Thread: X-statix

Default X-statix

What did you think of X-statix?

Did you like it, or loathe it with a passion and have expunged it from your memory?

Do you consider it to be a 'proper' X-book?

I must admit that I wasn't at all keen when the characters first appeared in X-Force #116.

However, the passage of time has given me a different perspective and I'm quite enjoying the run now.

I think it's what comics should be about. Something really different.

BANNED

It was one of the best things ever done with the X-franchise.

I really loved it and for a while I thought it was the best X Book at the time. It's been a while since I have last read the series though and I might be forgetting some things

I liked how the team members were mostly being heroes for the fame, money and celebrity.

U-Go Girl, Anarchist, and Deadgirl are some of my favorite X characters ever. The series went down hill for me a little after U-Go Girl died as I thought she was the most interesting character, though you could kind of see her death coming. Still I wish they had killed Orphan instead.

My favorite stories were when U-Go Girl visited her daughter Katie. I thought it was sad that Katie thought U-Go Girl was her sister and not her mother, and that Katie was worried U-Go Girl would die like the other mutants she had seen die on television.

BANNED

Loved it. Mike and Laura Allred have a wonderful pop art style that's really unique. I haven't read it in years, but I remember it being a satire of the reality shows that were popular in the early 2000s, yeah? Probably just as relevant now as it was back then.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

I love it. It's without a doubt the only X-book I've truly enjoyed (together with X-Factor) during 2000's.

In large part, because I think Allred's pop art is fabulous --and Laura's colouring, too. You can savor it as a delicatessen.

Also, I think it's worthy of merit that Milligan wrote such a wild crazy stories, in which the characters died in bunches, yet he got to make you grow fond of them (despite many of them were quite undesirable). Another strong point for me is that each character was unique and had got his/her own voice, while problem with most of other X-characters since 90's is that they're interchangeable.

Summarizing, a funny, smart, kinda spiteful work. Is it a 'proper' X-book? I would honestly say 'no': it's more like a brilliant and necessary autoparody, and it's too far from the rest of the franchise (apart of the New Mutants brief cameo and the Wolvie's unavoidable interventions). Fortunately, because this 'exile' allowed a wide indepence.

I bought the omnibus and loved it immediately. Brilliant story-telling by the creative team for sure: I love the simultaneous critique of both real-life fame and X-Men comics. And I certainly agree that the characters were three-dimensional and easy to care about.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind this team/series being acknowledged a little more in the "mainstream" comics. I know if I was writing X-Men for Marvel, I'd definitely ask to use Lacuna! And Doop!

-Pav, who'd like to see Dead Girl in Dr. Strange's comic...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    -Pav, who'd like to see Dead Girl in Dr. Strange's comic...
    They made such a delightful couple, don't they?

BANNED

Now that I think about it, X-Statix made me want to read Doctor Strange. I remember getting all the Ditko Strange Tales issues after.

Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 07-03-2017 at 04:39 AM.

I bought X-force from the start and stuck with it all the way so was pretty pissed off when it changed.
    Looking back however, it's one of the best x-series ever and I even bought the omnibus.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Read the letter columns almost entirely negative hate

X-Statix was too wacky and its own thing to really be accepted as the XForce book by most fans

It was basically a meta-level satire and parody of the superhero genre. It is a shame they couldn't put Princess Diana in it.

At least Doop more or less survived the run although is that good or bad
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

I would love to see Dead Girl return at some point. Really loved X-Force/X-Statix back in the day.
    Currently Reading: Amazing Spider-Man, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Renew Your Vows, Mighty Thor, Silver Surfer, Infamous Iron Man, Spider-Man, Walking Dead, Saga, Renato Jones

Even though I completely HATED Counter X, the X-Force title was left on a cliffhanger with some of the members possibly being dead in an explosion. Then, next issue, was something totally unrelated. It seemed nice but I never cared enough to read it. I did see the issue where the X-Force team randomly show up to fight X-Statix, which made no sense.

I wish Marvel had done a better job of transitioning the two X-Force teams. The cliffhanger ending led people to believe a lot of their favorite X characters had been killed off and it really pissed a lot of readers off. It caused a lot of people to hate the book before it even got a chance.

And I remember a lot of people being angry with Allred's art, witch was a shame. I thought it was a nice change from the typical X book art we got at the time.

In fact, I wasn't an X-Force reader (I had zero interest in that title) --I got into X-Statix right through TPBs and I wasn't aware that it involved such a trauma to its fans. Now I can understand that many of them went angry about the change.

Astonishing Member

Not as an X-Force book. But on its own it was great! The title X-Force was misleading. But what the heck, its unimportant today. Just a great story, and damn great characters...