Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Speaking of Ferdinand no one has commented on his changed appearance. Originally he was a just big man with the head of a bull, your standard Minotaur. Liam Sharp drew him more bull like, with hooves instead of feet and made him more monstrous. Like Cheetah's redesign it was an interesting choice.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm not really sure Soule did either. To his credit, I'm glad he introduced Hessia, the first Amazon in the present day that I didn't immediately dislike. But he had most of the conversations between her and Diana be about Clark instead of, y'know, general Amazon stuff that's actually important. There's also crap like having Clark defend Diana's honor from Apollo, disregarding what little characterization Steve got from Johns and wrote him as a bitter jerk, etc. To his credit, he did put more effort into exploring the God of War stuff than Azzarello ever did, but Azz was able to treat Diana herself much better by sidestepping the romance altogether.

Well firstly, the book was about their romance so Diana talking about it was okay and obvious. Hessia had more of a story than just talking about their relationship obviousy. Soule said he had a story planned for Hessia and WW centric altogether which comes together with that speculation and hint of Donna being introduced in the book as well. There was a story with Dooms Doors, Aaron Lord etc...But all of that was cut, which even readers of the book would've rathered had those stories told than pointless crossovers.

Superman had a talk with Bats too there was balance with that. Diana held up long enough against Doomsday and this was before she became God of War. Even against Rebirth Doomsday Rebirth WW got slapped around. She kicked two Kryptonian soldiers' asses while Superman couldn't and was lost not knowing how to stop them. Superman got slapped by Apollo. But Apollo is the Sun God and powered up Superman unintentionally. Zod complimented Diana in his own weird way, Strife fangirled over Superman. There was balance there.

What was wrong with him defending Diana? She can defend herself but that's what boyfriends do in general.

Steve was a a bit of a bitter jerk in Justice League too. But the petty contrived drama is irrelevant, was and could be overlooked because it did nothing for the story. But that pettiness, doesn't compare to the obvious unnecessary pettiness in Rebirth.

The God of War bit, I agree. I liked the explanation and feats Soule gave but that was ignored and turned into something awful by Tomasi.

Diana was the better character and more mature in the book as well. Only when Tomasi took over was a total 180.
    Last edited by LoveStar; 07-03-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    Blonde Hippolyta giving birth to Jason was shown before the events of Rebirth and this current run. In every appearance since (such as in Trinity and the recent Tazmanian Devil special), Hippolyta has been brunette. That seems to indicate that DC is actually paying pretty close attention to this run.

Circe's appearance in Trinity also happened before Rucka wrote her appearance in this run. How could they make Circe look like Rucka's version when Rucka's version hadn't actually appeared yet? Again, that's no indication that DC is ignoring his stories.

The only real contradiction is what Abnett did with Donna Troy, but that doesn't even make sense with his own stories, much less with Rucka's.
    I just found out it wasn't only the physical appearance.

Seriously, how come DC lets another writer do that? Now it confirms Circe's origin is tied to the N52 Amazons and to exactly the main detail Rucka wanted to retcon.

EDIT: oh great! Now I discover this was from an issue before Rebirth. Sorry for the overreaction, folks.
    Last edited by DoctorWho; 07-04-2017 at 05:36 AM.

Well, well, well. I had almost forgotten about this TRINITY issue. So essentially, Rucka's return just made things clear as mud as to who exactly the REBIRTH Wonder Woman is.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveStar View Post
    Well firstly, the book was about their romance so Diana talking about it was okay and obvious. Hessia had more of a story than just talking about their relationship obviousy. Soule said he had a story planned for Hessia and WW centric altogether which comes together with that speculation and hint of Donna being introduced in the book as well. There was a story with Dooms Doors, Aaron Lord etc...But all of that was cut, which even readers of the book would've rathered had those stories told than pointless crossovers.

Superman had a talk with Bats too there was balance with that. Diana held up long enough against Doomsday and this was before she became God of War. Even against Rebirth Doomsday Rebirth WW got slapped around. She kicked two Kryptonian soldiers' asses while Superman couldn't and was lost not knowing how to stop them. Superman got slapped by Apollo. But Apollo is the Sun God and powered up Superman unintentionally. Zod complimented Diana in his own weird way, Strife fangirled over Superman. There was balance there.

