Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I really wanted to love this film, but it left me cold.

They stripped away everything that makes Peter interesting to me personally. Is it unusual for a fifteen year old kid to be raised by an elderly aunt? Sure--and it's part of his charm. Not to mention it adds to the weight of his obligation. He's not simply worried that Aunt May will forbid his superheroics--he's literally terrified that finding out would kill her.

I didn't feel personally invested in Peter's story, which went from being that of a working class kid with the weight of the world on his shoulders to a Harry Potter clone given a magic suit by a rich mentor and promised a great destiny.

The cast was very talented, but they didn't have much to work with. None of the characters felt authentic to me, as they all let Peter screw them over without any consequences. I mean, Liz couldn't even bring herself to yell at Peter after he'd abandoned her on what turned out to be the worst night of her life. And all the kids seemed really cool with Peter ditching them at the academic competition, and even though they nearly died in an elevator accident.

Flash Thompson didn't feel like a true threat to Peter, as he never really got under his skin. If they wanted to make him the rich smart kid, then he at least should have taken Peter's place on the academic team permanently. As it is, Flash comes across as a second-rate Peter Parker, and a bit of a victim at that. You can sympathize with Flash when he gets kicked back down to alternate even after Peter ditched the team (twice, by the film's end).

And I never got the sense that Holland's Peter Parker carried any kind of guilt over the choice that led to Uncle Ben's death. Honestly, I can see why they didn't show the origin, because I can't even believe that Holland's Peter would ever be selfish enough to let the burglar go. This is a kid who's wanted nothing more his entire life than to be a hero. There's a story there somewhere, but quite frankly, it isn't Peter Parker's.

As for the humor? I still think Raimi's Spidey had the best quips. Holland fired off a few lines with the bank robbers, but never really said anything when fighting bigger threats like the Shocker and the Vulture. People seem to underestimate how quipply Tobey Maguire was as Spidey--I honestly think he got in more good one-liners than Garfield or Holland.

Quote Originally Posted by klefmung View Post
    You mean, driving anything but the spider-mobile, right? =D
    what i would give to see a MCU spider-mobile! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    He's been Spider-Man for less than a year. Peter Parker started as Spider-Man in the comics when he was an actual teenager still in high school. So this portrayal is actually accurate with that.
    yes i know but hes been a adult in the comics longer i love ultimate spider man but what works in the comics somtimes does not work in movies i like tom holland but a little of him goes a long way he works in small doses like in CW but in a spiderman movie i just prefer a 20-30 spiderman.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    I also disagree about Vulture's reasons for being a criminal. I found it more realistic in today's world rather than Doc Ock and Green Goblin's reasons in the Rami movies for example. I do wish he was more fleshed out but it works for this movie.
    Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus reasons work out for me cuz they are bats@it crazy however a construction contractor who lost lost his business turns into a alien tec gun runer and can weaponiz alien/asgardian/stark technology is not good motivation or realistic to me.
    Last edited by choptop; 07-12-2017 at 09:49 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yah, ok, Bill Clinton.
    That's because the never said Fuck. They said "F"
    I used to have a teenage daughte, and I overheard conservations between her and friends abotu who they'd "F". Teens speak like this since 11ty billion years ago.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Yea, real time is being thrown out the window. It's been said that the sequel to this movie will pick up immediately after Infinity War. That and the fact that they're going to keep Parker in high school for at least the next two movies (4-5 years) tells me real time really isn't a thing if it ever truly was.
    If i am not mistaken, the time line realigns itself with real years some time around Winter Soldier, even though Avengers came out in 2012, i think the movie takes place around 2009 as Iron Man 2/ Incredible Hulk and Thor take place in the same week despite the films being released over a couple of years. there was a tie in comic call something like "FURY'S BUSY WEEK".

Also i remember reading that Civil War and Ragnarok take place at the same time as well.

Marvel should release a proper time line it could help out.

Amazing Member

Just saw the movie as it came out a bit later here in France, I really liked it, but it was missing something to make it REALLY GOOD.

Best Peter/Spiderman, and loved that all the caracters (even if not exactly the same) all came from the comics.

Can't wait to see where spiderman will go to in avengers 3/4 and homecoming 2

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yah, ok, Bill Clinton.
    So, you believe that saying "Eff" or saying "F..." is the same thing as saying the F word? That's your position? I suppose that saying "heck" is the same thing as saying "hell" in your opinion then?

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post

yes i know but hes been a adult in the comics longer i love ultimate spider man but what works in the comics somtimes does not work in movies

These two statements, connected without even the benefit of punctuation, seem mutually contradictory.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    One peter went to a special school. Almost certain there was no football team. In regualr schools your have homecoming dance after the homecoming game. Its just a way to kick off the year and welcome everyone back to school. Usally happens 3-5 weeks into the school year. Its differenr at each school. You can have a homecoming dance without a football team. Jist depends on the school. We had a game, a banquet alumni, and then a dance. But really it's mostly just to get the year started. No one cares about alumni lol
    Okay, I got the away game wrong, there. So homecoming game 3 - 5 weeks into school year. Peter is there to pickup Liz Toomes. I can see here, at this point when Adrian Toomes opens the door, at Homecoming dance day, that it is here the movie turns on its head. Up till then, happy-go-lucky Peter is having fun. Suddenly, not so funny anymore at the homecoming dance because now he has the villain finding out he's Spider-Man, and his love, is the daughter of a super villain. Are most homecoming dancers like this? Full of angst?
    Last edited by jackolover; 07-13-2017 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I really wanted to love this film, but it left me cold.

