Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    "The first issue of the book was overpriced. It's a little more complex than that". No. No it isn't. It really doesn't matter if it has more pages, the initial price is too high, and it discourages people trying it. If it contains extra pages of a crappy story, what's the incentive? Uncertainty is the issue. I only go to my LCS every other week, and there were no zero issues left. Again, I'm not laying out that much for a number one. No thank you.
    When one is so nonsensical that is able to spend 3-4$ for a 20 pages stapled book printed on low quality paper when he can buy the exact same story for a lower price in paperback and on better paper does a dollar really make all that difference? And why? Seems a total psychological thing and also a bit ridiculous given the type of purchase the floppy buyer does.

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    When one is so nonsensical that is able to spend 3-4$ for a 20 pages stapled book printed on low quality paper when he can buy the exact same story for a lower price in paperback and on better paper does a dollar really make all that difference? And why? Seems a total psychological thing and also a bit ridiculous given the type of purchase the floppy buyer does.
    I agree that we are insane to buy add filled floppies or digital issues we don't even get to own for such a high price.
    But even in crazyness, you have to put a bar somewhere.
    For me, it's $3,99. When the price is over that, I don't care if there are more pages, I don't buy it. When I want to pay more in order to get more pages, I buy a trade or a french edition, period.

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    Part of it is absolutely psychological. Some retailers have noted customer reluctance for single issue comics that are $5+. Heck, I've already questioned my sanity buying single issues at $3 a pop (I preorder two months in advance to get 23% off cover price). When publishers pull random double ships, higher priced issues, and crossovers/events requiring one to buy 2+ more extra books, that makes me question my sanity extra harder.

Note, Marvel TPBs average around $3/issue at MSRP and uses the same crappy paper as floppies. At least the cover is cardboard.

Another caveat, for most, a new book isn't just an extra $1-2. It's $4-5 extra unless you have a series you were following that just ended. Mosaic was also fighting for the same retailer and customer dollars as Death of X #1 & #2, Civil War II #7, Civil War II: The Oath #1, Clone Conspiracy #1, Champions #1, Prowler #1, Solo #1, Jessica Jones #1, Infamous Iron Man #1, etc just on the Marvel side. Then you have the variants whose primary purpose is to get folks to shell out $$$ for multiple copies of the same book. I know Champions had a 1:1000.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 07-03-2017 at 01:12 PM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

All-New Member

"Hiring in comics is largely based upon personal relationships and handshakes. "

This has not been my experience, at least in the literal. I've met every editor I've ever actually worked with, save one, AFTER I started working with them. IF I've met them in person. There's a lot I've never actually met.

Comics is a relationship business, but it is possible to have those relationships via email.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jordan View Post
    "Hiring in comics is largely based upon personal relationships and handshakes. "

This has not been my experience, at least in the literal. I've met every editor I've ever actually worked with, save one, AFTER I started working with them. IF I've met them in person. There's a lot I've never actually met.

Comics is a relationship business, but it is possible to have those relationships via email.
    "Largely."

Fantastic Member

Justin Jordan: This has not been my experience, at least in the literal. Comics is a relationship business, but it is possible to have those relationships via email.

Me: And it's best to keep in mind that your work experience isn't the end-all-be-all one that everyone else experiences.