View Poll Results: Which X-Couple improved each other the most by being together?

Voters
199. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sean & Moira

19 9.55%
  • Nathan & Neena

1 0.50%
  • Scott & Jean

56 28.14%
  • Remy & Anna Marie

21 10.55%
  • Forge & Ororo

3 1.51%
  • Betsy & Warren

11 5.53%
  • Lorna & Alex

0 0%
  • Rictor & Shatterstar

18 9.05%
  • Emma & Scott

55 27.64%
  • Kitty & Peter

5 2.51%
  • Alison & Longshot

1 0.50%
  • Amanda & Kurt

0 0%
  • Meggan & Brian

4 2.01%
  • Layla & Jamie

5 2.51%
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

I think though for Scott he never told Jean what was wrong with him, she asked him and he kept pushing her away and being cold and distant to her but he'd talk to Emma about it, so Jean tried to help but Scott wouldn't let her...kind of always wished that Jean would have gotten angry at Scott after finding out that he abandoned Maddy and their kid to run off after her...

emma scott

Going to go for Sean and Moira here. Most of the other relationships on this list became a little toxic at one point or another under certain writers pens. Sean and Moira were always pretty happy and by far the most functional romance in the x-verse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    X-23 and Hellion

Emma made Scott the man he is today...dead, lol.
    that really made scott a better man.

I don't really think people make each othre better. I think scott and jean were a good stable couple, even if I don't like the couple

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Abandoning your wife and child is bringing out the worst in the character. It set Cyclops characterization back years, undid the maturity he had gained, and turned him into a despicable person. Had Jean either stayed dead or Cyclops decided that he was happy with Maddie and the baby and didn't need to go back to his teenage crush his character would have fared much better, and there would never have been a need for the 'Maddie was a clone all along' retcon. They were together, and then they weren't. There's nothing wrong with that. Spider-Man went through a similar plot the previous decade and his choosing current girl-friend MJ over supposedly resurrected ex-girlfriend Gwen was used to show how he had grown and matured since her death. They did exactly the opposite with Scott and Jean, and it ruined Scott for several years.
    funny enough cheat on your wife and then hooking up with the woman he did the acts should'v ruined the character but it didn't.
    just like scott abandoning his other wife and kids didn't ruined the character. The dude is straight and white, he can't do any wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Honestly, I really can't see how Scemma made each other better. Maybe better as in more insteresting to read to all the people here who love grim and edginess and hate the X-Men being more positive idealistic heroes, but surely not as people.

If we're talking about the story and the character's lifes though instead of whether you find them more interesting like this or like that, truth is that even with DPS, Madelyne, Wolverine and etc happening, Jott still managed to get through that together, have a lasting relationship, get married, raise a kid, and stay together with the X-Men as a family. While after Scemma, Scott's life only went downhill(Emma was already a mess anyway).
    True story. Cyclops became a magneto lie instead of a captain america (not the one spencer is writing ok?). Emma basically stole Jean place on x-men and became cyclops girlfriend and only that. No wonder they returned her as villain, since there was nowhere to her go after cyke was death.

I don't even think they became any interesting to read...just more edgy and dark.
    Last edited by spirit2011; 07-05-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
    I already explained that. Yes, part of it is that they made each other more interesting to read but they also helped change each other for the better. Emma found redemption & Scott was finally able to get over his constant brooding & insecurities & was able to open up more & be a more confident leader which X-Men (& mutants) needed at the time. It has nothing to do with edgyness (where did you even get that?) but with the fact that X-Men in their stories at the time had to deal with a lot of shit and I really don't see Scott being as succesful a leader as he was if he had Jesn by his side instead of Emma.

And as I also already explained Jesn & Scott is the absurd answer when talking about couples who made each other better. Those two only managed to cause each other harm. Having their relationship end in Jean's death TWICE and having them deal with infidelity TWICE is not a sign of them making each other better. At least the relationship between Emma & Scott only got fucked up because of the Phoenix Force. Scott & Jean on the other hand managed to fuck up their relationship twice & only once Phoenix was directly involved. And again, Jean led to Cyke abandoning his wife & new born child! Not a sign of a healthy & good relationship. And yes, Emma did lead Cyke to sort of infidelity (maybe?) but she also helped him deal with his various mental issues which his wife (who should have helped him) ignored completely. And Jean's character has become nearly irreparably damaged due to tanglements with Cyke & Phoenix. I doubt she will ever again be allowed to return in the main universe. At least not in the foreseeable future. And if she ever does I bet she'll be once again put together with Scott (the guy who is now a serial cheater) & forced to deal with the Phoenix

If we look at the story & the characters' lives then Emma/Scott was more rewarding for both characters (in & out of universe) than Jean/Scott ever was.

