Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Should they bring back the Wonderdome as a concept?

Or something like it. I've always felt that superhero hideouts were location based manifestations of the heroes themselves. If Batman was a location and not a person he would be the Batcave for example. Brooding dark and adorned with gagets.superman and the fortress of solitude have a similar relationship. To me the wonderdome works because it is essentually a floating castle. Castles are both homes to royalty (Diana is a princess) and a fortress ( a nod to Wonder Woman as warrior). It's it's ability to fly both symbolizes WW's own supernatural nature and the fact that WW is a nomadic hero who unlike Batman and Superman isn't particularly tied to a particular city and needs a hide out that can go we're ever she goes. I like the concept of the Wonderdome , but wasn't a fan of its origin. Making it an alien seemed kind of jarring in WW which seems more rooted in the magic and gods corner of the DCU. If I were to bring it back I'd probaly make it more magical in origin.

Only if it isn't in love with Diana

Clark & Diana Whata Team! Super-Wonder's Avatar

Until recently I would have said Paradise Island was Diana's Fortress of Solitude or Batcave, just without the solitude.
    Though I liked the Wonder Dome it also became a character in the title and I'm not sure that I would like to see any more attention taken away from Wonder Woman.
    Wonderfully Superb

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Wonder View Post
    Until recently I would have said Paradise Island was Diana's Fortress of Solitude or Batcave, just without the solitude.
    Though I liked the Wonder Dome it also became a character in the title and I'm not sure that I would like to see any more attention taken away from Wonder Woman.
    The Wonderdome if sentient could easily be slid into a batcave/Alfred like supporting role. Alfred is a supporting character that really is at home in in his role and isn't really a threat to outshine the main character in anyway.
    The island is more like her krypton. It's were she comes from. In my opinion paradise island shows up way to much in a story which is essentually about her leaving home and traveling the world.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 06-30-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Spectacular Member

I was never a fan of the Wonder Dome concept as it was originally presented in Eric Luke's run. I always thought it cut Diana off from humanity. Once she acquired the Dome she spent her time "above us" in her flying dome going around the world finding a conflict to resolve. Once again her supporting cast was jettisoned and the only people she interacted with were the gods and the Titans. I think this is the run where we got Devastation as the big bad. Cassie and Artemis showed up once or twice and they tried to have her get involved with a Hindu god whose name escapes me at the moment. I don't mind if she has a place similar to the Batcave and the Fortress of Solitude, but it should not cut her off from civilization.

I wasn't a fan of the execution of the Wonder Dome either. It's an imperfect comparison, but I think of Themyscira as her Fortress of Solitude/Batcave. She hangs with her sisters to get recharged - of course in this continuity she needs to be able to be let back to the island for it to work. I'd rather see other Wonder concepts developed, like Transformation Island, before the Wonder Dome is redeveloped.

Incredible Member

Just to echo what most have said: only if it isn't sentient, as was originally intended.

Nope. Bad idea.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    ... I've always felt that superhero hideouts were location based manifestations of the heroes themselves...
    I agree with you on this, which is why I'd argue that the Wonderdome doesn't fit her very well. It reminds me of the issue in Simone's run where Diana goes to the arctic to contemplate, and says to herself (paraphrasing), "I don't get what Clark sees in this place." She isn't the type to want a 'man-cave.' As The IADC pointed out, it separated her from the rest of us.

Even if she can't go home again - as I agree that the island is her fortress - I think something like the embassy works better for WW. It wasn't there simply as a place where WW could escape to, it was there for others to escape as well (see The Hiketeia for example).

I like the name...thats it. I don't think it should be mobile but maybe it could have portals to other dimensions or maybe it has a portal to Paradise Island, plus like the Cave and Fortress it would contain stuff from her enemies and would also have dangerous magical artifacts so on one else would use them.

Incredible Member

Probably not. If a superhero's "base" is meant to be an extension of the superhero, then I would expect Wonder Woman's base of operations to be some kind of sanctuary which welcomes all visitors and anyone in need of help. Maybe even a homeless shelter. I'm not sure how it would work exactly - perhaps a portal to a small slice of paradise where people can get warm, get clean, eat some food and then be on their way again?

I guess an official Themysciran Embassy is the closest concept that I can think of. Somewhere anyone is welcome to come in the event of need. It operates somewhat as a philanthropic / charitable entity, but also as a place for people to come and petition Wonder Woman's help in current world events (e.g. to help broker peace between two warring nations). It would be protected magically so that no harm can come to those who enter its boundaries. And it could house a number of Diana's friends and rehabilitated foes.

A Themysciran Embassy is probably the closest to a "base of operations" that I can think of as being appropriate for Diana. I guess, basically just a return to Themyscira House (and associated embassies worldwide): http://casscain.wikia.com/wiki/Themyscira_House

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Probably not. If a superhero's "base" is meant to be an extension of the superhero, then I would expect Wonder Woman's base of operations to be some kind of sanctuary which welcomes all visitors and anyone in need of help. Maybe even a homeless shelter. I'm not sure how it would work exactly - perhaps a portal to a small slice of paradise where people can get warm, get clean, eat some food and then be on their way again?

I guess an official Themysciran Embassy is the closest concept that I can think of. Somewhere anyone is welcome to come in the event of need. It operates somewhat as a philanthropic / charitable entity, but also as a place for people to come and petition Wonder Woman's help in current world events (e.g. to help broker peace between two warring nations). It would be protected magically so that no harm can come to those who enter its boundaries. And it could house a number of Diana's friends and rehabilitated foes.

A Themysciran Embassy is probably the closest to a "base of operations" that I can think of as being appropriate for Diana. I guess, basically just a return to Themyscira House (and associated embassies worldwide): http://casscain.wikia.com/wiki/Themyscira_House
    Yeah I don't see a need for the wonderdome concept to return.

OT:I just want to say that as a Get Smart fan, I appreciate your username.

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Only if it isn't in love with Diana
    heh, the concept of a moving fortress as a base is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    I agree with you on this, which is why I'd argue that the Wonderdome doesn't fit her very well. It reminds me of the issue in Simone's run where Diana goes to the arctic to contemplate, and says to herself (paraphrasing), "I don't get what Clark sees in this place." She isn't the type to want a 'man-cave.' As The IADC pointed out, it separated her from the rest of us.

Even if she can't go home again - as I agree that the island is her fortress - I think something like the embassy works better for WW. It wasn't there simply as a place where WW could escape to, it was there for others to escape as well (see The Hiketeia for example).
    I disagree with the notion that the Wonderdome isolates her. It's a moving structure it can be where ever she needs it to be. And for all we know an enchanted castle could be crawling with all kinds of attendants magical beings and all kinds people Wonder Woman has picked up in her adventures. It is a kind of fortress but it wouldn't be a solitary one. I really don't see WonderWoman staying in one city long enough to build any kind of perminate structure. Diana, from conception has always been a nomadic hero, and I don't think that was a mistake on her creators part. While Superman and Batman's lives tend to revolve around a city, Wonder Woman has always been a traveler. When she traveled to man's world it really was the "world" she was traveling to and not just a particilular part of it. Her supporting cast and villains also seem to be nomadic by nature. Steve and Etta are government agents, the Wondergirls aren't particularly tied to a city. Cheetah is international in her scope. Ares is to big a threat to be limited to one city, same with Circe, Dr. Cyber and really most of WW's rogues. When you look at it that way a moving base makes sense for a transiant heroine like Diana.

So I'm halfway thru a concept revision of the Wonderdome, Invisible Jet, and Hall of Justice, but I want to know what YOU feel are essential elements to what the Wonderdome absolutely needs, is, operates, etc.