Default DC, IDW, and Pulp Heroes in the DCU....

So, I've been reading the Batman-Shadow miniseries and it's been a lot of fun.

And it got me to thinking, and I've got a couple silly questions for the community.

Note that none of these questions are meant to be taken seriously; this is mostly just for fun.

First, a really stupid, conspiracy-theory type question (not to be taken seriously): What do you think the odds are of DC renting some of their IP's out to other publishers? Not sole publishing rights of course.

Is it really that hard to imagine DC allowing IDW to publish a Superman miniseries, especially given how DC has been doing these crossovers so much lately? Is that the next logical step from these "Batman-Shadow" and "Green Lantern-Star Trek" mini's we've been seeing? There's no way DC would ever relinquish control or sell the IP's, but DC would still make some money for no effort on their part and the smaller publisher (IDW or BOOM or whoever) would see sales higher than anything they're used to, with (restricted, partial) access to the big names in comics. Seems like smart business to me, though I dont have access to the kind of accounting data I'd need to know for sure.

Next question, and really the heart of the threat: Who else do you want to see cross over between the DC heroes and the old school pulp guys? Do we need a Wonder Woman/The Phantom miniseries? Doc Savage/Superman? Flash/The Spirit? Blue Beetle/Green Hornet? Do we need a Justice League/Justice Inc/Justice Society mega-story?

And last ridiculous question: Would these pulp heroes like Zorro and Green Hornet and Shadow work with regular interactions and/or inclusion in the DCU? Would you like to see the Green Hornet as the League's undercover "crime boss" (a role we've seen others, including J'onn and Black Lightning, fill on occasion)? Would you want to see the Shadow and Batman trying to out-lurk each other during League meetings? I know that this won't happen, but its just a fun thought.

Again, none of these questions are meant to be taken seriously. We dont need to discuss how unlikely any of it is, because I think we all know these questions are highly unlikely to happen. This is just a thought exercise for those who, like myself, have a soft spot for the pulp heroes of the pre-Golden Age of comics.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

well, IDW was able to publish (co-publish?) Batman/TMNT Adventures. So I guess it's maybe not as far-fetched as you'd think.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Fox Mulder Meets Clark Kent

I'm so there.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Fox Mulder Meets Clark Kent

I'm so there.
    I'd read the hell out of that. Especially if we never really get to see Superman in action and he's treated like all the weird, creepy X-Files stuff used to be; just seen on the edge, out of the corner of your eye.

And I apologize for that opening post, that's the least articulate and eloquent thing I've written in ages (I think). Been a rough weekend, ya'll will have to understand.

So, I also need to show some love for Dynamite, who are publishing some of the best pulp stuff around (I neglected to mention them before).

I tell ya, what I really want to see is a team up story with Golden Age inspired versions of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Black Canary working with the Shadow, Green Hornet, Flash Gordon, and the Phantom. Something along the lines of New Frontier but with a smaller cast and tighter focus, so we can see these guys interacting with each other.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I tell ya, what I really want to see is a team up story with Golden Age inspired versions of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Black Canary working with the Shadow, Green Hornet, Flash Gordon, and the Phantom. Something along the lines of New Frontier but with a smaller cast and tighter focus, so we can see these guys interacting with each other.
    This would be awesome, and it would be awesomer if someone like Doc Shaner did the art, but sadly I don't see DC using the Golden Age versions of their characters.

Superman/Doc Savage is definitely something that they should do, written by Chris Roberson if possible. He did a Doc Savage series that was pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    This would be awesome, and it would be awesomer if someone like Doc Shaner did the art, but sadly I don't see DC using the Golden Age versions of their characters.

Superman/Doc Savage is definitely something that they should do, written by Chris Roberson if possible. He did a Doc Savage series that was pretty cool.
    Roberson was exactly who I was thinking of too. I liked what he was trying to do with Superman when he finished off Grounded and I regret that he never got a shot at the character on his own. And Shaner would be choice, though I'm not as big a fan as some of you are (not knocking the guy, he's still great).

As for DC using a Golden Age version, who knows? Batman 66, Wonder Woman 77, and Bombshells are all very retro, and Bombshells is very pulp-y in a bubblegum sort of way. New Frontier was huge. Morrison's t-shirt and jeans Superman was popular until Truth ruined it. There's a proven audience for this sort of thing, so I'd say its possible they'd go there. Maybe not, but I wouldnt rule it out completely.

~ Black Panther.

I'd be interested in a Batman/Shadow story not written by Snyder. I was never a fan of this guy's take on The Batman and I don't understand why he got that particular miniseries when Matt Wagner did iconic work on both characters. If future team-ups will simply be with DC's latest talent and not with people truly suited for the stories, I'll continue to pass.
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)