What was wrong with him defending Diana? She can defend herself but that's what boyfriends do in general.

Steve was a a bit of a bitter jerk in Justice League too. But the petty contrived drama is irrelevant, was and could be overlooked because it did nothing for the story. But that pettiness, doesn't compare to the obvious unnecessary pettiness in Rebirth.

The God of War bit, I agree. I liked the explanation and feats Soule gave but that was ignored and turned into something awful by Tomasi.

Diana was the better character and more mature in the book as well. Only when Tomasi took over was a total 180.
    Not seeing any balance. The defeat of two Kryptonians was the most impressive she got but the majority of feats went to Clark. To say nothing of how most of the book dealt with Superman stuff. That the writer's plans were derailed by crossovers shows you who DC prioritised in this relationship. At least, with Steve Diana doesn't have to struggle for attention

Steve was not petty in Justice League

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Not seeing any balance. The defeat of two Kryptonians was the most impressive she got but the majority of feats went to Clark. To say nothing of how most of the book dealt with Superman stuff. That the writer's plans were derailed by crossovers shows you who DC prioritised in this relationship. At least, with Steve Diana doesn't have to struggle for attention

Steve was not petty in Justice League
    She held her own against Doomsday long enough for that time. She was the one that still had the upper hand against Zod and Faora. She was the one as the better fighter, more open and showed more maturity within the relationship.

The comparison with Steve is not the same...apples to oranges... he is a supporting character that can easily be put in the background anyway. Trying to balance two main characters together is obviously much harder but that's no excuse to being lazy and unwisely scrapping stories that again would've been much better. Obviously DC's priority decisions weren't good.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveStar View Post
    She held her own against Doomsday long enough for that time. She was the one that still had the upper hand against Zod and Faora. She was the one as the better fighter, more open and showed more maturity within the relationship.

The comparison with Steve is not the same...apples to oranges... he is a supporting character that can easily be put in the background anyway. Trying to balance two main characters together is obviously much harder but that's no excuse to being lazy and unwisely scrapping stories that again would've been much better. Obviously DC's priority decisions weren't good.
    And if Soule had allowed a WW villain to beat Clark, I'd have granted him that. Her beating Zod and Foara doesn't compare to how many times Clark was depicted as the superior one. She was only written as wanting to be open about the relationship not the most mature.

That point about scrapping stories also applies to the New 52

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    Well, well, well. I had almost forgotten about this TRINITY issue. So essentially, Rucka's return just made things clear as mud as to who exactly the REBIRTH Wonder Woman is.
    That wasn't a Trinity issue. Circe is a blank slate again and Rucka's doesn't contradict anything.

I'm just getting into the Wonder Woman comics and started with Rebirth. With that being said, I did enjoy this issue.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    Wonder Woman, I thought.

Clear as mud is exactly what the entire DC continuity seems like to me. It's actually incredible that I can type DC and continuity in the same sentence without my laptop crashing.
    Last edited by brettc1; 07-06-2017 at 04:44 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

This is why caring about continuity is silly, and runs that try to codify continuity are sillier!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    This is why caring about continuity is silly, and runs that try to codify continuity are sillier!
    And some people would think THAT'S a silly opinion.

How many people would still buy this comic book regularly if EVERY issue was independent of the events in previous or future issues? If in one issue Wonder Woman kills Ares, then in the next issue she's romanced by Ares, and the issue after that she's Ares' twin sister? If Steve Trevor is then killed off in the issue after that, only to be born by Diana one issue later, followed by a sex change where he becomes the new Queen of the Amazons the issue after that?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think how well Rucka's 2nd run will hold up depends a lot on how well DC follows through on the foundation he laid, which now appears to be less concerned with who she is and who she is not, rather than sorting out what happened and what did not (if that makes any sense).

Likely because Rucka knew the continuity shenanigans of Rebirth were going to be stretched out over another few months, he didn't bother sorting out exactly what Diana's current continuity is. He spent the majority of his run trying to course correct from Azzarello's interesting, but decidely off-brand interpretation of the mythos.

Personally, I found it somewhat unsatisfying, but, again, I was probably wanting it to do more than what Rucka set out to do. That said, I think he's laid down enough of a foundation here for future writers to build on.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
    Related: Beastiamorphs > Ani-men