Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by a moment closer View Post
    I second that assessment. WTH! So disappointed. Karnak looked great though. Everyone else? Who da f are they trying to kid?! Just awful. Recast, rewrite, and reshoot!
    There is a danger if it bombs in IMAX they start off their TV premičre with bad press.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    There is a danger if it bombs in IMAX they start off their TV premičre with bad press.
    They already buried it on Fridays so they’re probably hoping that no one notices. This only seems to exist through sheer force of Perlmutter’s will and it’ll be remembered as his folly.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

It looks as bad as AoS's ratings. to bad they did not go in more of a Netflix direction.

Serinda Swan as Medusa. I didn't see that coming. The last time she played a superhero, she was Zatanna Zatara on "Smallville."

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Yeah Thing #3 and X-Factor #71

Here's the backstory it led to John Bryne being ticked at Peter David.

Issue 3. Okay, time to go off a little bit. This is a wonderful issue. Quicksilver, who has always been something of a bigot, has had a daughter, Luna, through his marriage to the Inhuman Crystal. The merging of Inhuman and mutant genes produced a strictly human daughter, and Quicksilver wants to mutate her through exposure to the Inhumans' Terrigen Mists. By Inhuman law, this is the father's decision, and as Crystal opposes it, she seeks Ben's help. Very dramatic setup, very personal storyline, wonderfully told. It all comes to a head when, in the middle of the battle, Lockjaw, who for years has been perceived as the Inhumans' pet, speaks one whole line of dialog, revealing that he is sentient and an Inhuman who's gone through the Terrigen Mist, forcing Quicksilver to realize how drastically his daughter could be changed. Lockjaw doesn't ever speak again, save one line of dialog as he and Ben teleport away alone at the end. Beautiful, moving, touching story, very well done, probably my vote as the single best thing Byrne has written at Marvel.

Cut to, eight few years later, X-Factor #71. Lockjaw and Quicksilver meet up with Jamie Madrox (the Multiple Man), who then tries to talk to Lockjaw. Quicksilver then laughs at him and tells him that Lockjaw's "talking" was a practical joke played upon Ben Grimm by Gorgon and Karnak.

Here are Peter David's comments on the issue, from PeterDavid.net:

"For what it's worth, I didn't give a damn about the Byrne story one way or the other. I thought it wasn't bad; not great, but not bad. It did, however, frost the flakes of several writers and the "X-Factor" editor, basically because Byrne's story made the Inhumans look like assholes. John Byrne, foremost advocate of adhering to creator intent, ignored not only sequences where Stan and Jack had the Inhumans referring to, and treating, Lockjaw as their pet or dog, but the subsequent decades worth of continuity that did the same. So, since Quicksilver was going to be in "X-Factor," the writers--and the editor in particular--asked me to take the opportunity to undo that development as quickly and simply as I could. I shrugged, said, "Okay, boss," and did so."

Continuing from the Ever-Lovin' home page:

"The Inhumans don't have pets. Period. I challenge you to go through their various appearances and find where someone has a dog, a cat, even a canary. Why, I couldn't say, but they don't have pets. So why Lockjaw? The knock then is that the Inhumans don't treat Lockjaw as an equal and this makes them out to be "assholes." Yup, I'd tend to agree, save for the simple fact that they're Inhuman. These guys have a long history of acting based on appearance and caste- they're a society built on very different rules from the current mainstream euro-centric society. The Inhumans are not America, and the knock that their actions appear a little, well, inhuman, seems a little egocentric to me. Further, if you start reading through those past issues, he's not actually treated much worse than, say, Gorgon or Karnak are treated by Black Bolt. Finally, the retcon itself is just awful. The reasoning, according to Quicksilver, is that Gorgon and Karnak played a practical joke on Ben while Quicksilver was trying to make a decision which would probably be the most important decision in his daughter's life. Okay, I can accept that Gorgon and Karnak are the kind of, to use the word at hand, "assholes" who would do that at a time like this. But it doesn't work on many levels: Quicksilver, upon learning of it later, would never just laugh it off- "hey, you guys screwed up my daughter's future- pretty funny!". He'd hardly tell it as a funny story months later. While Crystal might quietly accept it to save her daughter, she'd certainly tell Ben the truth in short order. And would Gorgon and Karnak betray the Inhumans to make Crystal feel better? They must have seen literally hundreds of children put through the Terrigen Mists in their day, no? Not to mention Gorgon's having gone through it himself...

