Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Default Share Your Canon

When it comes to comics and all the different writers, you clearly end up with tons of different continuities / stories.

So, for your favorite characters, what defines your canon? Such as backstory & motivations. Do you stick with what was written first and dismiss later contradictions as retcons? Do you change with the writers and go with what was most recently said? Or do ya just pick and chose at random with whatever you feel is best?

Share your canon for your favorites. What stories & characterizations did you like best? And what retcons, or plain changes, do you hate & subsequently ignore?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    When it comes to comics and all the different writers, you clearly end up with tons of different continuities / stories.

So, for your favorite characters, what defines your canon? Such as backstory & motivations. Do you stick with what was written first and dismiss later contradictions as retcons? Do you change with the writers and go with what was most recently said? Or do ya just pick and chose at random with whatever you feel is best?

Share your canon for your favorites. What stories & characterizations did you like best? And what retcons, or plain changes, do you hate & subsequently ignore?
    I love questions like these.

For me the Marvel Universe ended during Secret Wars all of my favorite heroes died a heroes death, they fought against ambivalent universal beings that stood above them (*cough* us the reader *cough*), and won. They died and were reborn back into the version that I love, so when I reread my favorite stories it is like my heroes start anew and end in Secret Wars in a endless cycle, until the day I myself cannot read those stories (VERY META I know).

I consider the current Thor run to be a self contained story that has nothing to be the larger Marvel Universe and once Aaron is done I will consider it a part of a singular run.

Aside from that, I disregard any Spider-Man story after One More Day, I disregard anything after Morrison's New X-Men (I mean X-Men to me does not have a continuity), and Bendis' run on Avengers and events I consider a singular story.

Other then that I really consider a new run by new creatives as a whole new continuity, because if I don't do that the stories no longer have any emotional weight. For example, the death of heroes are trope that has been used to death (pun intended), but if I were to take each run a new continuity then each death means something because once the writer leaves that particular character is gone forever.

i only acknowledge the continuity established by David Michelinie and Nick Spencer when it comes to Scott Lang. Fraction liked the character and wrote some entertaining Ant-Man stories. but i think he took it too far sometimes. he had Scott murder someone in prison. that directly contradicts his origin story; where the warden described him as a model prisoner. and I'd erase all of Defalco's Ant-Man stuff if i were given a chance. he clearly wanted to use Hank Pym (who was already being used in an Avengers title). and it showed. Bendis' take on Scott can go with him to DC; for all i care. Nick Spencer's version is closest to how i see the character. oh and a shout out to John Ostrander for writing a brief if great portrayal of Scott in his Heroes for Hire book.

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads...807-rco011.jpg
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 11-27-2017 at 09:34 PM.

BANNED

Anyone who doesn't write Wanda as a pillar of the Avengers franchise...as a noble and powerful woman who has overcome adversity...is doing it wrong.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post

Anyone who doesn't write Wanda as a pillar of the Avengers franchise...as a noble and powerful woman who has overcome adversity...is doing it wrong.
    Did this change happen after Bendis? I never really read any of the Avengers pre-Bendis
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 11-28-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I'll accept almost anything about Victor von Doom as canon except things written by Mark Waid and Steve Englehart. I may think of a few others but that's it for now

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Did this change happen after Bendis? I never really read any of the Avengers pre-Bendis
    Yes, this was a pre-Bendis Avengers comic.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

if given a choice, I'd make Tom Defalco's Season One Ant-Man continuity actual canon. I think that he made the character and Bill Foster more relatable. it was a simple if smarter take on the origin.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Merriam-Webster definition

noun: can on

Definition of canon

1 a : a regulation or dogma decreed by a church council
    b : a provision of canon law
    [Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin, from Latin, model]
    : the most solemn and unvarying part of the Mass including the consecration of the bread and wine
    [Middle English, from Late Latin, from Latin, standard]
    a : an authoritative list of books accepted as Holy Scripture
    b : the authentic works of a writer the Chaucer canon
    c : a sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works the canon of great literature
    4 a : an accepted principle or rule
    b : a criterion or standard of judgment the canons of good taste
    c : a body of principles, rules, standards, or norms
    according to newspaper canon … a big story calls for a lot of copy —A. J. Liebling

• canon is not to be confused with a heavy artillery known as a cannon.
    • It is a word that goes back centuries and not since the camera was invented.