View Poll Results: Is It Time For The O5 To Go, or Should They Be Here To Stay?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • It’s time to send them home!

118 73.29%
  • I’m enjoying them and I don’t want to see them go!

29 18.01%
  • I couldn’t care less either way.

14 8.70%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    And, if Scott hadn't stolen a page from the Nazis' playbook -- Hank wouldn't have gone back in time to bring them to the present
    i hope you're not serious with this comment. if you are, i don't know that you've actually read any x-book in the last ten years

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    they should have been sent home when Bendis left. i would much rather read about Havok, Polaris, Warpath... you know. guys who don't have a book right now.

Warpath is in Weapon X

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    I still can't quite figure out how on 10 x-books we don't have room for this gang? Literally 10 x-books and not one has a team I'm interested in. It's like Marvel knows exactly what I don't want and decides that's what their going to give me.
    I find it funny that people actually think with them gone that they'll all of a sudden use old school characters like Karma and Dani on a flagship basis. They weren't used much before and they sure as hell won't be used now. So unless they venture off to other titles ( like Cannonball and Sunspot did) they won't get focused under their own umbrella.

Remember that joke when Cyclops was like either Cannonball or Dani will take the helm from me so I'll train them both for the harsh realities at hand?...yea as expected that went nowhere.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacaoni View Post
    I find it funny that people actually think with them gone that they'll all of a sudden use old school characters like Karma and Dani on a flagship basis. They weren't used much before and they sure as hell won't be used now. So unless they venture off to other titles ( like Cannonball and Sunspot did) they won't get focused under their own umbrella.

Remember that joke when Cyclops was like either Cannonball or Dani will take the helm from me so I'll train them both for the harsh realities at hand?...yea as expected that went nowhere.
    No one here actually expects these characters in the books. We're simply expressing our desires and discontent.

They may not be in a book instead, but the logic is sound. One argument against the O5 (and new mutants in general IMO) is that if there are so many unused X-men, why add more. Especially considering that at the time of their arrival at least 3 (4 if you count Angel) were still alive.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    They may not be in a book instead, but the logic is sound. One argument against the O5 (and new mutants in general IMO) is that if there are so many unused X-men, why add more. Especially considering that at the time of their arrival at least 3 (4 if you count Angel) were still alive.
    That's is what the X-men is about though. Adding more and more characters then never using them unless they're easter eggs in later arcs so you can say Yay so and so!! Remember Slipstream, Thunderbird 15 (sorry III) and Lifeguard? Sage? Firestar? Mercury? Loa? Trance? The lights? Characters are always created and discarded for the likes of Storm, Cyclops, Beast, Emma, Jean, Angel and the other Mainstay X-men. Those are the characters you think about immediately when you think X-men.

I have low expectations looking for some favorites unless they're the main ones.

Characters have to be exceptional to gain equal footing with the mainstays. The biggest stars of the 21st Century so far: X-23, Daken, and... ew... Fantomex. They've all got personalities and backstories and powers that writers want to use and readers want to read about, plus they've received great editorial pushes.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

That's is what the X-men is about though. Adding more and more characters then never using them unless they're easter eggs in later arcs so you can say Yay so and so!! Remember Slipstream, Thunderbird 15 (sorry III) and Lifeguard? Sage? Firestar? Mercury? Loa? Trance? The lights? Characters are always created and discarded for the likes of Storm, Cyclops, Beast, Emma, Jean, Angel and the other Mainstay X-men. Those are the characters you think about immediately when you think X-men.

I have low expectations looking for some favorites unless they're the main ones.
    I get that many are discarded, but that doesn't stop people from being upset that more are added while the ones they like are kept in limbo, even if the new ones don't actually prevent them from being in limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Something you like is gone and you believe it can't come back since there's something else which you don't like in its place. I'd wager that's how many feel about the O5's presence.
    This is really at the heart of my issues with the o5. The more stories told about the o5, the more it's cements them as the legitimate versions of the characters and erodes their adult versions history. I don't like that idea one bit. Perhaps unlike many of you I cut my teeth on x-men comics when Uncanny, X-Factor & NM were all at there creative peak. Those characters and where they've gone since are what I am a fan of. I'm not a fan of whatever character or premise marvel happens to slap and x on. I don't have a problem with status quo changes, deaths, etc. as long as they are earned. That said, the further marvel gets from the formula that originally drew me to be a fan, the less likely I am to stay with the franchise. IMO there a long way from that formula today and the o5 is a clear embodiment of that.