Oh, and other characters who IMHO made each other better through relationships are X-23/Hellion & Betsy/Warren I guess.
    What exactly did either of Jean's death's have to do with Scott? X-men drop like flies all the time. I don't see any blaming of other characters significant others for it. Turns out its a dangerous occupation. And there's no way to know if Jott would have survived Morrison's run if Jean would have lived. Jean and Scott's marriage was getting too stale for the writers, so they threw a stone at it. There's no deeper explanation required.

As for Emma, she was well on her way to redemption long before she ever hooked up with Scott. Frankly there relationship made life more difficult for Scott if anything. I do think there were some positives to the pairing for both of them but I can't imagine Scemma would have survived as long as Jott did or under the same circumstances... wait a second... it didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I think though for Scott he never told Jean what was wrong with him, she asked him and he kept pushing her away and being cold and distant to her but he'd talk to Emma about it, so Jean tried to help but Scott wouldn't let her...kind of always wished that Jean would have gotten angry at Scott after finding out that he abandoned Maddy and their kid to run off after her...
    Didn't they still have a psychic link at this point. Scott's emotions should have been screaming in her ears through the whole run even without it.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post

I don't really think people make each othre better. I think scott and jean were a good stable couple, even if I don't like the couple
    I think positive influences in a persons life can help them to stay on the straight and narrow, to persevere in tough times. Isn't that what the x-family is supposed to be about.

funny enough cheat on your wife and then hooking up with the woman he did the acts should'v ruined the character but it didn't.
    just like scott abandoning his other wife and kids didn't ruined the character. The dude is straight and white, he can't do any wrong.
    Try X-factor #1 all the way to Inferno for the fallout from that action. Yes it could have had much more damaging effects for Scott. Maddie had to be sacrificed to keep him somewhat heroic but that's the nature of comic storytelling and he still didn't come out smelling like roses, as you're well aware.

Also let's not forget who is responsible for Scemma. It's Jean in case you've forgotten.

True story. Cyclops became a magneto lie instead of a captain america (not the one spencer is writing ok?). Emma basically stole Jean place on x-men and became cyclops girlfriend and only that. No wonder they returned her as villain, since there was nowhere to her go after cyke was death.

I don't even think they became any interesting to read...just more edgy and dark.
    In a universe where x-men regularly form kill squads (X-force), Emma certainly could have found a place post-Scott. Actually I think she was uniquely positioned to continue Scott's campaign for mutant rights as she was at the forefront of that war with him for so long. Marvel had other plans.

Hank Pym is straight and white too, and no one forget about that one painel that he hit Janet. So yes, the abandoning wife and child could have ruined the character. He survived the Maddy thing because editorial was quick enought with the Goblin Quenn thing, and the affair with Emma because Morrison did a Jean Grey make out with Wolverine session a few issues before.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinman View Post
    Going to go for Sean and Moira here. Most of the other relationships on this list became a little toxic at one point or another under certain writers pens. Sean and Moira were always pretty happy and by far the most functional romance in the x-verse.
    Probably right. I think that had a lot to do with how little panel time their relationship had to ever really hit the rocks. They also weren't central to a lot of arcs... more just hovering around the edges.

Surprised that Wolverine/Storm isn't on this list. I think those two deserve to be on any list of major X-couples. I think, more than any other relationship Wolverine has ever had, Storm really made him better and he knew how to complement her many strengths.

That said, if I had to choose between them and Cyclops/Jean Grey, I'd choose Cyclops/Jean Grey. Those two complement each other better than any other couple in X-men, if not all of Marvel. I know that's not a popular opinion these days, but I would refer anyone to X-men 92 #5 for a case study in how a solid, balanced romance can be constructed. These two made each other better, stronger, and more balanced as characters. They're both stronger when they're together, more so than almost any other romance in comics.

