Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Spidey's Best Battles

Hey folks. Just wondering what you all think are Peter's best ever in-continuity showings in battle. The obvious number one has to be beating down Firelord (even though many consider this ridiculous, it happened, and it has never been retconned). It would be tough to top beating a Herald of Galactus. Aside from that rather obvious, and controversial, showing, what stands out for you?

Here's some of my favorites:

1) Spidey's beatdown of Kingpin in Back in Black
    2) The battle with Ock during the Gang War arc
    3) Spider-Man Vs Hobgoblin in ASM #251
    4) Spidey's first battle with Morlun
    5) The battle with Juggernaut in ASM #229-230
    6) The first battle with the Sinister Six

Those are the only ones I can think of for now.

Incredible Member

- Spider-Man vs Puma - ASM 272 - PPSSM 111, PPSSM 170-171
    - Spider-Man vs Firelord - ASM 269-270
    - Spider-Man vs Mister Hyde - ASM 231-232
    - Spider-Man vs Juggernaut - ASM 229-230
    Last edited by ngroove; 07-10-2014 at 12:56 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Turlast View Post
    Here's some of my favorites:

1) Spidey's beatdown of Kingpin in Back in Black
    2) The battle with Ock during the Gang War arc
    3) Spider-Man Vs Hobgoblin in ASM #251
    4) Spidey's first battle with Morlun
    5) The battle with Juggernaut in ASM #229-230
    6) The first battle with the Sinister Six

Those are the only ones I can think of for now.
    "Gang War"??? Octavius was never in "Gang War" - ASM 284-288.

I was referring to the Owl/Octopus Gang War in Spectacular.

I just thought of another one: Spidey making the entire X-Men team look rather foolish in Secret Wars. Also, Spidey taking out the Kraven family in Grim Hunt. I also seem to remember him breaking into Avengers Mansion and blowing through several team members in Mark Millars 'Marvel Knights Spider-Man.'

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Petotto Parkavius View Post
    I just thought of another one: Spidey making the entire X-Men team look rather foolish in Secret Wars. Also, Spidey taking out the Kraven family in Grim Hunt. I also seem to remember him breaking into Avengers Mansion and blowing through several team members in Mark Millars 'Marvel Knights Spider-Man.'
    Great Spidey Battles should be Spidey actually "going the distance" over seemingly way-out-of-his-head odds, rather than quick "shocks" of moments of out-of-character violence.

Some of my personal favorites, just off the top of my head:

1)Spidey never giving up in “Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaught”
    2)The fight against Norman (and its resolution) in “A Death in the Family”
    3)Spider-Man’s first fight with the Scorpion (a serious threat at the time) in the Lee/Ditko run in Amazing Spider-Man #20.

And the ones you’ve all suggested are great too!

Though not from the comic books, I like the final fight between Green Goblin and Spider-Man from SM1.

BANNED

Juggernaut - ASM 229-230
    Firelord - ASM 269-270
    Iron man 2020 - ASM Annual 20
    Venom - ASM 300

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Great Spidey Battles should be Spidey actually "going the distance" over seemingly way-out-of-his-head odds, rather than quick "shocks" of moments of out-of-character violence.
    I'd say the parameters for a great fight are in the eye of the beholder. I'm of the opinion that Spidey can hold his own against basically any hero or villain in the MU below the Thor/Hercules/Hulk/Hyperion/Gladiator strength class. Each fight is different, of course, and must be judged individually. I do not say he can or should win many of these fights, only that he can hold his own against a wide variety of opponents who are quite a bit stronger and tougher than he is, due to a number of factors, including his indomitable will, fighting style, years of experience, genius level intellect, and, probably most important, his ability to seamlessly use all his powers in concert with one another - with his spider-sense guiding him - in what I've heard called 'Maximum Spider' mode. I love it when he wins by tricking somebody more powerful, or overcomes incredibly long odds due to his simple, steadfast refusal to ever, EVER give up a ton, as any Spidey fan does, but I also enjoy the comparatively rare times when he doesn't hold back due to, usually, extreme anger, and shows what he's capable of. In that vein, I enjoyed the above battles. It's fun to see Spidey turn off the jokes and really cut loose every once in a while.

BANNED

I'd say the parameters for a great fight are in the eye of the beholder. I'm of the opinion that Spidey can hold his own against basically any hero or villain in the MU below the Thor/Hercules/Hulk/Hyperion/Gladiator strength class. Each fight is different, of course, and must be judged individually. I do not say he can or should win many of these fights, only that he can hold his own against a wide variety of opponents who are quite a bit stronger and tougher than he is, due to a number of factors, including his indomitable will, fighting style, years of experience, genius level intellect, and, probably most important, his ability to seamlessly use all his powers in concert with one another - with his spider-sense guiding him - in what I've heard called 'Maximum Spider' mode. I love it when he wins by tricking somebody more powerful, or overcomes incredibly long odds due to his simple, steadfast refusal to ever, EVER give up a ton, as any Spidey fan does, but I also enjoy the comparatively rare times when he doesn't hold back due to, usually, extreme anger, and shows what he's capable of. In that vein, I enjoyed the above battles. It's fun to see Spidey turn off the jokes and really cut loose every once in a while.
    What I loved about the Secret Wars skirmish with the X-Men is how nonchalantly he slapped them around. That moment filled me with pride to be a Spider-fan, and I was a
    big X-Men fan back then, particularly of Wolverine. Spidey also made Titania look stupid in the same story a little later.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    What I loved about the Secret Wars skirmish with the X-Men is how nonchalantly he slapped them around. That moment filled me with pride to be a Spider-fan, and I was a
    big X-Men fan back then, particularly of Wolverine. Spidey also made Titania look stupid in the same story a little later.
    Me too. He effortlessly tore through them, mocking them the whole time in typical Spidey style. The fights with Titania were great, and included one of my all time favorite Spidey quotes. Titania, in disbelief, yells something along the lines off: 'you're so fast! Nobody's that fast!' to which Spidey replies, 'Nobody ELSE.'

BANNED

Spidey vs. Deadpool all of them.

Spiderman vs. Venom.

Spidey vs. Daken

BANNED

Me too. He effortlessly tore through them, mocking them the whole time in typical Spidey style. The fights with Titania were great, and included one of my all time favorite Spidey quotes. Titania, in disbelief, yells something along the lines off: 'you're so fast! Nobody's that fast!' to which Spidey replies, 'Nobody ELSE.'
    Which plays into later stories involving titania & spider-man and caused her to be fearful of Spidey afterwards.

And to make Titania lose her fear of spidey , absorbing man purposely took a fall.