demonstrated in this thread would make J'Onn J'Onnz turn green with envy.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Dang right

With the real Wally West back, I don't really care what happens to the impostor. Just make sure he doesn't show up again.

At least DC learned their lesson and is trying to sweep the failed diversity quota push under the rug. Marvel is still being stubborn about it.

Spectacular Member

I think they should just marry and retire OG Wally. There's nothing left for him while Barry is at the forefront. He's essentially stuck stuck now as a character with no purpose. He's no longer a sidekick that'll grow to a new role or replace his former mentor.

DC really messed the character and the mythos up by bringing Barry back. Same with Hal Jordan and the Green Lanterns. The universe had naturally progressed and Wally was the only one to go from sidekick to taking over the mantle of his mentor. With them bringing back dead silver age heroes they really removed any progress the universe had.

With Geoff Johns in charge and with his love of Barry, Barry shall be the main Flash. I think what they're trying to do is remove the legacy aspect of the heroes and replace it with just one flagship name (Bruce Wayne=Batman, Clark Kent=Superman, Diana=Wonder Woman, etc). The same is going in Green Lantern with Hal Jordan being the flagship GL despite popular demand for John Stewart or Kyle Rayner. They want Barry Allen to be name that pops into your head when you hear The Flash, instead of Wally West or Jay Garrick.

As far as NuWally, I don't really keep up with the character but I've always view his creation with racial undertones. I was quite skeptical as to why DC would change such a popular character over the decades black and stereotypical. Considering how conservative DC is with their heroes despite characters race changing in other media forms (Deadshot is still white despite his portrayal by Will Smith) I knew something was up. I came to the conclusion that NuWally was made to degrade the character for Barry Allen. That's just my logical opinion. An entire generation grew up with Wally so they had to push Barry in the New 52 and let Wally comeback but in a way that'll not threaten Barry's status.
    Last edited by Mr HardKnocks; 06-28-2017 at 08:03 AM.

They don't have to retire Wally, just find him a new purpose. Easier said then done, i know, but get creative. Maybe even let go of trying to meet fans expectations with Wally. He doesn't need what he had because he can't be what he was, so do something new and have him evolve into something else.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-28-2017 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr HardKnocks View Post
    I think they should just marry and retire OG Wally. There's nothing left for him while Barry is at the forefront. He's essentially stuck stuck now as a character with no purpose. He's no longer a sidekick that'll grow to a new role or replace his former mentor.

DC really messed the character and the mythos up by bringing Barry back. Same with Hal Jordan and the Green Lanterns. The universe had naturally progressed and Wally was the only one to go from sidekick to taking over the mantle of his mentor. With them bringing back dead silver age heroes they really removed any progress the universe had.

With Geoff Johns in charge and with his love of Barry, Barry shall be the main Flash. I think what they're trying to do is remove the legacy aspect of the heroes and replace it with just one flagship name (Bruce Wayne=Batman, Clark Kent=Superman, Diana=Wonder Woman, etc). The same is going in Green Lantern with Hal Jordan being the flagship GL despite popular demand for John Stewart or Kyle Rayner. They want Barry Allen to be name that pops into your head when you hear The Flash, instead of Wally West or Jay Garrick.

As far as NuWally, I don't really keep up with the character but I've always view his creation with racial undertones. I was quite skeptical as to why DC would change such a popular character over the decades black and stereotypical. Considering how conservative DC is with their heroes despite characters race changing in other media forms (Deadshot is still white despite his portrayal by Will Smith) I knew something was up. I came to the conclusion that NuWally was made to degrade the character for Barry Allen. That's just my logical opinion. An entire generation grew up with Wally so they had to push Barry in the New 52 and let Wally comeback but in a way that'll not threaten Barry's status.

It may just be me but I think DC has done a great job of balancing the characters in the green lantern corps. That title has been my favorite rebirth title by far and each green lantern gets their moments to shine.

I do agree with much of your post however.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    With the real Wally West back, I don't really care what happens to the impostor. Just make sure he doesn't show up again.

At least DC learned their lesson and is trying to sweep the failed diversity quota push under the rug. Marvel is still being stubborn about it.
    Diversity has NOTHING to do with Marvel's sales slump. Nothing at all. There's a lot of factors, and diversity isn't one of them.

Plus, some people like myself and Sakuyamons, and probably tons of other people out there, are far more invested in the new diverse heroes than we ever were in the old guard at Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr HardKnocks View Post

Well, while we are at getting rid of grown sidekicks, lets get rid of Nightwing too. He will never replace Bruce. They have the same powers and abilities wo he has no purpose either. ANY character can work with the right writer.
    I have no beef with Vegans

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Keystone is too close.
    Barry is Big City. I'd like to see Wally in a different location.

Flash Europe? Think Jl: International.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Make him a secret agent.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    They don't have to retire Wally, just find him a new purpose. Easier said then done, i know, but get creative. Maybe even let go of trying to meet fans expectations with Wally. He doesn't need what he had because he can't be what he was, so do something new and have him evolve into something else.
    Well, since he is suppose to have that pacemaker limiting his usefulness as a super-speedster (or whatever it's doing to him), why not confine him to a wheelchair and become a computer/hacker authority for the rest of the superhero community?
    (Nobody else is doing that these days, are they?)

Quote Originally Posted by majorhoy View Post
    well, since he is suppose to have that pacemaker limiting his usefulness as a super-speedster (or whatever it's doing to him), why not confine him to a wheelchair and become a computer/hacker authority for the rest of the superhero community?
    (nobody else is doing that these days, are they?)
    savage ...

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, since he is suppose to have that pacemaker limiting his usefulness as a super-speedster (or whatever it's doing to him), why not confine him to a wheelchair and become a computer/hacker authority for the rest of the superhero community?
    (Nobody else is doing that these days, are they?)
    I'm pretty sure that's only okay if you want a character out of the way in order for a legacy character to play superhero instead, Major.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's only okay if you want a character out of the way in order for a legacy character to play superhero instead, Major.
    Or you know, if you thought that that position fit the character and made them more interesting than they ever had been in the past.
    Last edited by Assam; 06-28-2017 at 04:50 PM.