BANNED

I mean, they might get a push when their movie comes out. I'd much rather read an X-Men Blue about Dani, Sam, Rahne, Yana, Berto, Warlock and Lockheed.

This is just my personal opinion. I am not denigrating anyone's choice about the books they read or the characters they like.

As much as I think that reboots or relaunches are a gimmick, I seriously think that Marvel needs to press the reset button on certainly the X universe and really go back to basics.

Something like one (or two at a push) X-Men titles, (one of which should certainly be Uncanny), a New Mutants-esque title (not necessarily with those former members) and use a regular Unlimited title and limited series to capture the characters that don't feature in the above.

That way they could gauge what people like and maybe give a regular series to the popular stuff.

I'm not suggesting Marvel drop all of the mutant characters who exist now but just make better use of those that people actually want to see.

From reading the forums, it seems to me that there are a lot of people who aren't even reading any of the current X books (myself included), or some of those that are do it though habit without really enjoying the content.

People obviously care a lot about characters like Havok, Polaris, Rogue, Cannonball, Mirage, Wolfsbane etc. etc. who currently don't get a look-in and Marvel is missing a trick not using them constructively.

Get 'em out of here. Nobody wants 'em.

I think that the O5 should go because with them being pulled from the past/alternate universe gives them a time limit - they can't stay forever, much like OML. I loved their series but they have to go. But knowing Marvel, they'll probably make an event around them leaving (maybe BoTA 2 ) and it'll most likely involve the PF. So around October time next year, would be the most likely choice, along with the release of X-Men DP.
    I’ve just published my very first work on ‘Archive of Our Own’, under the same name as here. It is the first chapter of ‘I Am My Own Best Friend ~ An Emma Frost Road Trip’, which focuses on Emma between the events of IvX and Secret Empire, including the White Queen going on a road trip, to try and have fun!

You can read the story here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15795663

I hope you enjoy it as much I did writing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    That's fair.

My follow up question then is why get rid of them if others are enjoying them? How does people enjoying something that you don't like affect you in any way?
    it affects me because they won't bring the actual cyclops back, or the actual jean because these losers are running around. if people like them, that's fine, i wouldn't knock them, but i feel that marvel is ok with having a Scott and Jean around will be fine for fans, and the reality is that it isn't

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
    This is just my personal opinion. I am not denigrating anyone's choice about the books they read or the characters they like.

As much as I think that reboots or relaunches are a gimmick, I seriously think that Marvel needs to press the reset button on certainly the X universe and really go back to basics.

Something like one (or two at a push) X-Men titles, (one of which should certainly be Uncanny), a New Mutants-esque title (not necessarily with those former members) and use a regular Unlimited title and limited series to capture the characters that don't feature in the above.

That way they could gauge what people like and maybe give a regular series to the popular stuff.

I'm not suggesting Marvel drop all of the mutant characters who exist now but just make better use of those that people actually want to see.

From reading the forums, it seems to me that there are a lot of people who aren't even reading any of the current X books (myself included), or some of those that are do it though habit without really enjoying the content.

People obviously care a lot about characters like Havok, Polaris, Rogue, Cannonball, Mirage, Wolfsbane etc. etc. who currently don't get a look-in and Marvel is missing a trick not using them constructively.
    I agree with most you say. I for one was a big fan of New X-men. The teen team book was great and refreshing...plus it had characters like Dani evolving by being a teacher and psychiatrist. I'm sure a lot of people hated that book since of course having Dani there prevented her from being with her own team and others from her team were nonfactors except for Cannonball I think. Pretty sure the New X-men got this same type of treatment as I remember the haters here saying the same comments about them.

Bottom line is: I don't think the X-men need a reboot, but they do need to add books for everyone using more characters. The problem I see her is its hard to do that with 2 teen books, A hero book, an X-force book and an Uncanny like book. All the usual basis are covered.