Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Supergirl 2005. Any fans of that series?

Today I just started binge reading the 2005 series of Supergirl and I think it's great. Dunno why other people look down on it. Do other people whine and complain about the angel wings which only show up later for a short while anyway

I should get the trades too since 12-13 issues are in the first trade and I'm surprised since most new series for any comic these days only have 5 or 6 issues.

Extraordinary Member

angel wings? never got to far into the 2005 series since I couldn't stand that version of Kara, but are you sure you don't mean the 1996 series where Matrix merges with Linda Danvers and becomes an angel? If so I agree. That was a great series, though as far as I know it's pretty well-regarded.

BANNED

I think there was a thread like this once before, and my personal thoughts on it haven't changed.

It's absolute crap. It gets mildly better later on, but never good, and the first year and a half or so of the book is flat out unpleasant in every way.

I'd recommend investing your money in the recently released fat trade of Peter David's Supergirl. Really high quality storytelling there.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

The 2005 book was mostly awful, the exception being Sterling Gates run toward the end; that material was pretty great considering what came before. Unfortunately it was interrupted with a lot of "New Krypton" crossover, but even then was a high point in that event.

+1 for PAD's superior series!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

The 2005 series has Supergirl getting wings. Other people piss and moan about it but it doesn't bother me.

I don't know much about the Matrix Supergirl from the 1990s but Matrix Supergirl merged with a Linda Danvers which I heard about

BANNED

Haters gotta hate.

I suppose you guys still stuck on the Matrix shapeshifter Supergirl.

I think the 2005 supergirl series is great. My opinion. I don't see anything wrong with it

I don't recall Supergirl from 2005 ever getting wings...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    Haters gotta hate.

I suppose you guys still stuck on the Matrix shapeshifter Supergirl.

I think the 2005 supergirl series is great. My opinion. I don't see anything wrong with it
    I mean, yes, I do think Linda Danvers/Matrix are more interesting than Kara ever is or has been, but that's not why I don't like the 2005 series. I don't like the 2005 series because the art is horrendous, Kara being drawn with the proportions of twig, the stories are trite, and because this series made me feel more emotions toward Kara than ever before...that emotion being hate, as this supposed hero was only slightly less evil than the villains she fought.

I think it had a very big bang at the beginning. But later caved due to waffling on creative direction. Still don't like the costume though.

Extraordinary Member

In my opinion Kara was depicted horribly in the early years when they brought her back in 2004. Angry teenager Supergirl just never sat right with a ton of people, myself included.

You have to suffer through the first 20 issues.

Doesn't get good until the Amazons Attack crossover

BANNED

Well, Nevets, The 2005 Supergirl did get angelic type wings for a little bit but everyone else made a big deal about it. Other people they still make a big deal about it and I find it annoying when people still complain about it

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    The 2005 series has Supergirl getting wings.
    The only time I recall that version of Supergirl having wings is when she and Karen were Nightwing and Flamebird...

Other people piss and moan about it but it doesn't bother me.
    Don't recall that happening - I do recall people having issues with her kissing an alternate version of Kal-El, though...

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    You have to suffer through the first 20 issues.

Doesn't get good until the Amazons Attack crossover
    I honestly never thought I'd see someone praise Amazons Attack.

Just a friendly reminder, folks.

If someone posts something that you believe violates the rules, please use the Report feature located in the bottom left corner of the post in question.

Please do not respond to them. Not only is this a rules violation (see the rules posted at the top of each forum), but it also is more for the staff to clean up

Thanks!
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!