View Poll Results: What do YOU think DC should do with Wally West?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • DC should give him a solo book where he operates in Keystone. He can also join JLA

52 60.47%
  • Marry him with Linda, bring back kids and retire him.

2 2.33%
  • Kill him at the end of Rebirth.

6 6.98%
  • He's okay as he is now. He doesn't need anything more than Titans

16 18.60%
  • Other

10 11.63%
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    untrue. there's an episode where they are arguing about savitar and she comments that she's the flash of her world. i think it was the episode that no one was giving her respect in.
    She is the Flash of her world but she calls herself Jesse Quick, because of her Dad's nickname for her.

Just like The Accelerated Man is the Flash of Earth-19.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She is the Flash of her world but she calls herself Jesse Quick, because of her Dad's nickname for her.

Just like The Accelerated Man is the Flash of Earth-19.
    so where's the disagreement from your earlier statement? i never said her codename wasn't jesse quick, just that she called herself the flash of her world. which she did.

seems like a stance based on semantics more than substance of the conversation.

oops did not read the thread from the start, ignore what I previously posted.
    Last edited by upgrayedd; 06-27-2017 at 06:03 PM.
    I have no beef with Vegans

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    I don't see the kill Barry again and have him as the only Flash again option.
    The thread-starter already explicitly laid out the reason it's a terrible idea.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The thread-starter already explicitly laid out the reason it's a terrible idea.

I wouldn't say it's a terrible idea. Just one that's 100% unrealistic and therefore unnecessarily inflammatory.

Mind you its not an idea I'm in favor of. While I wish Barry had stayed dead, killing him again would just make things worse.

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    I don't see the kill Barry again and have him as the only Flash again option.
    If you kill Barry again and have him (Barry) as the only Flash again . . . does that mean you don't want anybody to be The Flash?

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I wouldn't say it's a terrible idea. Just one that's 100% unrealistic and therefore unnecessarily inflammatory.

Mind you its not an idea I'm in favor of. While I wish Barry had stayed dead, killing him again would just make things worse.
    I wasn't around when Barry came back, but I'm curious, there is any reason why DC decided to bring Barry back? Or it was 'Oh, I have a great idea and I'm going to mess up the status quo' movement? Was Wally's Flash doing badly on sales?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    I wasn't around when Barry came back, but I'm curious, there is any reason why DC decided to bring Barry back? Or it was 'Oh, I have a great idea and I'm going to mess up the status quo' movement? Was Wally's Flash doing badly on sales?
    It's something they'd wanted to do for a long time and teased on many occasions. But yea, Wally's kid-centered book was not doing well in sales.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    It's something they'd wanted to do for a long time and teased on many occasions...
    ...and BOY, did they ever tease it for years and years, only to pull the rug out at the last possible moment every time. When it finally DID happen for real, I refused to believe it for a long time.

Heck, even now, almost a decade later, I still feel like asking people to pinch me.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

From what I can tell, the decision to bring Barry back happened around Infinite Crisis, a point at which Wally was doing just fine. For whatever reason, he didn't actually end up returning till Final Crisis, by which point Wally's book had dropped in sales substantially; still in the top 75, but now selling under 30,000.

Mostly though, yeah, it was just DC's decision to return to the more "iconic" characters, good storytelling be damned.AKA the same sh**ty mentality that gave us the Nu52.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    It's something they'd wanted to do for a long time and teased on many occasions. But yea, Wally's kid-centered book was not doing well in sales.
    Interesting, does anyone know if the same is happening with Superman? Because Jon is very important to the book, but people seem to love it.

I think there were definitely higher ups in DC who had a fondness for Barry and his adventures, which probably helped, though it seems liked they'd been musing about bringing him back a long while before they actually did (kinda like Babs becoming Batgirl again in a way).

I think the reason they went with Bart as The Flash was to setup Barry coming back, but that bombed so hard they had to bring Wally back to steer things back on course (but by then it was too late).

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Mostly though, yeah, it was just DC's decision to return to the more "iconic" characters, good storytelling be damned.AKA the same sh**ty mentality that gave us the Nu52.
    I don't think a return of iconic or classic heroes to prominence necessarily has to be at the expense of good storytelling, but I guess that's probably going to be subjective.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

For the record, I am 100% AGAINST changing Wally West's identity to anything other than The Flash.
    I realise this screws DC as they've been so gung ho in de-aging Barry by losing his marriage to Iris etc. but I was hoping Rebirth was DC realising their error with the New 52 and course correcting things to not only include, but embrace their 'legacy characters' again.
    It's becoming increasingly likely (IMO) that this is not going to be the case.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Interesting, does anyone know if the same is happening with Superman? Because Jon is very important to the book, but people seem to love it.
    Superman is doing very well in sales. Thankfully,it's the complete opposite of what happened with Wally.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I don't think a return of iconic or classic heroes to prominence necessarily has to be at the expense of good storytelling, but I guess that's probably going to be subjective.
    It isn't inherently bad storytelling is the thing. All in the execution.

Like, Oliver Queen as an example. While I wish he'd just stayed dead, Quiver was a fantastic story, and his return to prominence didn't come at the expense of his allies, the net change in allies at the time actually being +1, with the addition of Mia, with Connor sharing the book with Oli for a good few years, while Roy was consistently doing his thing elsewhere.

Contrast that with Barry's return, which started with a retcon that went against established continuity, and then went on to retcon even more things, with Flash: Rebirth being an absolute s**t show, the only real positive to it being Max finally came back (Not that he did anything after, but its something) And The Flash Family? Yeah, Barry's return to prominence didn't just kick out Wally, it literally wiped out the entire Flash Family.

Then there's the matter of the weight in the resurrections. Oli? He'd died as a nod to DKR, and only stayed dead for a couple years. Not too big a deal. Barry? Died in one of the greatest sacrifices in comic book history, and for over two decades was "The hero who actually stayed dead." Plus, there's the fact that unlike with Wally, Connor didn't have entire story and character arcs based around living up to and surpassing his father/father figure.

For people like Buried I get it, they love the character and would want to see them again. But in Crisis, Barry got what so few characters do. A proper end. I freaking love Jack Knight, but I don't EVER want to see him in a new comic, save for maybe a cameo, because he got a great ending.