They stripped away everything that makes Peter interesting to me personally. Is it unusual for a fifteen year old kid to be raised by an elderly aunt? Sure--and it's part of his charm. Not to mention it adds to the weight of his obligation. He's not simply worried that Aunt May will forbid his superheroics--he's literally terrified that finding out would kill her.

I didn't feel personally invested in Peter's story, which went from being that of a working class kid with the weight of the world on his shoulders to a Harry Potter clone given a magic suit by a rich mentor and promised a great destiny.

The cast was very talented, but they didn't have much to work with. None of the characters felt authentic to me, as they all let Peter screw them over without any consequences. I mean, Liz couldn't even bring herself to yell at Peter after he'd abandoned her on what turned out to be the worst night of her life. And all the kids seemed really cool with Peter ditching them at the academic competition, and even though they nearly died in an elevator accident.

Flash Thompson didn't feel like a true threat to Peter, as he never really got under his skin. If they wanted to make him the rich smart kid, then he at least should have taken Peter's place on the academic team permanently. As it is, Flash comes across as a second-rate Peter Parker, and a bit of a victim at that. You can sympathize with Flash when he gets kicked back down to alternate even after Peter ditched the team (twice, by the film's end).

And I never got the sense that Holland's Peter Parker carried any kind of guilt over the choice that led to Uncle Ben's death. Honestly, I can see why they didn't show the origin, because I can't even believe that Holland's Peter would ever be selfish enough to let the burglar go. This is a kid who's wanted nothing more his entire life than to be a hero. There's a story there somewhere, but quite frankly, it isn't Peter Parker's.

As for the humor? I still think Raimi's Spidey had the best quips. Holland fired off a few lines with the bank robbers, but never really said anything when fighting bigger threats like the Shocker and the Vulture. People seem to underestimate how quipply Tobey Maguire was as Spidey--I honestly think he got in more good one-liners than Garfield or Holland.
    This Peter Parker and Aunt May were more like the Ultimate Universe characters. No Uncle Ben lesson, and Aunt May younger and stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    I think we watched different films. Also the entire film was about Responsibility and power. Like the WHOLE thing.
    You can tell that Uncle Ben was there, when Aunt May got all choked up about Peter.

Also everyone just so you ALL realize. This IS an Alternate Universe, just like in the comics alternate universes, they don't always align.

THE MCU's Designation is Earth-199999 Not, Earth-616
    Would you say Marvel are ignoring Raimi's movies, and just doing their own interpretation of where Spider-Man comes into the MCU?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Not the best Spidey movie, but obviously the best we've had in 15 years. That's still saying something.

Michelle (or MJ) served no real plot purpose, but I liked seeing her all the same. I can't wait for her to meet Mary Jane in a future movie.

The dates for the timeline don't make a lick of sense, even if the sequence of events do. It's only a minor quibble, though.

Tony doesn't outright say it, but on at least two occasions he voices his regret in what he believes as recruiting a child soldier. It also adds more context to why Peter was abruptly pulled out of action in Civil War (particularly the "If Cap really wanted to rip you apart, he would have" line. Even if it doesn't make sense in 616 standards, it does here). This is also most likely why Tony doesn't try very hard to convince Peter to change his mind, in an excellent parallel to when Adrian offered Peter alcohol.

We all need a friend like Ned.

Lastly, I thought Vulture had the potential to be one of the better MCU villains. By scaling the action back from your typical Marvel movie, there was way more emphasis on character work. The only thing lacking here was actual screen time for Vulture as a dad. It's funny how many MCU films give the villain plenty of screen time and kind of squander it. Here we have Keaton taking a c-list villain and really turning him into a guy with a valid point, which was an utter delight. He's not looking to rule the world or usurp the government or destroy anything. His grudge isn't even with Peter, it's with Tony. And even then, even though he hates Tony, he'd still rather just keep his distance, more concerned with giving his family and employees the good life rather than fighting for pride or ego. We need more Keaton.
    I never saw it before, but Liz and Vulture do resemble Harry and the Green Goblin, as to the shock Peter experiences when he finds out people he loves have super villains for fathers.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Would you say Marvel are ignoring Raimi's movies, and just doing their own interpretation of where Spider-Man comes into the MCU?
    Continuity wise, yes, of course they're ignoring Raimi's movies.

But Homecoming and its sequels, as well as the last set of Spider-Man films, exist in the shadow of the Raimi films. And a lot of their actions are in response to the Raimi films. There's a reason Homecoming didn't have any trace of the Osborns.

Fantastic Member

It's funny how the general society seems to have this sense that Spider-Man is some kind of ageless highschooler. I think it stems from cartoons. My mom asked my why he never graduates, and was confused when I said he didn't even meet Gwen or Harry until college, and was depicted seeking a masters degree for longer than he was depicted in high school. It just seems like a lot of the "Parker luck," or "weight of the world" or "self loathing responsibility" situations come from him having a more self sufficient ecosystem. I picture the the scenes of him dragging himself in the window of his apartment after he'd been spider-manning for two days straight, with several issues of a few different books depicting what he's done since he last slept. I think it would be hard to portray that kind of thing with a teenage Parker. I would love to see Holland go through that. Of course, he might die before that can happen, since Aaron Davis has a nephew. I'm kind of torn on that point, since I'd love to see Miles, but if I did, I'd like to see him experience the burden of succession after the city mourns a dead Peter, since that was one of the things that made him compelling in the first place. It also seems like a better place to start than "Spider-Mentor," which seems like the only other route of succession.

Am I the only one who thinks Sony and Marvel are ignoring the Daily Bugle because no actor can live up to J.K. Simmons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks Sony and Marvel are ignoring the Daily Bugle because no actor can live up to J.K. Simmons.
    I think they're ignoring it because it's 2017 and newspapers are irrelevant dinosaurs.