Default Digital vs Paper

How do you like to read your comics? Digitally, or the old fashioned way?
    Is it an age thing?
    I used to love going to the comic shop when I was younger. When I recently became nostalgic and wanted to read some of those issues again, it occurred to me that I could probably download them and that's just what I've been doing.
    It's probably a cheaper way to do it and certainly takes up less space.
    Funnily enough though I still must have a physical book.

BANNED

Paper.

I have not been in a physical comicbook shop in years though. The only one I have easy access to is run ineptly.

Invincible Member

Paper, but I realize that digital will be the wave of the future.

I get both but digital is more convenient. I've got access to my complete library via the iPad practically at all times with no need to move around and sift through heavy boxes.

We immigrated from overseas and I had to leave most of my book collection (novels and some manga) when we did so I value digital as much as print.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Paper all the way I cannot get into reading on tablets or PC just feels weird. I have started to adjust for reading novels, but comics are still a no go digitally.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

If I were to read a novel, yes, I would go digital, but for some odd reason, I would not read comic digitally.

Spectacular Member

Paper I like the feel of it plus I like owning stuff. With digital you don't really own it. I get that the digital is convent but that's never really been something I cared about for comics. Gonna suck if we ever go full digital. I won't fight it but it will be lame. I dont go to stores though I order everything through amazon/ebay or get print subs. I would go to stores but only thing near me is midtown in the city and they over priced with stuff.
    Last edited by murderousjohnny; 06-30-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Honestly, digital is just so much more convenient, I just can't go back. Same with books.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Honestly, digital is just so much more convenient, I just can't go back. Same with books.
    I'll agree with this in terms of comic books. For about 6 years now, I've read my comics exclusively in digital, either via my iPhone or my laptop. For me, I began reading comics digitally because I was in a foreign country and didn't have access to American comics. Once I knew where I could get American comics, I decided not to buy paper ones since I knew that I would have to lug all of those back to the U.S.

In the same vein, I have a ton of paper comics and TPB's already at home. As my house is being renovated and I'm about to move soon, I've already started to clean out and donate a lot them. Buying new comics and TPB's would just be a hassle. With everything digital, I don't need to reserve tons of space to hundreds of titles.

Still, I'm more open to using paper books. Now, I do have an app that allows me to read borrowed books from my library on my laptop. And as someone who is still in school and doing research, it's great to have a digital text to read and copy and paste for papers. But I don't mind using physical books. I'm still a little suspicious and leery about having everything technology based. I'd rather keep something physical and low-tech on hand.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Amazing Member

Digital for me. I'm in my 50s and I sold all of my floppies over a decade ago. I went through a trade/hardcover period, but then I got rid of most of those about 5 years ago. I've been ComiXology only since early 2012.
    I love reading comics on a big tablet. Right now that's a 12.9 inch iPad. The convenience is great, the books look great, and I spend less on content, given that I can load up on books after they drop in price or otherwise go on sale and I never have to rebuy a book because it's been released in a "better format."
    I'll admit to being a bit of a minimalist. I don't like having clutter lying around, and because of that all of my media--comics, books, movies, tv shows, music--has been converted to digital files only.