Default Hellboy in Hell Library Edition vs SDCC hardcovers?

Does anyone know what the difference is between the Hellboy in Hell convention exclusive hardcovers (vol. 1 - The Descent and vol. 2 - The Death Card) and the Library Edition that's due out in October?

I chose to get the two SDCC volumes but I wonder if I will regret that because of the extras that the Library Editions have.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy7783 View Post
    Does anyone know what the difference is between the Hellboy in Hell convention exclusive hardcovers (vol. 1 - The Descent and vol. 2 - The Death Card) and the Library Edition that's due out in October?

I chose to get the two SDCC volumes but I wonder if I will regret that because of the extras that the Library Editions have.
    The SDCC hardcovers are basically the same as the trades. The library edition will have an expanded sketchbook section and post likely a foreword by Scott Allie and an afterword by Mike Mignola (although that's just a guess because all the other volumes did that).

Also, while they are the same height, the library editions are about 1 inch wider than the SDCC hardcovers. You might as well just get both!

The Hellboy SDCC hc's are convention exclusives which means they were only sold at SDCC 2014 & 2015 (are they offered again for 2017 albeit Mr Mignola isn't attending??), each with a unique Mignola / Stewart cover, for attendees to get signed if so lucky. Otherwise they equate to the regular TPB content albeit as coming in a swag oversized format.
    Designed similar to the 2014 Hellboy: The First 20 Years hardcover.

Whereas the Hellboy Library Editions are similar in design to the 2003 Art of Hellboy HC. Collecting two TPBs with offering an expanded sketchbook section as well as possibly alterior afterwords or comments.

The SDCC hardcovers became available shortly after or near to the TPB premieres, whereas the Library Editions become available more 'after the fact'.

Both really exquisite booklines at incredible pricepoints. Thanks to great people on this forum I was able to attain the signed con exclusive hc's, which they'll have had to be carrying across the convention center for at least a day I'm sure!
    Last edited by Kees_L; 07-03-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by topfueluhl View Post
    Also, while they are the same height, the library editions are about 1 inch wider than the SDCC hardcovers. You might as well just get both!
    Do you mean the page width or spine width? Each one is only half of the Hellboy in Hell story...but I assume you mean the page dimensions? That makes more sense but just wanted to confirm.

I will probably skip the library edition this time around but the siren's call is strong. I have all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    The Hellboy SDCC hc's are convention exclusives which means they were only sold at SDCC 2014 & 2015 (are they offered again for 2017 albeit Mr Mignola isn't attending??), each with a unique Mignola / Stewart cover, for attendees to get signed if so lucky. Otherwise they equate to the regular TPB content albeit as coming in a swag oversized format.
    Designed similar to the 2014 Hellboy: The First 20 Years hardcover.

Whereas the Hellboy Library Editions are similar in design to the 2003 Art of Hellboy HC. Collecting two TPBs with offering an expanded sketchbook section as well as possibly alterior afterwords or comments.

The SDCC hardcovers became available shortly after or near to the TPB premieres, whereas the Library Editions become available more 'after the fact'.

Both really exquisite booklines at incredible pricepoints. Thanks to great people on this forum I was able to attain the signed con exclusive hc's, which they'll have had to be carrying across the convention center for at least a day I'm sure!
    I did a google search on this yesterday and it does appear they are going to be at 2017 SDCC as well. I'm a bit surprised but maybe they had stock leftover from the previous two??

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy7783 View Post
    I did a google search on this yesterday and it does appear they are going to be at 2017 SDCC as well. I'm a bit surprised but maybe they had stock leftover from the previous two??
    Yes I do agree that leftover stock appears the most likely. Which seems nice really. That SDCC relists their leftovers at their own venue instead of "just eBaying them". I myself really like both editions so if I were you I'd trust on snagging the Lib Ed at a later and convenient date for seeing how you like the con HCs.
    As to a degree the Lib Eds mainly seem pretty widely available for quite some time?
    Last edited by Kees_L; 07-03-2017 at 11:39 AM.

Also, while they are the same height, the library editions are about 1 inch wider than the SDCC hardcovers.
    Won't that be due to the binding needing to prove slightly more spacious because of the Library Editions being as fat as they are from containing two TPB's worth more rather than one?

Although the two con exclusive HCs per book are basically about as fat and rich as the Library Editions, with extra cover but without expanded sketchbook or extra preface bits. I totally agree getting both would just be the swellest, but I'd also believe either format would prove a treat just by itself!

I mean the width of the books themselves. The library editions are wider than the SDCC hardcovers. The SDCC hardcovers have the same dimensions as the "Hellboy: The First 20 Years" hardcover art book.

20170703_130820.jpg
    Last edited by topfueluhl; 07-03-2017 at 01:15 PM.

I mean the width of the books themselves. The library editions are wider than the SDCC hardcovers. The SDCC hardcovers have the same dimensions as the "Hellboy: The First 20 Years" hardcover art book.

20170703_130820.jpg
    Understood. What I'm saying is that the added width to me seems mainly going into the binding. As to ensure the thicker book (containing double content) opens and closes or 'page-turns' as comfortably as the thinner one. Like as if the two most apart pages of the Library Editions would be divided by roughly double the space from the SDCC HC most apart pages, eventhough such doesn't actually show because of how the binding shifts according to what page a book would be opened at. Just like how a thickly bound tome may bulge more than a thinner one.

I haven't measured but I'm guessing this seems the main difference or aim to the added width of the Library Edition?
    Also seeing how the height of each book appears the same, since when you think about it it doesn't seem likely the actual printed page dimension could like proportionately be to differ?

Or in other words: the printed page isn't different, but more rather the white of the page will be spaced broader (at least at the spine), for the sake of binding I would think.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 07-03-2017 at 02:43 PM.

You might be right, the size of the printed page itself may be the same in both. I can't be entirely sure until I get the Hellboy in Hell library edition so I can compare apples to apples.

You might be right, the size of the printed page itself may be the same in both. I can't be entirely sure until I get the Hellboy in Hell library edition so I can compare apples to apples.
    Well, for the Hell of it I quickly measured the (printed) panel outer dimenions but not any of the *page white* of the SDCC HIH Vol. I (of a page containing distinct and fully white edges), next to the page panel outer dimensions of a Hellboy Lib. Ed. Vol. V page:

18 cm x 27 cm [= 7,087" x 10,63"] versus 17,6 cm x 27,6 cm [6.93" x 10.87"]. Which would make the Library Edition page maybe a hair more oversized, literally, if at all.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 07-03-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    Well, for the Hell of it I quickly measured the (printed) panel outer dimenions but not any of the *page white* of the SDCC HIH Vol. I (of a page containing distinct and fully white edges), next to the page panel outer dimensions of a Hellboy Lib. Ed. Vol. V page:

18 cm x 27 cm [= 7,087" x 10,63"] versus 17,6 cm x 27,6 cm [6.93" x 10.87"]. Which would make the Library Edition page maybe a hair more oversized, literally, if at all.

Very interesting. I didn't realize the SDCC books had a smaller width. Never compared them to the Library Edition before. But also interesting that there is little difference in the size of the comic itself.

Now that I have the Hellboy in Hell library edition I can confirm that the comic book art itself is only slightly larger than in the SDCC hardcovers:

Library edition - 7 1/4" x 10 3/4"
    SDCC HC - 7" x 10 1/2"