Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Default The Red Skull, the Masters of Evil, and the buildup to Secret Empire

I've finally finished reading up through Civil War II on Marvel Unlimited (I'm not entirely done with All-New, All-Different Marvel, but I read the bulk of the major books). I'm not slowly reading Marvel NOW 2.0 as it comes out on Marvel Unlimited. One of the main things I'm going to be reading for is the build up to Secret Empire. Best I can tell, there are four books that somewhat interconnect: Captain America: Steve Rogers, Thunderbolts, Uncanny Avengers, and maybe U.S.Avengers. With the last one, I think it's just the "opening salvo" to Secret Empire, but I haven't been reading the book, so it's hard to say for sure.

I know Thunderbolts deals with the Masters of Evil in some form and deals with Bucky (and the events of a couple Thunderbolt stories are referenced in Captain America: Steve Rogers). I also know that Steve Rogers deals with Baron Zemo. Steve Rogers also deals with taking down the Red Skull and so does the Uncanny Avengers. But what I don't have is any sense in what order these stories should be read.

Any idea of either a loose or strict reading order for these books? Are there any other books that sort of fit in as well? How connected is Spencer's Sam Wilson book? Are there any other books dealing with Hydra infiltration? I know spoilers:
    Ms. Marvel 13
    end of spoilers arguably fits as well in a Secret Empire read order. I'd also argue a couple book series right now are connected:
    spoilers:
    Jessica Jones takes place after Steve Rogers 10, but around that time, and Black Panther and the Crew seems to take place sort of parallel to Ms. Marvel 13
    end of spoilers. Finally, any idea if W.M.D. has any connections to Secret Empire or whether it takes place before or after the story?

I appreciate any thoughts anyone wants to give.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I've finally finished reading up through Civil War II on Marvel Unlimited (I'm not entirely done with All-New, All-Different Marvel, but I read the bulk of the major books). I'm not slowly reading Marvel NOW 2.0 as it comes out on Marvel Unlimited. One of the main things I'm going to be reading for is the build up to Secret Empire. Best I can tell, there are four books that somewhat interconnect: Captain America: Steve Rogers, Thunderbolts, Uncanny Avengers, and maybe U.S.Avengers. With the last one, I think it's just the "opening salvo" to Secret Empire, but I haven't been reading the book, so it's hard to say for sure.

I know Thunderbolts deals with the Masters of Evil in some form and deals with Bucky (and the events of a couple Thunderbolt stories are referenced in Captain America: Steve Rogers). I also know that Steve Rogers deals with Baron Zemo. Steve Rogers also deals with taking down the Red Skull and so does the Uncanny Avengers. But what I don't have is any sense in what order these stories should be read.

Any idea of either a loose or strict reading order for these books? Are there any other books that sort of fit in as well? How connected is Spencer's Sam Wilson book? Are there any other books dealing with Hydra infiltration? I know spoilers:
    Ms. Marvel 13
    end of spoilers arguably fits as well in a Secret Empire read order. I'd also argue a couple book series right now are connected:
    spoilers:
    Jessica Jones takes place after Steve Rogers 10, but around that time, and Black Panther and the Crew seems to take place sort of parallel to Ms. Marvel 13
    end of spoilers. Finally, any idea if W.M.D. has any connections to Secret Empire or whether it takes place before or after the story?

I appreciate any thoughts anyone wants to give.
    Yes Sam Wilson does tie in to the lead up of Secret Empire. It reveals how Steve manipulates things behind the scenes and what Sam goes through to give up the mantle. If you care about Sam, it is essential for his character development and why he's acting the way he is right now in SE.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

OK, I'll make sure to add that to my list. Would you say it intersects with any of the other books or just that it's important to read before Secret Empire?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    OK, I'll make sure to add that to my list. Would you say it intersects with any of the other books or just that it's important to read before Secret Empire?
    No it does not intersect with other books at all. It isn't important for the event itself other than Steve showing up a few times manipulating things in the background to get Sam to drop the mantle. It's more important for Sam's character and it dwelves into what the mantle of Captain america should stand for.

The order I would read is Sam wilson, then UA, then Thunderbolts, then Steve. If reading after Civil War Ii.

Or read SW and UA upto standoff. Then read them arc by arc in above order.
    Last edited by Punjabi_Hitman; 07-06-2017 at 09:52 PM.

This is my chronological list focusing on the most important books in the lead up to Secret Empire, and when they relatively take place between each other.

Uncanny Avengers #1-6
    Captain America: Sam Wilson #1-6

Avengers Standoff (Prelude, Alpha, Sam Wilson #7-8, Omega, Uncanny Avengers #7-8)

Captain America: Sam Wilson #9
    Captain America: Steve Rogers FCBD, #1-3
    Uncanny Avengers #9-12
    Thunderbolts #1-4

Civil War II (Steve Rogers, #4-6, Sam Wilson #10-13, Uncanny Avengers #13-14, Thunderbolts #5)
    Uncanny Avengers #15-17
    Thunderbolts #6
    Civil War II: The Oath

Captain America: Sam Wilson #14-17
    Captain America: Steve Rogers #7-11
    Thunderbolts #7-9

Captain America: Sam Wilson #18-21
    Captain America: Steve Rogers #12-14
    U.S.Avengers #1-4

Uncanny Avengers #18-22
    Captain America: Steve Rogers #15
    Uncanny Avengers #23