View Poll Results: What's your final verdict on Greg Rucka's 2nd Run?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

15 20.83%
  • ★★★★

25 34.72%
  • ★★★

20 27.78%
  • ★★

5 6.94%
  • 7 9.72%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Dropped the title after less than fifteen issues.

Obviously, I was not particularly impressed.

Really liked it for the most part but I had some issues that have been covered by others. 4 stars

BANNED

The even-numbered issues were mostly 4s and 5s. The odd-numbered issues were mostly 1s and 2s and a total bore.

On average, it was a 3-star run.

I gave it 3 stars.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Spectacular Member

It was good. The writing was very good, the character portrayals (minus Etta), the gods of Olympus (as much as N52 had a cool design, they just don't fit with the WW universe), the romance, and the return to the mythos. That said, for a run that marketed so much on going back to the core and connecting continuity contradictions it left too much open for interpretation. I mean, Superman Reborn wasn't perfect, but delivered what it promised. So it was disappointing, especially when it had so little action to compensate.

Year One would be the definitive origin if: 1) showed her birth! 2) it had some ambition to be bigger. I mean, although some minor details of the Perez and the movie origin bothered me it had some sense of grand-ness that severely lacked in Year One.

Also, some Rucka tendencies. Some people say he wants every female character to be a lesbian and I thought that was just a homophobic commentary... until now. Ok Diana and the Amazons, but Barbara and Etta too? Also, why turn nearly WW every villain into a tragic villain? I know it showcases how Diana wants to save everyone, even from themselves, but let's just keep it to some of them! Diana's actions are moved by pure love and compassion, so her arch-nemesis should be someone who is moved by pure evil. Why you didn't just bring Silver Swan back if you wanted tragic villains so much?

I just got the rest of his issues after dropping it after 15,

I'd say it was good. And the art was awesome.

I thought it lacked big time superhero action, and rucks was definitely writing it like it was an HBO series.

By the way I have 4 issues to go, where does the recent annual go in the reading order?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Where would you all place his second run among the other WW main title writers? For me, it goes:

Marston
    Rucka's 2nd
    Rucka's 1st
    Perez
    Jimenez
    Luke
    Azzarello
    Heinberg
    Messner-Loebs
    Simone
    Byrne
    JMS/Hester
    Kanigher
    Finch

(I still have to read the Silver and Bronze Age stuff in completion so I didn't list those writers.)
    Dang, Bill Loebs before Byrne? :P

I'd put it like this

Perez
    Rucka's First
    Jimenez
    Rucka's second
    Simone
    Luke
    Byrne
    Azzarello
    Heinberg.
    Finch.

This might change later though overall, I'd give the book a solid 4, I don't think is as good as his first run, but it was a very good year of WW comics for me.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    I'd put it like this

Perez
    Rucka's First
    Jimenez
    Rucka's second
    Simone
    Luke
    Byrne
    Azzarello
    Heinberg.
    Finch.

This might change later though overall, I'd give the book a solid 4, I don't think is as good as his first run, but it was a very good year of WW comics for me.
    Congratulations, your ranking is the correct one! Absolutely this.

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Dang, Bill Loebs before Byrne? :P
    I really didn't like Byrne's run... I actually found a lot of Loebs's to be pretty fun despite the many problems it had.

Fantastic Member

since this was my first time with Wonder woman as a monthly purchase I gave it a 5 because it sets up nicly #26 and on !

we'll get the themyscria (can never return) mystery solved soon, hopefully.

Steve trever & Diana are back as a couple! sweet!(so glad that supes & wondy barf was retconned)

i'll be getting this through the James Robinson run...love most his work.

I had incredibly high expectations, and up to issue 23 I felt confident Rucka would deliver.

I felt it was missing a layer or a level of storytelling. There were several points that another shoe could've dropped, or a realization could flipped the script.

Diana's internal struggles moved WAY too quickly. She adds up Urzkartarga, she moves through insanity painlessley, she barely wrestles with her demons or angels.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

My rankings:

Marston
    Jimenez
    Heinberg
    Perez
    Byrne
    Rucka's 2nd
    Luke
    Simone
    Rucka's 1st
    Finch
    Messner-Loebs
    Kanigher
    JMS/Hester
    Azzarello
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I really didn't like Byrne's run... I actually found a lot of Loebs's to be pretty fun despite the many problems it had.
    I can respect that I liked most of Byrne's run until the timeline got confusing, so I wouldn't want him to come back, but I appreciate him giving me my fave character of the wonder verse.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

It's hard to be objective so soon after ending. It's harder to be objective given the fact that he revived the character after five years of obloquy and oblivion, which persuaded me to stop reading DC for most of that time. And it was definitely better than his first run, although like his first one the pacing was too slow for my tastes. Not a fan of the notion that she can't return to Paradise Island, although of course that just sets up something for a later writer to work around. Still, it's good to have a character that makes sense, a character who's a product of the society that raised her, a character worthy of the title in the Wonder Woman book.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Ends with a (sort of) whimper, not a bang.
    Really hard to say how I feel about it overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    . . . By the way I have 4 issues to go, where does the recent annual go in the reading order?
    Anywhere you want it to. Doesn't really have any direct interaction with the on-going stories.
    HOWEVER, I would suggest reading the Annual at some point prior to issue #25 itself, due to spoilers:
    Diana's interactions with Batman and Superman.
    end of spoilers