BANNED

Default Weird moment in original Uncanny X Men right before issue 150.

To anyone who has read original Uncanny X Men, right before issue 150 there were two issues involving Dr Doom kidnapping Storm and Doom turned Storm into stone.

Then the next issue at the end Storm was saved where she had strong powers to break out of her stone shell.

Then at the end, Doom is all calm and tells the X Men thanks for coming to help or whatever.

The fudge just happen? LOL

BANNED

The X-Men and Doom both wanted Arcade, so they got into a little tussle. It was just a Doombot, anyway.
    Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 06-28-2017 at 08:36 PM.

BANNED

Don't worry, John Byrne thought it was a weird moment too.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

That was a super weak little mini arc I felt it was essentially filler. Also it was so insanely corny how they tried to fake out readers with like "WILL STORM GO SUPER POWERED AND ROGUE TOO????". Like seriously.... please don't, it just trivializes the Dark Phoenix Saga. Thankfully they had the sense to leave it as a (dumb) tease. But yeah Arcade = filler to me, and I distinctly remember the issues you're talking about with Dr Doom like becoming infatuated with Storm out of absolutely nowhere
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Yeah the issues that have Arcade and Dr doom holding Storm hostage and Storm being turned into stone or whatever then her breaking out with super strong powers. Then Doom being all calm like.

Odd story arc right before issue 150

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    Yeah the issues that have Arcade and Dr doom holding Storm hostage and Storm being turned into stone or whatever then her breaking out with super strong powers. Then Doom being all calm like.

Odd story arc right before issue 150
    I think I remember there were explanations like Claremont had some prewritten issues in case he needed to go on a break and I know it was used before I don't know if this is part of that or not. But I think every writer has like pre made filler they can put in if they need to while they recharge creatively between major arcs. Probably can't get away with that too much now though.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

To anyone who has read original Uncanny X Men, right before issue 150 there were two issues involving Dr Doom kidnapping Storm and Doom turned Storm into stone.

Then the next issue at the end Storm was saved where she had strong powers to break out of her stone shell.

Then at the end, Doom is all calm and tells the X Men thanks for coming to help or whatever.

He encased or transformed her in organic chrome, which is probably one of the worst things to do to a person with Claustrophobia. Her Claustrophobia then sent her mind and mutant powers into overdrive....which caused the increase in power.

What should really make you say "Wait a minute...!?!", somewhere around there Doom under dressed Storm and put new cloths on her.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I think I remember there were explanations like Claremont had some prewritten issues in case he needed to go on a break and I know it was used before I don't know if this is part of that or not. But I think every writer has like pre made filler they can put in if they need to while they recharge creatively between major arcs. Probably can't get away with that too much now though.
    Most likely this. I too think it's a weak story, I can hardly recall it because it's not something I like to re-read, unlike many other X-arcs.

I do remember the issues in question but they certainly aren't the strongest work of Claremont. Mostly I remember this as the story Byrne retconned with the revelation that the Dr. Doom in this story was a faulty Doombot and not the actual guy.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I could easily see this being the case here. The story is pretty bland & forgettable. It probably was one of those backup stories they used to have lying around for publication if they ever needed more time on the next actual story so it's essentially filler.

BANNED

Actually, it was UX-Men #147 and Ororo did not use her powers to free herself. According to Dr. Doom he used a "Metabolic Transmuter" to change Ororo from flesh and blood into chrome... Dr. Doom also had an orb that could change her back -- after a struggle Wolverine had Dr. Doom on the ropes, Nightcrawler took to orb, threw it at Ororo and freed her.
    Last edited by ZNOP; 06-29-2017 at 10:30 AM.

BANNED

Yes I know, ZNOP.

I just said right before issue 150.

Doom and Arcade, Storm prisoner turned into stone whatever blah blah.

Then she broke out with her powers gone crazy.

Then Doom is all calm saying thank you whatever at the end.

The fudge did I just read in that one issue or two before issue 150

I sense some hate in this thread...lol
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    I sense some hate in this thread...lol
    Not on my part... I reread UX-Men #147 to refresh my memory before I posted my last response. Ororo wasn't turned to stone nor did she free herself from Dr. Doom's chrominization process... Do I really need to post the page(s) to support my claim?
    Last edited by ZNOP; 06-29-2017 at 04:10 PM.