Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Batman didn't even kiss her and she dumped him when she found out his secret.
    Laughed about it? for someone who watched it last year you seem to have a terrible memory.
    Didn't put Superman in his place by using K-nite, wtf were you even watching?
    Wasn't Batman getting wrecked by a spider drone, a drone that Superman literally stomped in a second?
    Batman only beat Joker, Superman saved Metropolis from the giant flying war ship and a drone army.

Get your facts straight.
    So Lois, a very independent woman was read to move to Gotham because of what? A crush on Bruce Wayne? When I was a kid I didn't even think about the romantic aspects of the show, only on the heroics, but when I rewatched it with 22 years it was hard not to pay atention to it. Is even more hard to think that in the course of 3 episodes Batman went far with Lois than Clark in 3 seasons. Now if you consider the episode when Superman is barely able to deafeat Bane, you will see how weak he was on the DCAU.

BANNED

superduperman, I'm sorry for kind of derailing your thread. I do think if we are talking about all media formats we can give the DCAU as an example.

I meant no offense to the creative crews of those cartoons, as I'm sure other people meant no offense to the creative crews of the comics they don't like.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    No, it shouldn't. And thankfully and I'll admit a little surprisingly, DC has chosen not to do that. For the most part, at least. I didn't give them enough credit there. I'd prefer the New 52 stuff had stayed his early year adventures instead of being moved up in the timeline, but, you win some and you lose some. There was only so little a chance that Johns, being CCO, wouldn't force his lame origin in there. I suppose its enough that only so much was referenced and shown directly that hopefully in time, others can just use the basic template of it and make better the rest of the crap story. I'm just glad they didn't act like reactionary fanboys and toss five years worth of material wholesale.
    Reading Superman comics, it sure seems like the New 52 has been forgotten. They forgot pretty much all of the revamped origins of Superman's villains and reinstated the relationships he'd had before Flashpoint. And again, the use of the term "New 52" here refers to the idea of a continuity removed from the events that took place before 2011. I mean, you talk about how people who don't want to see New 52 stuff referenced (though, in truth there really isn't much from the New 52 Superman that should be referenced) because of how it is five years worth of material. However, what does it say about people who were pushing for the reboot (including Didio) that they wanted to remove almost thirty years worth of material?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

All of the Timmverse outside of Batman: TAS is pretty overrated. STAS did wonders for the villains but not much for Superman. Justice League...outside of Batman everyone was mediocre to terribly portrayed (Superman and Wonder Woman unfortunately holding said terrible honors). JLU, that mediocre-to-terrible status (Superman gets a slight bump up from terrible to mediocre here, but sadly if anything Wonder Woman gets even worse) continued, except this time it featured secondary heroes of which a better job was done. But definitive DCU stuff it wasn't, ain't, and never will be. Only Batman The Animated Series was a complete homerun in absolutely every arena and is definitive of that particular mythos, and I feel ages well even today.

All that said though that verse at least had a cohesion to it, something the Superman line in comics didn't have for nearly a decade.
    Which I think is the saddest part. It's the most stable universe DC has and it's essentially just Batman and his guest stars. Batman TAS is the best version of Batman ever made but it's clearly a Batman universe, not a DCU. Everyone else is just filler material for him to make them look stupid. Especially Superman. Superman TAS had some great stories but as a version of the character, he really is lacking. Ironically, my favorite episode is the one where he gets a guy off death row. Which was mostly a Clark Kent episode.
    Assassinate Putin!

2002-2011 might not be the absolute longest running, lowest point ever in the character's entire history.....but it's probably on the list.

The last year of the New52 was utter drivel. Well, the last 9-ish months anyway. Those first few issues of Truth Action really had me excited.

As for older eras I didnt live through....Im too tired to recall properly.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    It's not an era but Chuck Austen's run is the worst thing to ever happen to the Superman comics.
    I can't think of a worse run.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's funny that I thought the art was as bad as the writing, but then one day Ivan Reis somehow became an amazing artist with a serious following. Maybe eh... JD Finn can come back and impress us someday.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Maybe eh... JD Finn can come back and impress us someday.
    That last issue was pretty good.

Ah, JD Finn, who were you really? My guess is Joe Kelly, since he's listed as the writer on DC's own website.

