Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Not all Wonder Woman's villains need roots in Greek Myth.

To me their are two types of WW villians.

1. Villains that represent the dangers of man's world. These are your Veronica Cales, Dr. Cyber's and Angle men. These villians tend to have tenuous connection to myth, and in fact tend to be science base (take a drink every time you hear the word docter used when referring to a WW

2. And myth based villains. And I mean myth in general not just greek myth which I feel would be far to limiting. Part of WW's development should be her encountering other cultures and the gods and heroes associated
    With them. Myth based heroes include Ares, Circe and Cheetah.

You also have villains that I feel are in one catagory but would be more interesting if placed in the other. To me that includes Giganta who I really feel would work better as a more myth.based character.

I wholeheartedly agree. I prefer if Diana and her villains operate in a lot of different milieus - myth, sci fi, etc. It's too limiting and "tidy" if everything is connected to Greek mythology. She can be broader than that.

I would love for a wider variety of villains.

I PREFER that her most often recurring villains have an origin closer to hers. This is why I advocate for Circe to be a prisoner on Themyscira, Cheetah to be empowered by Greek divinities, and Ares be her half-brother.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Variety is the spice of life. All mythological villains would make the book quite stale(i.e. Azzarello's run). Baron Blitzkreig, Kung, Red Panzer, Giganta, Dr. Cyber, Angle Man, Armageddon, Paul Von Gunther, and Sumo The Samurai are all great non-myth based villains.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

BANNED

I would say that myth based villains should be the meat and bone of the WW rogues gallery, as in they make up the majority.

Then for the extra spice, you add the non-myth characters, your scientists and aliens smart enough to take on a god. But there shouldn't be very many of these.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I would love for a wider variety of villains.

I PREFER that her most often recurring villains have an origin closer to hers. This is why I advocate for Circe to be a prisoner on Themyscira, Cheetah to be empowered by Greek divinities, and Ares be her half-brother.
    This made me laugh. First, you say you want variety. Then, you make her top three baddies less so?

Cheetah is better with her own story. DC already limits WW too much by not exploring more beyond Greek myth. Joker is the most successful super villain - and he does so without being Bruce's long lost brother. Dr. Doom isn't (arguably) Marvel's #1, because he and Reed are twins, right? I love Paradise Island, but WW's primary story is her leaving home; not all her drama needs to come from there. Let her get out and explore the great big world(s) out there.

I'm not sure what's confusing. I said I want a wider variety of villains. That includes Black Adam, Silver Swan, Lobo, Giganta, the Extremists, Queen Clea, Queen Bee, Blue Snow Man. I prefer that her most recurring, most significant villains are tied much, much closer to her Greek mythology origin. Of her hundreds of potential villains, I'd like Ares, Circe, and Cheetah to be more involved in her pre-superheroic past.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I'm not sure what's confusing. I said I want a wider variety of villains. That includes Black Adam, Silver Swan, Lobo, Giganta, the Extremists, Queen Clea, Queen Bee, Blue Snow Man. I prefer that her most recurring, most significant villains are tied much, much closer to her Greek mythology origin. Of her hundreds of potential villains, I'd like Ares, Circe, and Cheetah to be more involved in her pre-superheroic past.
    I didn't say it was confusing, I said it was funny.

I'm all for a wider variety of villains. But, making her main villains, the ones we see most often, less so doesn't help in that regard. Circe having a history of conflict with the Amazons? Sure. But, I don't see any reason Cheetah needs to be tied to Greek myth as well.

Astonishing Member

Not all Wonder Woman's villains need roots in Greek Myth.

Agreed. Some should be rooted in Roman Myth (which is different from the Greek Myth. There is also Norse Myth and Etruscan Myth too.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    To me their are two types of WW villians.

1. Villains that represent the dangers of man's world.

2. And myth based villains. And I mean myth in general not just Greek myth which I feel would be far to limiting. Part of WW's development should be her encountering other cultures and the gods and heroes associated With them.

You also have villains that I feel are in one category but would be more interesting if placed in the other. To me that includes Giganta who I really feel would work better as a more myth.based character.
    Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    But, I don't see any reason Cheetah needs to be tied to Greek myth as well.
    To provide even more dramatic tension and conflict. If Cheetah's powers are stolen from gods in Diana's faith, Wonder Woman is be positioned between her gods' wrath and mandate, and her personal desire to cure her friend and seek her redemption. It challenges Diana's hubris and sense of what's right and what's fair, versus her selfish desires.

Like you say, it's not essential, but I want Diana's struggles with her top three villains to reflect her specific character kit. No other character struggles with anachronistic hubris the way she does.

Why not another God from a different mythology. I mean Egyptian gods make more sense for Cheetah to be in. Egypt symbols were generally cats. I means at a point Greek and Egypt were okay but to a point.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Why not another God from a different mythology. I mean Egyptian gods make more sense for Cheetah to be in. Egypt symbols were generally cats. I means at a point Greek and Egypt were okay but to a point.
    Well theres Gundra from the Norse mythology.

I don't know, I kind of like Urzkartaga. I guess it doesn't matter now that Cheetah is free of his influence/the ritual.

I'm curious how Cheetah will evolve from Rucka's origin...like will she ever be able to morph between a Barbara and Cheetah form. I don't put it past Barbara to sort that out in the future.

I don't know I like the Indra of trapping a god but here it's a punishment for not being a virgin. Wait she says she was still hungry for flesh but it didn't seem the case when she helps them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Well theres Gundra from the Norse mythology.
    Gundra could be turn out to be pretty interesting.

If she was an outcast Valkyrie that had been stranded on Earth, that would provide her with the reason to be 'evil', but at the same time if you set her up as the head of an all female militia somewhere fighting to carve out their own land, you would sort of cast hers as a kind of counter-Amazons.
    Plus she wouldn't be a pushover when Diana shows up, because a) she'd have the whole Viking mentality going and b) as we saw in Odyssey of the Amazons, Valkyries are pretty powerful.