I get why some Cyclops/Emma fans say that. I would only half-agree because I think while Cyclops made Emma Frost better, she did NOT make him better. If anything, she was a negative influence on him. When I look back on that relationship, it comes off as so shallow and crass. Namor even pointed it out during Fear Itself. Cyclops actually married Jean Grey. He never went that far with Emma. And I think that was a telling sign that, despite their chemistry, they really couldn't make it last. It was a good relationship for Emma Frost, but not for Cyclops. Recent events show just how unbalanced it was. Look at what happened to Emma after Cyclops died. Look at the lines she crossed. Then, look at how Jean reacted when Cyclops "died" after he merged with Apocalypse. I think that, more than anything, reveals why Cyclops/Jean is a more balanced relationship than Cyclops/Emma.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Hank Pym is straight and white too, and no one forget about that one painel that he hit Janet. So yes, the abandoning wife and child could have ruined the character. He survived the Maddy thing because editorial was quick enought with the Goblin Quenn thing, and the affair with Emma because Morrison did a Jean Grey make out with Wolverine session a few issues before.
    He was just too unlucky, a slap on a wife is just a big no. It was really extreme and he never got away from that.
    Scott screwed up a lot with women and just got away easily, he was the protagonist of x-men stories for some good time.

also god forbid a woman have a kiss, that should never nullify all the adultery. but you know men, anything justify adultery even a simply kiss

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    Didn't they still have a psychic link at this point. Scott's emotions should have been screaming in her ears through the whole run even without it.
    No, the psychic bond was broken.
    Last edited by spirit2011; 07-05-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I still think that X-23 and Hellion were good for each other. Laura helped bring out a lot of Julian's nobler qualities, and he was one of the first people to ACTIVELY try to show her a different way than what she was bred for (Logan talked game, but ultimately just dumped her at the school and left her to fend for herself).

Even now I think they could benefit from one another, especially Julian. Bonus points for their powers complementing one another.
    My god yes. I really hate the way it just ended. Didn't seem like Laura to me, especially with him being there for her (as she for him) and them pushing both of themselves. I'd like to think the Laura we have today wouldn't be the one we have if not for this relationship.

Incredible Member

I love the glossing over the fact that Jean thought she was gonna die with that kiss with Wolverine. People make it seem that she was banging Wolverine the whole time or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacaoni View Post
    I love the glossing over the fact that Jean thought she was gonna die with that kiss with Wolverine. People make it seem that she was banging Wolverine the whole time or something.
    I'm talking about that time she tried to bang Wolverine on the forest and he said no. But I guess all depend on what you consider cheating, personally, if I take my girlfriend making out with another guy I would consider myself cheated on, if I make out with another woman, I would be cheating on her. Pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacaoni View Post
    They are refering to another one, the one that she was desperate because cyclops wasn't fullfilling his duties as husband. She was asking Wolv to help her with scott problem, the kiss was a acident and a mistake. she had no intention on cheating on cyclops. now cyclops on the other side...

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    I think positive influences in a persons life can help them to stay on the straight and narrow, to persevere in tough times. Isn't that what the x-family is supposed to be about.
    maybe, but it is a trap think that people can make another people better. Each person has to seek their own fullfillment
    Try X-factor #1 all the way to Inferno for the fallout from that action. Yes it could have had much more damaging effects for Scott. Maddie had to be sacrificed to keep him somewhat heroic but that's the nature of comic storytelling and he still didn't come out smelling like roses, as you're well aware.

Also let's not forget who is responsible for Scemma. It's Jean in case you've forgotten.
    Well Jean was also threw under the bus to make Scott look better, right? that is how women are treated in favor to scott *can't do nothing wrong* summers.
    I don't think he was under scrutiny enough for what he did with Maddie and his own son.

of course jean is the one to blame for. scott can't do no wrong

In a universe where x-men regularly form kill squads (X-force), Emma certainly could have found a place post-Scott. Actually I think she was uniquely positioned to continue Scott's campaign for mutant rights as she was at the forefront of that war with him for so long. Marvel had other plans.
    Emma is not one for kill squad, she is more on the scheming things and mass murdering inhumans...