Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    Speaking of "out there" Bill Mantlo stories, did you ever read the saga about Sha Shan being forced into the "Light and Love" cult where Spider-Man teams up with Flash Thompson and a redneck trucker superhero who dresses like a warthog and calls himself "Razorback" in Spectacular Spider-Man vol. 1 #12-15? It's...unique.
    Yah, I have those very issues. My first introduction to Mantlo. He's an entertaining writer, and that story was part of what got me to stick with comics, odd enough.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yah, I have those very issues. My first introduction to Mantlo. He's an entertaining writer, and that story was part of what got me to stick with comics, odd enough.
    I first read that story back in middle school and even then, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    Michelinie is my favorite but I would say the best is probably Roger Stern.
    Both are very good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Lee clearly tops then in no order: Conway, JMS, Slott and BMB.
    Lee, Conway, JMS and Bendis are also some of my favorites, but Slott is very hit and miss for me.

Astonishing Member

Lee, Conway, JMS and Bendis are also some of my favorites, but Slott is very hit and miss for me.
    Thank you. Dan Slott's stock has dropped for me with The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 3) and (Vol. 4). Both bad and I dropped the book with the current volume! I may even switch Dan with Christopher Yost.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Thank you. Dan Slott's stock has dropped for me with The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 3) and (Vol. 4). Both bad and I dropped the book with the current volume! I may even switch Dan with Christopher Yost.
    I agree that Volumes 3 and 4 of Amazing Spider-Man have been awful. At this point, I'm only reading it out of habit, but that could come to an end very soon if this level of quality persists.

I agree that Volumes 3 and 4 of Amazing Spider-Man have been awful. At this point, I'm only reading it out of habit, but that could come to an end very soon if this level of quality persists.
    Stop reading books out of habit. You'll feel much better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Stop reading books out of habit. You'll feel much better.
    Probably. What is your take on the current Volume?

Probably. What is your take on the current Volume?
    I stopped reading ASM ages ago because I wasn't enjoying it.

Incredible Member

I don't think there is a BEST Spider Man writer. There are standouts but that is mostly up to personal preference. If a study is done where all the ASM writers are analyzed for their merits and their contributions maybe one can be singled out but the appropriate question for this thread would be Who do you consider the BEST Spider Man writer OR Who is your favorite Spider Man writer.

My favorite writers were JMS and Conway.

Spectacular Member

Uncle Rog and JMS

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noronha View Post
    Uncle Rog and JMS
    Roger Stern?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownEntity View Post
    Roger Stern?
    Yes.

Basically it was SM who made me buy and read comics but as I got older it was PP and the way he was portrayed/written that made stay.

And keeping in mind that everyone (including all the writers) has their vision of how PP/SM should be/act, IMO these 2 are the ones that wrote PP exactly how I expected him to be/act after going through everything he´s been through.

I´d put Stern a little bit ahead because his stories were stronger overall (I, like almost everyone, didn't´t like Sins Past and the Other, even though PP still felt like the PP I want to read).

Nowadays it´s just sad but than again I stopped buying after OMD.

Fantastic Member ZoomZolomonZoom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownEntity View Post
    I don't think there is a BEST Spider Man writer. There are standouts but that is mostly up to personal preference. If a study is done where all the ASM writers are analyzed for their merits and their contributions maybe one can be singled out but the appropriate question for this thread would be Who do you consider the BEST Spider Man writer OR Who is your favorite Spider Man writer.

My favorite writers were JMS and Conway.
    JMS made the biggest impression on me. Conway is a great choice too though. He made a lot of my favorite characters and wrote the best stories. This might be unpopular but Brian Michael Bendis also did some good nice stuff too.
    My name is Hunter Zolomon. Despite what the public believes, I am the fastest man alive

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I stopped reading ASM ages ago because I wasn't enjoying it.
    That's sensible.