Amazing Member

Default Batgirl #12 Preview/Discussion

From multiversity comics:

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/previews/batgirl-12/

Time for her to make a splash

That's a cool cover, but can't help but notice that questionable seem line.

Always Rakzo

Well, this wasn't bad at least but that doesn't make it good either. Is a stand-alone story that tries to play with Babs' skepticism (which doesn't make much sense considering that thing she has seen) but it has a pretty quick and simplistic resolution and thus, the issue feels pretty light in content.

Good art at least.

I thought this was pretty weak, I liked seeing some of Babs old friends from Burnside, especially Frankie (Why isn't she Oracle instead of Gus?) but the "science" in this issue was pretty weak. Even by comic book standards. My suspension of disbelief will only stretch so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    the "science" in this issue was pretty weak. Even by comic book standards. My suspension of disbelief will only stretch so far.
    Yeah pretty much, it felt more supernatural than it did scientific. The art is quite nice though, and seeing Babs perform a mixture of detective work including research was alright. Honestly just the fact that the comic didnt have some rando dude or another 3 day relationship taking up the plot was refreshing enough for me.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

The art was GORGEOUS - I'm a huge fan of Carlini, and Cris Peter's colors are close to Allan Passalaqua's work in drama and intensity. Much better than Mat Lopes's flat, flat, flat colors for Wildgoose's pretty pencils.

But the story was really dull. Babs's supporting cast is still paper thin (though it's nice to see them show up again), and the whole science vs. superstition thing was completely wrecked by the way the annoying ghost hunter person was right about the solutions to the ghost problem - really lack of care taken in the way the conflict was setup and resolved on the writer's part.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Yeah the art was lovely. I did like that ghost hunter girl. I thought she was fun. I feel it would have been better if they went the Supernatural route, a magic ritual involving enough people in a pool to make a lost girl take corporeal form makes more sense than what actually happened.

The art was pretty. Suited the themes of the issues.

Didn't like how Babs was a supernatural skeptic though. She should have at least indulged the idea a bit more. But I agree it should have been a supernatural route. It would've made a nice ghost story after all the tech stuff in previous issues just for diversification of the genres that batgirl could be. I mean she was fighting vampires in Justice League Dark a while back, a little indulgence would have been nice. I feel like Babs' investigation could have been done by herself over getting help from the science students and we could have gotten more pages to further the mystery somewhat and fit more action shots in especially with the artist on this issue.

But it was an alright issue. The writing is still the same as usual.

Mighty Member

Being a supernatural skeptic in DC seems dumb and this story was dull. They really need to fix Babs supportkng cast, they are bland at best and annoying at worst.

This was fun. It was what it was, and i enjoyed it.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-28-2017 at 10:51 PM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    Being a supernatural skeptic in DC seems dumb and this story was dull. They really need to fix Babs supportkng cast, they are bland at best and annoying at worst.
    So true. I want to like people like Frankie and Qadir, but they have no personality.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

A solid enough done-in-one. I'm just happy this title feels like Burnside Babs again. And actually the high-tech seance was cute, pretty funny as a concept, and reminded me immediately of Batgirl helping Supergirl deal with freaky-deaky Phantom Zone jazz in Orlando's book. On the whole, I actually am kind of ... THRILLED ... with Babs' current storylines being a little less melodramatic and superhero-high-stakes and just being a back-to-basics approach to what's fun about Batgirl. Everything from playing with the eidetic memory to revitalizing classic 70s Batgirl villains to giving her a social network to the new Birds of Prey dynamic is good to me. Nothing's perfect, there's plenty of things I can nitpick. Too much Babs/Dick shipping, the new Oracle is lame, Lady Viper deserved a way better redesign. But hey! Can't win 'em all!

I'm sure we'll have our fill of high-stakes melodrama when this Nightwing/GHOSTS OF OUR PAST/Ship-fest gets started.

My god. We've got like CBR and Newsarama articles about how it's a reunion ... but literally Dick and Babs have been in every four or five issues of each other's solo titles.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com