"In the end, either interpretation has problems and needs help to make it work. I wish Byrne had taken more care with his retcon, or David with his counter-retcon, just so it would make sense either way. Personally, I think Lockjaw as sentient Inhuman makes perfect sense, and that the eternally angry Quicksilver would try to put a different spin on the incident by lying to Madrox makes a lot more sense than Gorgon and Karnak playing "practical jokes" at that time. In the meantime, Lockjaw remains a man of mystery..."
    Nobody remembers that they have the Alpha Primitives?

Making the Inhumans appear like a-holes doesnt need Lockjaw. Who i dont remember being treated badly. I mean, they may call him a pet or a dog but that's because he looks like one.

Lockjaw looks awesome, but I'm not really convinced about the film as a whole. I've never been that into Inhumans though, so not too surprising, but I was curious until now
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    This was much better than expected. The Royal Family all looked really good, especially Black Bolt. Lockjaw was awesome! I miss the tuning forks on BB and Lockjaws heads though lol.

I agree this looks spectacular.

Any chance of an Agents of SHIELD crossover?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

I'm excited for this, but they missed out by not making it a one shot movie film. Marvel could have had another GOTG like success.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    I'm excited for this, but they missed out by not making it a one shot movie film. Marvel could have had another GOTG like success.
    I think Kevin Feige has earned enough credit that if he doesn't want to touch the Inhumans with a 10-foot pole, it probably is not a particularily filmable property.

looks kind of cool to me but idk **** about the inhumans and never watched AoS. i always wanted to read that inhumans series by jenkins & lee from the 90's though, just looks very cool.

kinda reminds me of the dune tv series from 2000.
    underwhelming sets and wannabe exotic costume designs.
    black bolt is okayish, but his special effect was horribly executed.
    medusa... that wig. guess her moving hair is saved for a special moment to surprise the non-comic reading audience.
    gorgon okayish, special effect little cheap.
    crystal. don´t like the hair pattern, expected more creativity.
    lockjaw looks fine for tv, but didn´t like his cute move in the end.
    karnak, he does karate, he must be asian. failed diversity motivation.
    not sold on maximus

as others mentioned, the population looks too homogenous. they apparently didn´t even try some trek weird nose inhumans.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I agree this looks spectacular.

Any chance of an Agents of SHIELD crossover?
    no but SWORD maybe
    (idk)
    Last edited by abulafia; 06-30-2017 at 03:47 AM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Serinda Swan as Medusa. I didn't see that coming. The last time she played a superhero, she was Zatanna Zatara on "Smallville."
    Ah yeah, thought i saw her somewhere.

Not bad. Will check this out, but how is it Black Bolt can get hurt by a nightstick? And it looks like Lockjaw would provide comic relief in the show.

Spectacular Member

The Dune 2000 mini-series is still the best film version of Dune especially Children of Dune. God, that was amazing. I think it looks good enough. The bar has been raised by Daredevil when it comes to Marvel shows that is almost impossible to get there. It does feel like its going to be the Lord Ramsey Bolton show though. The fact that its 8 episodes will keep the story tight. I have heard that Agents of Shield may be a part of it or they will be part of it when Shield comes back. AOS was really great last season and I am a bit tired of spoiled fanboys who 15 years ago would kill for this, **** all over it for no good reason. It is a shame they don't have the FF, because Crystal joining the FF is one of my favorite storylines.

First of all, I'm old enough to have remembered The Incredible Hulk on CBS back in the day. I was a kid and it was through that lens but I was there for it. Network television has come a long-ass way with live action cape properties. That said this looks very network and as someone who never quite felt AOS, it looks like it operates in the AOS backlot. It looks OK, not real special. The brief shot of Triton looks cool but overall the makeup and effects don't look as fantastic as I feel it is going to need to be. Once it goes to earth I'm sure we'll get a lot regular ass network actors chewing up time that could have been spent with the freaks. We haven't seen much of Medusa's hair and I HATE the fact that Black Bolt is unmasked all the time. Shout out to you Carl Urban! I feel even a lot of comic fans are not real knowledgeable about the Inhumans so in effect that's not a bad thing as they can have a sort of gen-public set of eyes on the show, relatively that is. I'll check it out but even if I had the time, no way in hell I'd go to an IMAX theater for this.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.