Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ⚡ The Scarlet Poster ⚡ Flash Fan #1's Avatar

Default What Was The First Spider-Man Arc/Comic You Ever Read?

For me, it was a weird one. The Trial Of Peter Parker Part 3 Of 4 in Spider-Man #60.

I was really, really young when I picked this up, but from what I remember, it was jam-packed with action and destruction. I couldn't quite figure out why there was another Spider-Man on the cover along with Peter, didn't really know who Kaine was, at least up until the reveal that he was the first clone. Even when he unmasks to Peter, though, I still couldn't figure out how or why he existed. I mean, he mentions Warren via explanation, but I didn't know about The Jackal or where he even was. I also recall being a little scared of Kaine's face, lol.

I remember seeing the panel where Peter's about to unmask himself in the courtroom, but then Kaine stops him. I recall it feeling like a big deal to me and that Peter was about to make one hell of a decision. I also couldn't understand why a guy looking like Peter was in said courtroom, all the while Spider-Man was with Kaine. For some reason, I couldn't grasp that Reilly was a clone. Not reading the issues before this was a big reason for being lost.

I didn't know who stunner was and how Kaine killed Otto.

In terms of the art, I really resonated with it when I read this as a pre-teen kid. I remember thinking and feeling like, "Yeah, this is how Spider-Man should be drawn." Lean, muscular, big white eyes on the mask, the web-pits.

What about you guys?
    Last edited by Flash Fan #1; 06-27-2017 at 12:50 AM.

Fantastic Member

Ratty, tattered run of ASM 80s through 160s found in the crawl space of the house I moved into as a kid.

I choose to finish them despite there being a slew of playboys in that stash - so I must have found something I liked - beyond the 80's playboy with the blonde girl holding an umbrella looking very surpised on the blue cover. Guess I was Around 8?

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

The first Spidey comic I ever read was one of the TPB collections of JMS' run. I think it was either "The Life and Death of Spiders" or "Until the Stars Turn Cold", but it might also have been Unintended Consequences or any of the earlier volumes of JMS' run (before Spidey joined the New Avengers).

BANNED

The Harry Osborn saga from Spectacular Spider-Man in the nineties. The very pinnacle of that character.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    The Harry Osborn saga from Spectacular Spider-Man in the nineties. The very pinnacle of that character.
    i love how much love that run gets in this forum. nobody i've ever met irl has even heard of it. for real, its the best spidey run of all time.

my first was WEB OF SPIDER-MAN annual #5 - similar to the otp, it was an ATLANTIS ATTACKS crossover that made zero sense to me. but i loved it. i got it from my cousin when i was a kid in the late 90s. i dunnu why he gave it to me. i've been hopelessly hooked ever since XD
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN / PETER PARKER: THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN / BEN REILLY: SCARLET SPIDER / RENEW YOUR VOWS / SPIDER-MAN / SPIDER-GWEN / VENOM / GWENPOOL, THE UNBELIEVABLE / X-MEN GOLD / X-MEN BLUE / ASTONISHING X-MEN / GENERATION X / WEAPON X / JEAN GREY / ICEMAN / ALL-NEW WOLVERINE / OLD MAN LOGAN / CABLE / ARCHIE / BETTY & VERONICA / JOSIE & THE PUSSYCATS / JUGHEAD / RIVERDALE / SABRINA

🖤🖤 read my MARVEL fan fiction 🖤🖤 read my weekly MARVEL reviews 🖤🖤

Amazing Spider-Man #10...1964.....yep,!!! I'm old..got it off the spinner rack.

Quote Originally Posted by namor View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man #10...1964.....yep,!!! I'm old..got it off the spinner rack.
    so jealous. hope you hung on to some of them even tho i grew up in the 'digital age' i have such a fondness for physical floppies ... i kinda hate that i missed that era of spinner racks and things.
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN / PETER PARKER: THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN / BEN REILLY: SCARLET SPIDER / RENEW YOUR VOWS / SPIDER-MAN / SPIDER-GWEN / VENOM / GWENPOOL, THE UNBELIEVABLE / X-MEN GOLD / X-MEN BLUE / ASTONISHING X-MEN / GENERATION X / WEAPON X / JEAN GREY / ICEMAN / ALL-NEW WOLVERINE / OLD MAN LOGAN / CABLE / ARCHIE / BETTY & VERONICA / JOSIE & THE PUSSYCATS / JUGHEAD / RIVERDALE / SABRINA

🖤🖤 read my MARVEL fan fiction 🖤🖤 read my weekly MARVEL reviews 🖤🖤

I forget what issue it was, but I know it had Giant-Man and The Wasp appear and Aunt May in the hospital.

My first story arc would probably be the Ultimate Clone Saga.

⚡ The Scarlet Poster ⚡ Flash Fan #1's Avatar

I guess I should also mention that, while not the first issue I picked up, the Todd McFarlane adjectiveless Spider-Man #1 was a book I bought after the one I mentioned above. I liked the down and dirty, grunge feel of that #1 and how Peter was drawn in costume, as well as how scary Conners was depicted via Calypso's machinations. I'm in the process of re-reading that run, at the moment.

Why isn't it fondly remembered? I recall hearing from certain folk from a podcast I used to listen to absolutely loathe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I forget what issue it was, but I know it had Giant-Man and The Wasp appear and Aunt May in the hospital.

My first story arc would probably be the Ultimate Clone Saga.
    Are you referring to the Clone Saga of Ultimate Spider-Man? If so, was it any good? I think I read one issue of that arc, and I've been wondering for years if I should go back and finish it.

First one I remember was the 'Maximum Carnage' arc. Not my first comic but it was the first time I actually started picking out my own comics and buying with my allowance.

It caught my I when I went to my local card shop because I had recently been introduced to Venom via the 90's show. Venom is forever one of my favorite characters and Carnage my most despised due to that arc.
    They are, in other words, posed the way their male colleagues are typically posed. They are posed as heroes.
    G. Willow Wilson in regards to this picture.

The very first Spidey comics I ever read were a pair of "Amazing Spider-Man Classics" - I think one was the first appearance of Vulture and another with Spidey v. Human Torch.

But the first "new" issue I ever read was the issue of "Web of" that had Spidey face to face with... Peter Parker?!

It was, of course, Ben Reilly. The issue also had a tale about the clone being born.

I was sucked in.

-Pav, who remembers liking all the extra content too...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

BANNED

Back in the day the early mid 1980s I was introduced to Spectacular Spider Man issues 117-119 where Sabretooth was a wimpy whiny bitch when Spider Man shot webs into Sabretooths face

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    The very first Spidey comics I ever read were a pair of "Amazing Spider-Man Classics" - I think one was the first appearance of Vulture and another with Spidey v. Human Torch.

But the first "new" issue I ever read was the issue of "Web of" that had Spidey face to face with... Peter Parker?!

It was, of course, Ben Reilly. The issue also had a tale about the clone being born.

I was sucked in.

-Pav, who remembers liking all the extra content too...
    I adore the clone backup story in the first arc of Clone Saga. Really good stuff by J.M Dematteis.

Marvel Tales #52.
    It came in a bag of three comics for 50 cents.
    It had to be around winter of 1974. I was 9 years old.
    s-l225.jpg
    Last edited by Mike; 06-26-2017 at 03:30 PM.

A reprint of AF#15 in an issue of Dynamite magazine. Mid-1970s sometime. Donnie and Marie Osmond were on the cover.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.