Spectacular Member

Default Batman Knightsquest (Canon Read Through #40)

Here I am 40 reviews in and it's time for a new Batman. After a crushing defeat at the hands of Bane in Knightfall, Bruce has passed the mantle onto Jean Paul Valley.

This is a huge arc surrounding the new batman and has lot's of changes for the modified character.

You can check out my full thoughts on the link below.

I look forward to hearing yours after seeing the great discussion that came from the Knightfall Review

Batman Knightquest Review

Cheers
    Last edited by Deffinition; 06-30-2017 at 08:03 AM.
    Check Out My Batman Canon Read Through And Review Here, From Year One all the way to Rebirth

Batman Canon Read Through And Review

I'm Also On Patreon. This all goes towards buying new graphic novels so if you like my reviews please pledge whatever you can. Thank you.

Deffinition Patreon

Spectacular Member

Just realised I called it Knightsquest in the title, fml, don't think ive got this name right once when talking about it
    Check Out My Batman Canon Read Through And Review Here, From Year One all the way to Rebirth

I'm Also On Patreon. This all goes towards buying new graphic novels so if you like my reviews please pledge whatever you can. Thank you.

Deffinition Patreon

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

For people reading the review, it's best to remind them that you're basically just reviewing Batman Knightquest: The Crusade.

Knightquest The Search....Bruce's journey with his broken back. That will be in the second Knightfall saga Omnibus, first time it is being collected.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Spectacular Member AzraelOnline's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    For people reading the review, it's best to remind them that you're basically just reviewing Batman Knightquest: The Crusade.

Knightquest The Search....Bruce's journey with his broken back. That will be in the second Knightfall saga Omnibus, first time it is being collected.
    Is it really going to be collected in the Volume 2? I'm hoping it will be but haven't seen any confirmation online yet of the official listing of issues collected into it.
    Azrael Online - The Source for all things Azrael

...should expect this. Not for nothing but may want to maybe give that review a re-read out loud for the errors.

Anyways, the biggest complaint I always read is people complaining about the lack of A-list villains in this arc, with the exception of the Joker of course. It should be noted that The Joker, as well as Catwoman, are both able to recognize that this is not their Batman. Catwoman mentions pheromones I think while Joker is able to deduce by the way that he moved.
    A humorous, unmasked aspect worth noting too is JPV being very confused by feelings for Catwoman, pretty much hinting at wet dreams I think, haha.
    Again going back to the type of crime and such that JPV encountered, a lot of people forget that Batman comics back in the 70's-90's weren't all about massive story-arcs and big life changing events, but about the small piddly stories as well which made those larger arcs all the more special as standouts. O'Neil and company basically did the same thing taking it back to basics to show how the new Batman handled the types of things the old did to show the difference. O'Neil has often said the character was not made for fans to hate him either, just to show how someone who isn't Bruce or completely trained by him would handle things.
    Knightquest is also a story of JPV trying to find footing not just as Batman, but as himself as, ever since 'The System' took over, he lacks memories of his own upbringing, as evidenced by flashbacks of his father doing his work implementing things into his subconscious throughout his childhood unbeknownst to him. Eventually, you get to know who JPV is, as he finds the answers as well, in his solo book.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I'm so irritated that The Search isn't included in my digital collection. But at least it's in the Radio Drama.

I quite liked the Gunhawk and Gunbunny story - when I read that a few months ago, it sent me into a rabbit hole of following Pistolera's history. I firmly believe that somehow she got resurrected, because she shows up as Gunbunny after Pistolera is murdered by Deadshot in Secret Six when Dixon was writing Batman and the Outsiders.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AzraelOnline View Post
    Is it really going to be collected in the Volume 2? I'm hoping it will be but haven't seen any confirmation online yet of the official listing of issues collected into it.
    Oh, The Search is indeed coming:
    https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Knight.../dp/1401274366

Now, how they intermix it with The Crusade will be interesting. I custom bound Knightfall and think there is plenty of room to place The Search issues in stupid less ideal spots.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Oh, The Search is indeed coming:
    https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Knight.../dp/1401274366

Now, how they intermix it with The Crusade will be interesting. I custom bound Knightfall and think there is plenty of room to place The Search issues in stupid less ideal spots.
    Nice, I didn't realize Amazon updated the listing. I don't see it being 960 pages though for 38 issues. That's what they specked Volume 1 at and it was 31 issues; 33 if you look at the fact Knightfall and Bane are double-sized.

BANNED

They should have kept Bane as the villain all the way up to Knightsend imo.

Spectacular Member

Yeah I was wondering what happened with the Bruce arc, he just mysteriously shows up fully healed, glad theyre collecting it but doubt I will end up picking it up tbh.

Thanks Azarael Online for making me go back and re read my review I really need to proof read these more as there's some massive mistakes. Cheers

Deffinition Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Deffinition View Post
    Yeah I was wondering what happened with the Bruce arc, he just mysteriously shows up fully healed, glad theyre collecting it but doubt I will end up picking it up tbh.

Thanks Azarael Online for making me go back and re read my review I really need to proof read these more as there's some massive mistakes. Cheers
    That's always been fans biggest question - how does he just appear healed all of a sudden. The Search isn't that many issues. By todays' standards it's basically the size of a standard trade because, you know, DC decided to get cheap and makes trades 6-7 issues now....
    I agree with JBatmanFan05 though, I too am curious how they are going to stick the issues for 'The Search' into the trade for an easy read.