Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    spoilers:
    and Odinson... he's got doubts and prays to Odin he's doing the right thing. He knows Cap is the mortal he trusted the most in his long life and besides that Hydra told him only them can save Jane Foster from the "purgatory" where she was imprisoned. Anyway he feels troubled by all the evil he's seen, yet he trust Rogers because he's worthy while Odinson himself is not.
    end of spoilers
    And I can't help but read that and think this...

Anyhow, Thor is an idiot judging by that description.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Jane foster's situation or as its being referred to as purgatory is more complicated it would seem she was sent to different realm of some kind after she lost the hammer. http://www.cbr.com/exclusive-preview-avengers-9/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    I really don't get where people are coming from who say that the event drags out.
    Those issues are filled to the brim with content.
    I know, every issue has been packed.

But halfway through every single event, without fail, there's always people who complain it's too long and they want it to be over already.

I think some people should just wait for trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I know, every issue has been packed.

But halfway through every single event, without fail, there's always people who complain it's too long and they want it to be over already.

I think some people should just wait for trades.
    Sure but sometimes I see where they are coming from
    I am a huge Fan of Bendis but even I lost a lot of interest in CWII before it was over.
    This time? Not a chance so far.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Sure but sometimes I see where they are coming from
    I am a huge Fan of Bendis but even I lost a lot of interest in CWII before it was over.
    This time? Not a chance so far.
    Yes, CWII was ridiculous in dragging out its story. When you have like three issues that are essentially one long scene, that's nuts.

This is the exact opposite. Every issue is packed with substantial incidents and indispensable moments. There's a density and depth to SE that is rarely found in event comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yes, CWII was ridiculous in dragging out its story. When you have like three issues that are essentially one long scene, that's nuts.

This is the exact opposite. Every issue is packed with substantial incidents and indispensable moments. There's a density and depth to SE that is rarely found in event comics.
    I would say the same could be said about civil war ii the problem wasn't exactly the story or the premise but bendis wasn't the right writer to tackle the story especially when you consider that it more or less setup a lot of what we see in secret empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    I would say the same could be said about civil war ii the problem wasn't exactly the story or the premise but bendis wasn't the right writer to tackle the story especially when you consider that it more or less setup a lot of what we see in secret empire.
    Well the premise is a bit flawed as well given how there are and were characters who had Plot Device/Ulysses's power set, the wrong characters were focused on (should not have sideline She-Hulk, whose history as a defense attorney could have brought an unique counterpoint), the plot never actually being explored in any real detail, not really being much of a war, etc. etc. Didn't matter who you got writing the story, Civil War II would have been a complete disaster regardless.

I have many issues with Secret Empire, but at least it feels like an event (heroes fighting Hydra Nazis) and the pacing really isn't any of the problems I have with the comic.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    And I can't help but read that and think this...

he's ignorant; not an idiot. he's looking at it from an outside perspective. mortals do/did some effed up stuff to each other. who is he to judge? you think he's an idiot because he's following Cap. was he an idiot for working with Tony Stark again; after that Clor business?

Well the premise is a bit flawed as well given how there are and were characters who had Plot Device/Ulysses's power set, the wrong characters were focused on (should not have sideline She-Hulk, whose history as a defense attorney could have brought an unique counterpoint), the plot never actually being explored in any real detail, not really being much of a war, etc. etc. Didn't matter who you got writing the story, Civil War II would have been a complete disaster regardless.

I have many issues with Secret Empire, but at least it feels like an event (heroes fighting Hydra Nazis) and the pacing really isn't any of the problems I have with the comic.
    I think it did who wrote the event and I don't think civil war ii was beyond saving I think given the right writer it could really have been something really interesting compelling even the premise of the storyline and what it was trying to say as a storyline was really intriguing, but like I said it wasn't the premise of the storyline that was the problem it was the fact that bendis wasn't the best choice of a writer to be tackling such a complex and major storyline.

And which character are you specifically talking about that was the wrong character that the story focused on exactly? Carol? I actually felt it was about time she had a major event storyline that she was a central part of honestly so I don't believe that the storyline focusing on her was the problem at all, unless you're talking about another character? I kinda assumed because well why wouldn't I? Everyone hates her character -____-
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 06-29-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    he's ignorant; not an idiot. he's looking at it from an outside perspective. mortals do/did some effed up stuff to each other. who is he to judge? you think he's an idiot because he's following Cap. was he an idiot for working with Tony Stark again; after that Clor business?
    Didn't he beat the s**t out of Stark first before working with him again?
    Last edited by InformationGeek; 06-29-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Based on Widow's insistence that he be freed AND she would pretty much know him anywhere, and is an old man, if you piece it together you come up with Bucky...
    that was my thought. the individual is clearly important to Cap. but it also being hidden. if it is Bucky, Zemo isn't going to be happy.

Didn't he beat the s**t out of Stark first before working with him again?
    no? he tapped his armor w/ his hammer; cracking it. and he personally helped jumpstart Tony; when he was dead.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    While the story was not altogether uninteresting in concept and it's flaws are often over-stated, it was definitely too dragged out. I haven't read it since it was released but I remember it seemed like the last three issues all took place on the steps of the Capital. I do like that the events of CWII have proved to be important in setting up SE so it did end up having consequences.

Fantastic Member

I'm honestly a bit disappointed in him He has been in a hard place lately and maybe doesn't trust his judgment (which has happened to me; thankfully, I was only a student, instead of a god/superhero), but that's still my initial reaction. I doubt he stays on that side, however. As other people mentioned, we didn't see him in some of the "less ethical" previous fights (ie, attacking the religious temple in Atlantis). Hopefully, seeing everything Steve is willing to do to accomplish his goals will strengthen his resolve, since he seems to know that he's in the wrong. I'll be able to deal with that much better than seeing him stand by (or worse, be complicit in) an atrocity.

I've yet to see Thor attack another Avenger. he killed a monster in an early issue of Secret Empire. and, in this recent issue, we see him doubt his alliance with Captain America. and we see Captain America's disappointment in Thor not being fully committed to his cause. other heroes have done far worse. for instance, Carol knew about he negative zone prison during Civil War. and she helped them arrest other heroes. I doubt that Thor knows more than the general public, right now. plus his mind is preoccupied with Asgard and Jane.