Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    Stan Lee's writing is certainly campy and can be an acquired taste, but it's a lot of fun.
    I manged to power though about 100 issues of Stan Lee, so if it was going to grow on me I think it would have already. That said if you like it, more power to you.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurus View Post
    I manged to power though about 100 issues of Stan Lee, so if it was going to grow on me I think it would have already. That said if you like it, more power to you.
    Fair enough. I'm impressed you managed to make it through 100 issues of something you disliked. For instance, I've never been able to make it all the way through Denny O'Neil's and Howard Mackie's runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    He made sarcastic Peter funnier than quippy Spider-Man.
    Both are equally funny.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I'm reading ASM Epic collection Great Power now and while it's dated and cheesy and the art isn't the greatest, I absolutely love it!!

Stan Lee has been and always will be the BEST Spider-Writer.
    I am always pulling out my Essential Spider-Man volumes written by him and rereading them.
    He had a way to get a lot of characterization into his work but not at the expense of the action.
    Not many talking heads in his work.

Spectacular Member

So isnīt it now acknowledged that when we talk about Stan Leeīs SM run, we should be saying Lee/Ditko, to the point where right before he left, Dito was the driving force behind the book?
    (bearing in mind of course he only stayed for 33 issues)

Quote Originally Posted by Noronha View Post
    So isnīt it now acknowledged that when we talk about Stan Leeīs SM run, we should be saying Lee/Ditko, to the point where right before he left, Dito was the driving force behind the book?
    Peter wasn't giving long monologues about the virtues of objectivism. I'd say Stan had a little something to do with why that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Noronha View Post
    Ditko stayed through ASM #38 and though he had more to do with the plotting by then, Stan still was writing the dialogue.

BANNED

This will probably be a rather controversial opinion, but I slightly prefer John Romita Sr. to Steve Ditko (both are great though).

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    This will probably be a rather controversial opinion, but I slightly prefer John Romita Sr. to Steve Ditko (both are great though).

I can understand that; I actually sort of agree as most of my favorite "classic" Spidey tales were drawn by JR SR (ASM #39-40, 50 and all of those incredible covers that he contributed even during the years Andru was on interiors). JR SR of course is the reason Spidey became a mainstream superhero with his more classically heroic look as opposed to Ditko's slightly weird and spindly look; he made Peter and the supporting cast much more attractive as well and that cannot be underestimated. But, as you say, both are great and it took me a while to appreciate what Ditko did; as a kid who grew up in the '70's I found the Ditko back issues strange and a bit off-putting as compared to the JRSR/Andru art style I was introduced to the character on.

Ditko's run changed a bit once he became more involved as a plotter. Characters got meaner and the tone became more sinister. Romita was a breath of fresh air, even if it did take the character more into romance-novel territory.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I can understand that; I actually sort of agree as most of my favorite "classic" Spidey tales were drawn by JR SR (ASM #39-40, 50 and all of those incredible covers that he contributed even during the years Andru was on interiors). JR SR of course is the reason Spidey became a mainstream superhero with his more classically heroic look as opposed to Ditko's slightly weird and spindly look; he made Peter and the supporting cast much more attractive as well and that cannot be underestimated. But, as you say, both are great and it took me a while to appreciate what Ditko did; as a kid who grew up in the '70's I found the Ditko back issues strange and a bit off-putting as compared to the JRSR/Andru art style I was introduced to the character on.
    I just always thought Romita Senior's artwork had a more realistic touch to it as opposed to Ditko's slightly more cartoonish approach. Both are top notch, but Romita Sr. wins out ever so slightly for me.