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/actio...ion-comics-825

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Reading Superman comics, it sure seems like the New 52 has been forgotten.
    Not really. You're acting as if not a single New 52 Superman idea has been referenced in three years, as opposed to the mere three months its actually been (and that's just counting what's going on in the main two books; New 52 Superman ideas have indeed been referenced in other books very recently). The New 52 hasn't been forgotten any more than the aughts have been forgotten for all its lack of references the past three months since Reborn as well, outside of Manchester Black over in Superman. Currently though Action and Superman are living off the nineties and an over-exposure of Jon, respectively. Does that mean circa 2000-2011 has been forgotten too? The late 80s haven't been referenced since Reborn re-established stuff like Exile back into continuity either; does that mean that's been forgotten? I'm imagining you'd say no on both counts, and you'd be right. Stuff from then will be referenced when applicable just like anything else. Likewise the New 52 hasn't been forgotten. It too will be referenced when applicable as well.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-06-2017 at 07:55 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

While the New 52 elements have been lacking in the Superman and Action, it have made appearances in other titles, Dr. Shay Veritas was in Supergirl for example. New 52 Superman have some pretty interesting ideas, that I believe should be explored.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    So Lois, a very independent woman was read to move to Gotham because of what? A crush on Bruce Wayne? When I was a kid I didn't even think about the romantic aspects of the show, only on the heroics, but when I rewatched it with 22 years it was hard not to pay atention to it. Is even more hard to think that in the course of 3 episodes Batman went far with Lois than Clark in 3 seasons. Now if you consider the episode when Superman is barely able to deafeat Bane, you will see how weak he was on the DCAU.
    He wasn't 'barely' able to beat Bane. He was trying not to do anything that would tip off that he wasn't really Batman until he just said 'screw it' and beat him like he was nothing.

Extraordinary Member

Not really. You're acting as if not a single New 52 Superman idea has been referenced in three years, as opposed to the mere three months its actually been (and that's just counting what's going on in the main two books; New 52 Superman ideas have indeed been referenced in other books very recently). The New 52 hasn't been forgotten any more than the aughts have been forgotten for all its lack of references the past three months since Reborn as well, outside of Manchester Black over in Superman. Currently though Action and Superman are living off the nineties and an over-exposure of Jon, respectively. Does that mean circa 2000-2011 has been forgotten too? The late 80s haven't been referenced since Reborn re-established stuff like Exile back into continuity either; does that mean that's been forgotten? I'm imagining you'd say no on both counts, and you'd be right. Stuff from then will be referenced when applicable just like anything else. Likewise the New 52 hasn't been forgotten. It too will be referenced when applicable as well.
    Well, I can't see things like Superman dating Wonder Woman or that time Lois outed Clark as Superman to the world or Luthor taking on the mantle to honor the dead Superman being referenced any time soon. But, again, the New 52 as a concept was "let's completely erase everything from Superman's history ever told over the last several decades." Or "let's forget he ever wore the trunks or that he was ever married to Lois Lane, etc." THAT has been forgotten.

I really enjoyed the post-2000 Superman stories. It was just a quiet era for Superman, because if you didn't read comics you would have no idea what even transpired during that time. In the 90s everyone knew there was Doomsday and Reign of the Superman. And then it was plagued by the absurd Superman Red/Blue nonsense.

But 2000 onward just felt a lot more quiet and simpler. And it easily had many of my favorite Superman stories (This Is My Life by Joe Kelly). Very underrated in my opinion.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    superduperman, I'm sorry for kind of derailing your thread. I do think if we are talking about all media formats we can give the DCAU as an example.

I meant no offense to the creative crews of those cartoons, as I'm sure other people meant no offense to the creative crews of the comics they don't like.
    Hey, I understand. I agree. To give you an idea about how much the people in charge of the DCAU thought of Superman, they had a Starro controlling him for YEARS! If that isn't disrespect, I don't know what is. Can you imagine the outcry if they did that to Batman?
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Hey, I understand. I agree. To give you an idea about how much the people in charge of the DCAU thought of Superman, they had a Starro controlling him for YEARS! If that isn't disrespect, I don't know what is. Can you imagine the outcry if they did that to Batman?
    In the far flung future of the Batman Beyond series, not in the present day of the DCAU as part of a story arc or anything. It wasn't revealed halfway through Justice League that Superman had secretly been controlled by Starro for his entire heroic career. Plus, even in the episode you're talking about, Terry remarks how he's going to have to go up against "the greatest superhero that ever lived," much to Bruce's chagrin.

I just don't even see how that's a sign of disrespect to Superman. Almost every hero has been controlled, influenced, or possessed in comics and cartoons. In Justice League Action, wasn't Batman just possessed by a demon? And in the DCAU specifically, there are also several instances, like that time that the entire League except Wally were possessed by the Heart of Darkness.