View Poll Results: What do YOU think DC should do with Wally West?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • DC should give him a solo book where he operates in Keystone. He can also join JLA

52 60.47%
  • Marry him with Linda, bring back kids and retire him.

2 2.33%
  • Kill him at the end of Rebirth.

6 6.98%
  • He's okay as he is now. He doesn't need anything more than Titans

16 18.60%
  • Other

10 11.63%
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

With the landscape as it is, I think the ideal scenario would be the solo in Keystone option. They could also keep him in Titans if he needs to be on a team. I think Barry's footing as the primarily Flash is about as strong as it can be with everything his character has going so I don't think a Wally solo would infringe on that in any significant way.

Allowing both Barry and older Wally to succeed just seems to make the most sense for everyone based on the decision to bring Wally back.

I will also say Wally's book can be lighthearted-fun as well. Have some issues resembling Wally attending to Rogues party or Flash and Substance from JLU cartoon. Basically do the things you can't do in a Barry book.

Extraordinary Member

Wait until Rebirth runs its course. Restore his history as Flash, his marriage, his kids, etc. Then launch a solo title of him in Keystone. Name the solo title either "Wally West: The Flash" or give Wally a brand new identity ala Nightwing for Dick.

how many really want to see his kids back? just curious. i understand if you do, but for me, wally west jumped the shark when that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    how many really want to see his kids back? just curious. i understand if you do, but for me, wally west jumped the shark when that happened.
    The kids are a very divisive topic within fandom. Some people think they didn't get their chance to be properly written while others think having kids didn't fit Wally at all. I'm in the latter camp.

And honestly since kids are very divisive, DC shouldn't even bother with them.

BANNED

I recently re-read all the issues where Jai and Iris were part of the main cast, and while the stories could have been stronger, I found most of the problems to be the writing revolving around Wally himself, and even then it was very rarely bad. All the stuff involving Iris and Jai was great, and I thought Wally as a dad was fantastic, how he acted fitting his personality.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

To me, the kids were a distraction and I could do without them, but I propose their restoration as a concession to the fans who *really* want to see them (and the rest of Wally's original mythos) back. I do stipulate a few conditions (my previous post in this thread), however.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Ultimate Member

wally could definitely carry his own book, although the flash main title is the best it's been in a long time. i wouldn't want wally taking that away from barry right now
    Removing the competition is why Dc has so many ticked off fanbases now.

If Barry's book is that good-it should not matter if Bart, both Wallys, Jessie Quick, XS or whoever can run fast has a solo.

If his book should do better than Barry's much like Jessica & Simon's have at times over Hal's book, that should be a HUGE message to DC. You can have more than one and there is support. You can have more than one that does not ruin the other. It opens you up for more stories in and OUT of comics.

You lessen the chance of someone at the WB ORDERING you to do something-see Tim Drake.

If it's a better book than it's a better book and that mean the Barry team need to do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    To me, the kids were a distraction and I could do without them, but I propose their restoration as a concession to the fans who *really* want to see them (and the rest of Wally's original mythos) back. I do stipulate a few conditions (my previous post in this thread), however.

I think kids shouldn't be restored (they are really not popular, especially when you think not even many Wally fans want them back) but they can be implied or have cameos in time travelling. Correct me if I'm wrong but a similar approach was taken for Don & Dawn too right?

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I recently re-read all the issues where Jai and Iris were part of the main cast, and while the stories could have been stronger, I found most of the problems to be the writing revolving around Wally himself, and even then it was very rarely bad. All the stuff involving Iris and Jai was great, and I thought Wally as a dad was fantastic, how he acted fitting his personality.
    Which is the problem. When you put the kids, the stories stop being about Flash doing fun stuff, it becomes about Flash worrying about kids.

Superman can pull it off now only because he has a second book to focus on his superheroics side.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    I think kids shouldn't be restored (they are really not popular, especially when you think not even many Wally fans want them back) but they can be implied or have cameos in time travelling. Correct me if I'm wrong but a similar approach was taken for Don & Dawn too right?
    More or less, yes. In the back of our heads, we knew that Don and Dawn were out there in Barry's and Iris's future, but they were usually safely far-removed from the action. In fact, I don't think we've EVER seen the Tornado Twins with their dad (though they have met Wally).

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I want them back as babies. Accelerating their aging just made the book a cringey kids book. But I liked the idea of Wally actually having a family beyond Linda. A normal one, unlike Batman, who at the time was the only other leaguer with a kid. Even with Jon Kent, Clark and Lois raising him how they did is a very different dynamic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post

Which is the problem. When you put the kids, the stories stop being about Flash doing fun stuff, it becomes about Flash worrying about kids.
    That's not what I meant. It was when Wally was on his own doing superheroics that the writing was weakest during that era. IMO, it was whenever the kids were involved that the writing got better.

You know what would be weird if Wally were to have his marriage with Linda and his children back as they were before FLASHPOINT: the former Kid Flash would be married with kids while his mentor (Barry) has barely started dating Iris!

fair enough, thanks for the feedback on the west kids everyone. although now that we have the likes of damien wayne and jon kent running around, it's not impossible to bring back wally's kids in some format. but i can't say i'd love the idea completely

Voted for the solo title option. But that's not quite what I want to see.

I figure once Rebirth is over, most of the DC history will be back in place so odds are fairly solid that Barry and Iris will be married again, Bart will be Barry's grandson (likely back to Impulse, if the gods are kind), and Wally will be married to Linda.

Im not as sure about the kids. They weren't popular the first time around, and it'd be a little odd for Wally, who is supposed to be a "generation" behind the League founders, to have kids only slightly younger than Jon Kent and Damien Wayne. Not impossible, and a family dynamic would provide something Barry doesnt have.....but would being a parent "age" Wally beyond what DC wants? It just might not fit the mold they want Wally to fill, but we'll see.

DC might just split the difference and make them infants again. And at the end of the day, I'll be cool with whatever DC decides to do as long as it's handled well and Wally is still called the Flash. Making him go by a different name is too much of a demotion; we're not talking about a former sidekick who carried their mentor's mantle for a short time like Donna and Dick have, we're talking about someone who replaced their mentor for three decades and was *the* Flash for an entire generation of people. You call Wally anything except the Flash and I'm probably not going to support it.

But what I really want to see is a Speed Force book with Wally, Bart, Max, Jesse, Jay, and whoever else makes it out of Rebirth (I'm assuming nuWally will either remain in Barry's book or be taken out of the comics completely. A Flash has to die in a Crisis after all...) Its worked out really well for Detective, it'd give a home to a lot of speedsters who will likely be homeless, and it'd make the book different enough from Barry's to avoid being direct competition. I'm of the mind that Wally in a solo title is still a threat to Barry. Barry hasn't sold that great since his return (not terribly, but not great) and Wally still has a pretty large legion of fans. If I've only got the budget for one Flash book in my pull list, and both Barry and Wally have books at roughly equal quality.....Barry's getting the ax. How many other fans feel the same way? My guess is enough to make a noticeable drop in Barry's sales if we had a viable alternative. A team book however, might be different enough for fans to stick with both, since we wouldn't be getting a "pure" Wally-Flash solo.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.