Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mighty Member

I highly recommend Gillen's and Taylor's "Iron Man" runs, as well as Hickman's "Avengers" and "New Avengers". And, King's "the Vision" is a must-read.

So, there was a whole lineup of Ultimate comics? I've heard of Ultimate Spider-Man. Forgive my ignorance. I collected in the 80's as a kid and am now just really getting back into it, so I missed a whole lot.
    Never more than a half-dozen at any given time, with "Ultimate Spider-Man" being the most constant.

Yet 616 is still used in books.
    Outside of the mistake in "Web-Warriors", where and when? (Did Quesada and Breevort give up on this?)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    I highly recommend Gillen's and Taylor's "Iron Man" runs, as well as Hickman's "Avengers" and "New Avengers". And, King's "the Vision" is a must-read.

Never more than a half-dozen at any given time, with "Ultimate Spider-Man" being the most constant.

Outside of the mistake in "Web-Warriors", where and when? (Did Quesada and Breevort give up on this?)
    Does Hickman write anything now?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by acnblj View Post
    So, there was a whole lineup of Ultimate comics? I've heard of Ultimate Spider-Man. Forgive my ignorance. I collected in the 80's as a kid and am now just really getting back into it, so I missed a whole lot.
    There was but it's pretty much over with now, although I still see people reading trades of Ultimate Spider-Man, so I guess Marvel's still keeping in print.

A few of the characters and concepts (Miles Morales, the Ultimates...) they've let bleed over into the main universe.

Invincible Member

Does Hickman write anything now?
    He's putting more energy into his creator owned comics these days. He's got a few over at Image that have been well received.

So, there was a whole lineup of Ultimate comics?
    Yep. There was some rebranding over the years, but the Ultimate comics started with new series based on Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, and the Avengers (albeit renamed "the Ultimates"). Stuff did change over time (for example, Spider-Man became a legacy character, and the Ultimates roster changed to the point that the last iteration, All-New Ultimates, had nothing in common with the Avengers franchise). There were also other miniseries, too, but the aforementioned series were the core.

It was functionally as complete a worlds as the 616/classic Marvel comics one was, albeit shorter-lived. It also had a profound influence on the MCU. For example, the Avengers movie is basically the Ultimates (except the characters themselves are based off their 616 selves).

I've heard of Ultimate Spider-Man.
    Love that series. The first Spider-Man comics I picked up. It was also the only aspect of Ultimate that I really got into. It's also been pretty influential overall; the Mark Webb and MCU movies are using it as source material for creating their adaptations. It also has a lot of strong parallels to the original Raimi movies. Because of that, and the relatively straightforward nature of the series (just follow the books in numerical order and you'll get pretty far before you'll need to google to get your list straight), it's still a good first-time comic for new fans.

Forgive my ignorance. I collected in the 80's as a kid and am now just really getting back into it, so I missed a whole lot.
    Hey, you got nothing to apologize for.

If you were curious about Ultimate, for all the backlog it did pick up, it's still fairly easy to get started in. Most of the original comic are fairly self-contained (as in you don't need to read everything to understand the series in the context of itself) and you just read the trades in numerical order you'll get pretty far before crossovers and other stuff become important. By then, though, I found it easy to make sense of.

Check out this thread.

http://community.comicbookresources....-Reading-Order

There used to be a Ultimate Universe forum on CBR but obviously with no Ultimate Universe there doesn't need to be a forum. If you have any questions about the Ultimate Universe please feel free to ask me, I read that universe from start to finish and have re-read it multiple times. I freaking love talking about it. I'm not trying to discount any other posters on here but I would love to be included
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yep. There was some rebranding over the years, but the Ultimate comics started with new series based on Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, and the Avengers (albeit renamed "the Ultimates"). Stuff did change over time (for example, Spider-Man became a legacy character, and the Ultimates roster changed to the point that the last iteration, All-New Ultimates, had nothing in common with the Avengers franchise). There were also other miniseries, too, but the aforementioned series were the core.

It was functionally as complete a worlds as the 616/classic Marvel comics one was, albeit shorter-lived. It also had a profound influence on the MCU. For example, the Avengers movie is basically the Ultimates (except the characters themselves are based off their 616 selves).

Love that series. The first Spider-Man comics I picked up. It was also the only aspect of Ultimate that I really got into. It's also been pretty influential overall; the Mark Webb and MCU movies are using it as source material for creating their adaptations. It also has a lot of strong parallels to the original Raimi movies. Because of that, and the relatively straightforward nature of the series (just follow the books in numerical order and you'll get pretty far before you'll need to google to get your list straight), it's still a good first-time comic for new fans.

Hey, you got nothing to apologize for.

