Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    he suffers from G.I.Joe syndrome. is there really any reason for Stingray to appear; if the action doesn't take place underwater? GI Joe because their characters tended to be mission-specific. you knew that the only time you were going to see Avalanche was when there was snow on the ground.
    Not to abduct a Tigra thread and make it about Stingray (sorry, OP), but it wasn't that long ago the same was often said about Aquaman (Namor got a pass because he's an anti-hero/potential conqueror type). Looking past the fact he can fly and fire laser blasts, I think the thing to do would be to build up his (admittedly fairly undeveloped) personality, to make him unique in that regard. He was a scientist first, then willingly built himself into a superhero for purposes that are long in his rear-view mirror. Maybe he becomes a guy who thinks he's always in over his head but can't bring himself to quit for some reason. That's a dynamic I'd find interesting to read in a character.

Invincible Member

I think a Tigra series could work. In my mind I think it should slant in a kind of semi-supernatural mystery feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Not to abduct a Tigra thread and make it about Stingray (sorry, OP), but it wasn't that long ago the same was often said about Aquaman (Namor got a pass because he's an anti-hero/potential conqueror type). Looking past the fact he can fly and fire laser blasts, I think the thing to do would be to build up his (admittedly fairly undeveloped) personality, to make him unique in that regard. He was a scientist first, then willingly built himself into a superhero for purposes that are long in his rear-view mirror. Maybe he becomes a guy who thinks he's always in over his head but can't bring himself to quit for some reason. That's a dynamic I'd find interesting to read in a character.
    Aquaman was a broken character who was changed dramatically in an effort to make him work. now he's sea-Thor; a demi-god w/ an unbreakable element controlling trident who lives in an underwater kingdom but adventures on the surface world. Stingray's the exact opposite of that. he's an unimpressive human who built a much cooler armor to adventure underwater; where nothing relevant happens (imo). if he were from the sea and built an armor to operate on land, he'd be about 5 x more interesting. so the problem is two-fold. Newell doesn't have a tangible personality, yet. and the ocean has even less of a personality. this is all just my personal preference though. I like plenty of characters that other people find uninteresting. I just don't see the potential in an armor wearing cypher who likes to be underwater.

I'd like to see Tigra show up as a potential partner / love interest for Danny Rand.

-Pav, who doesn't usually ship...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

I didn't see anyone mention it so I'll go ahead and address the gorilla (cat?) in the room: Tigra is a twitter-fueled SJW uproar waiting to happen. Background noise is fine ... main character I can already hear the "fury in a bikini" uproar akin to the spider woman cover from just one bad panel.

So until they can figure out how to re-invent her appearance I don't see her mainlining anything soon. Not trying to be a hater, but I imagine that's a big factor.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Maybe he becomes a guy who thinks he's always in over his head but can't bring himself to quit for some reason. That's a dynamic I'd find interesting to read in a character.
    That's kind of what we already have with Hank Pym, provided the writer is actually competent of course. However since all of Marvel's Super Genieses are dead, in alt universes, with other teams or merged with Ultron he could still fill in that role pretty well.

If Tigra was brought onto an Avengers team it is kind of concerning what she could actually add as a team member because let's face it the idea of cat people is kind of silly.

Spectacular Member

She's got a cool design I'd like to see more of her. Put her back on the Avengers, or on a West Coast team.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Aquaman was a broken character who was changed dramatically in an effort to make him work. now he's sea-Thor; a demi-god w/ an unbreakable element controlling trident who lives in an underwater kingdom but adventures on the surface world. Stingray's the exact opposite of that. he's an unimpressive human who built a much cooler armor to adventure underwater; where nothing relevant happens (imo). if he were from the sea and built an armor to operate on land, he'd be about 5 x more interesting. so the problem is two-fold. Newell doesn't have a tangible personality, yet. and the ocean has even less of a personality. this is all just my personal preference though. I like plenty of characters that other people find uninteresting. I just don't see the potential in an armor wearing cypher who likes to be underwater.
    Aquaman's always been like that though (although he's more of a half-breed then a Demi-God and the trident's elemental powers are inconsistent at best).

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    I didn't see anyone mention it so I'll go ahead and address the gorilla (cat?) in the room: Tigra is a twitter-fueled SJW uproar waiting to happen. Background noise is fine ... main character I can already hear the "fury in a bikini" uproar akin to the spider woman cover from just one bad panel.

So until they can figure out how to re-invent her appearance I don't see her mainlining anything soon. Not trying to be a hater, but I imagine that's a big factor.
    I feel like that's a silly excuse not to use Tigra but I can't help feeling that you're probably right...

Incredible Member

I'd love to see more of both Tigra and especially Stingray. I've really liked him since he first appeared way back in Sub-Mariner #19, of which I still own a beat up copy. Lots of potential. I liked his everyman attitude, and I think the Bob Harras scripted "The Crossing Line" in issues #319-324 showed how he could make an interesting addition to the current team. He felt out of his depth and in awe of his team mates, but managed to acquit himself well in spite of it. I was thrilled to see him cameo in Secret Empire.

It's not that hard to just give her clothes lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    It's not that hard to just give her clothes lol.
    Well, Marvel Adventures turned her bikini into a one-piece. Maybe that could work ?

Where is Tigra's furry son? Has he been seen lately?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Where is Tigra's furry son? Has he been seen lately?
    Good question.....in fact, it would be interesting to see William (Tigra's son's name) back into the (616) MU-Prime and being almost a teenager {since it was once mentioned that the Cat People do grow older at a different rate than humans} should a proposal for A TIGRA Mini/Ongoing come about.

if the bikini's an issue, give her a shorts and crop top combo similar to what they did to She-Hulk
    I surrender to the Contest

Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    Good question.....in fact, it would be interesting to see William (Tigra's son's name) back into the (616) MU-Prime and being almost a teenager {since it was once mentioned that the Cat People do grow older at a different rate than humans} should a proposal for A TIGRA Mini/Ongoing come about.
    Thanks.

I do want to see how William looks, how he has aged, powers, etc.

As you state, this could be incorporated into a good Tigra series. Of course, have William as a part, but show us more on Tigra too. This could be a very interesting series!