If you were curious about Ultimate, for all the backlog it did pick up, it's still fairly easy to get started in. Most of the original comic are fairly self-contained (as in you don't need to read everything to understand the series in the context of itself) and you just read the trades in numerical order you'll get pretty far before crossovers and other stuff become important. By then, though, I found it easy to make sense of.
    I just picked up Ultimate Spider-Man vol 1 Power and Responsibility for $4 at a flea market. Gonna check it out. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Check out this thread.

http://community.comicbookresources....-Reading-Order

There used to be a Ultimate Universe forum on CBR but obviously with no Ultimate Universe there doesn't need to be a forum. If you have any questions about the Ultimate Universe please feel free to ask me, I read that universe from start to finish and have re-read it multiple times. I freaking love talking about it. I'm not trying to discount any other posters on here but I would love to be included
    Was Wolverine in the Ultimate universe? If not, I don't want to derail my own thread but could you give me some Wolverine suggestions please?

Astonishing Member

Wolverine was in fact in the Ultimate universe. Though he seemed to otherwise have healing powers like his mainstream self, they eventually changed how his powers actually functioned later on.

He was somewhat obviously largely just in the Ultimate X-Men books as well as the occassional minor bit in Ultimate Spider-man and a somewhat larger bit in one of the Ultimate Hulk stories/battles.

I just picked up Ultimate Spider-Man vol 1 Power and Responsibility for $4 at a flea market. Gonna check it out.
    Nice find. Was it the white cover or the red one?

Thanks!!
    No prob.

Was Wolverine in the Ultimate universe? If not, I don't want to derail my own thread but could you give me some Wolverine suggestions please?
    As PyroTwilight said, he was indeed in it as a regular in Ultimate X-Men. He had several notable guest appearances in Ultimate Spider-Man, too.

As far as recommendations go, based on your starting with Ultimate Spider-Man, you might want to check out the Ultimate Team-Up series (one trade paperback), a miniseries that had Spidey meeting different superheroes. The first one explained how he met Wolverine. Some of the stories are not canonical to the Ultimate universe, but most of them are and were used as background in the Spider-Man comics (Brian Michael Bendis wrote both), so it's very useful to have read when later stories bring them up. Ultimate Team-Up is best read between the Ultimate Spider-Man trades Vol. 3: Double Trouble and Vol. 4: Legacy (since that's were they fit in chronologically).

I also like Ultimate X-Men Vo. 7: Block Buster. Written by Brian Michael Bendis, it has Wolverine on the run from a mystery squad trying to kill him, resulting in him teaming up with Spider-Man. I think the story fits between Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 7: Irresponsible and Vol. 8: Cats and Kings, although continuity is light enough it doesn't really matter.

You should read Ultimate X-Men volumes 1-6 by Mark Millar. Honestly I would recommend reading the entire Ultimate X-Men run but those 6 TPB's are the best of the bunch and can be found relatively cheap. Wolverine is featured a lot in the Ultimate Universe. He makes appearances in Ultimate Spiderman, Ultimates (Ultimate Universe's version of Avengers and what a good chunk of the Marvel movies are based on) and he appears in several mini series. Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk is a great read. If you are digging Ultimate Spiderman, comixology is currently having a sale on the series if you don't mind digital comics.

Side note, Ultimate Wolverine is by far my favorite character. I have a tattoo on my left arm of Logan in his Ultimate uniform. If you want info on that character I'm your guy.

Invincible Member

There was supposed to be a Ultimate Wolverine mini-series with art by Michael Turner but it never came out.

I can't remember if the Ult Hulk vs Wolverine mini ever was completed.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Nice find. Was it the white cover or the red one?

No prob.

As PyroTwilight said, he was indeed in it as a regular in Ultimate X-Men. He had several notable guest appearances in Ultimate Spider-Man, too.

As far as recommendations go, based on your starting with Ultimate Spider-Man, you might want to check out the Ultimate Team-Up series (one trade paperback), a miniseries that had Spidey meeting different superheroes. The first one explained how he met Wolverine. Some of the stories are not canonical to the Ultimate universe, but most of them are and were used as background in the Spider-Man comics (Brian Michael Bendis wrote both), so it's very useful to have read when later stories bring them up. Ultimate Team-Up is best read between the Ultimate Spider-Man trades Vol. 3: Double Trouble and Vol. 4: Legacy (since that's were they fit in chronologically).

I also like Ultimate X-Men Vo. 7: Block Buster. Written by Brian Michael Bendis, it has Wolverine on the run from a mystery squad trying to kill him, resulting in him teaming up with Spider-Man. I think the story fits between Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 7: Irresponsible and Vol. 8: Cats and Kings, although continuity is light enough it doesn't really matter.
    I picked up the Ultimate because it was too cheap to pass up. Red cover I thInk but I'll confirm when I get home. I actually bought ASM Epic collection vol 1 and X-men Masterworks vol 1/2 to get me started with Marvel after 30 + years away. So much to buy/read... I'll definitely ask about Wolverine. The whole thing is kind of daunting. Not sure where or with what to start, so I'm starting at the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    There was supposed to be a Ultimate Wolverine mini-series with art by Michael Turner but it never came out.

I can't remember if the Ult Hulk vs Wolverine mini ever was completed.
    Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk was completed, it took 3 years, but they finished it lol.

The destruction was in Secret Wars (2015) (aka Secret Wars 3) and Miles Morales was from Earth 1610 or the Ultimate Universe and was pulled into the new main universe after the universe was recreated
    Secret wars 4. Secret wars 3 was in the fantastic four comic in the 80s.