Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Honestly, I want Claremont to go to STAR WARS instead of the X-men all over again. : O

A Princess Leia written by Claremont would get my attention back on that character!

Another small note - I was NOT aware that Ann Nocenti was ever closely associated with the X-men?? : | I recall her big legacy being on a completely different book: DAREDEVIL. Typhoid Mary is still her legacy. (as I understand it... the original Mary alter ego is actually somewhat visually similar to Nocenti herself... possibly as a gag by JRJR)

In fact, I don't even recall her EVER writing X-men or New Mutants?? When the heck was this?! Was it during the Norm Breyfogle "Boom-Boom and the Case of the Cutes" -Inferno era, by chance...? I hated every single X-book at the time. : [ Never a fan of the Reavers or Saladane or Demons or Mr Sinister or ANY of that crap.

The X-line was starting to jump the shark from ca 1988-1990! And then... it was all over. Dang Liefeld and CO...

Fantastic Member

I think Claremont needs to be handed a dead franchise like he had decades ago.

Give him Generation X, New Warriors, Six Pack, or Excalibur.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    lol.

A book about the 05, Magneto, Sentinels, Juggy and Black Tom, Emma, (New) Tian, a young Wolvie, yep, that's just blistering creativity.... not a retread in sight.

Right, because Clarmont never reused any character/storyline ever........
    Last edited by Wissenschaft; 07-09-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Why settle for pyrite when you can have the real thing?!

"No ideas original. There's nothing new under the sun. It's never what you do but how it's done"

I couldn't bring myself to enjoy the last two times Claremont took over.

I'd honestly rather have Fabian Nicieza, Scott Lobdell, Steven T. Seagle, and Joe Kelly back. Loved me that 90's X-Men.
    Currently Reading: Amazing Spider-Man, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Renew Your Vows, Mighty Thor, Silver Surfer, Infamous Iron Man, Spider-Man, Walking Dead, Saga, Renato Jones

Quote Originally Posted by UMAN View Post
    I'd honestly rather have Fabian Nicieza, Scott Lobdell, Steven T. Seagle, and Joe Kelly back. Loved me that 90's X-Men.
    Seagle and Kelly deserve a second shot at the X-Men but they're heavily into successful TV shows. They might not have time or desire to return.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Another small note - I was NOT aware that Ann Nocenti was ever closely associated with the X-men?? : |
    Closely??? Oh you blasphemer! She was UXM (assistant) editor ca. from 1984 to 1988! My superfavorite X-run happened under her rule!

I recall her big legacy being on a completely different book: DAREDEVIL. Typhoid Mary is still her legacy. (as I understand it... the original Mary alter ego is actually somewhat visually similar to Nocenti herself... possibly as a gag by JRJR)
    I also love her job in DD and particularly Typhoid. Mary Walker, though, is not a portrait of her, despite her look is similar (dark hair, brown eyes). Ricochet Rita, from the mini 'Longshot', IS indeed based on her, as Arthur Adams himself explained several times.

Annie

Mary Walker

Ricochet Rita

In fact, I don't even recall her EVER writing X-men or New Mutants?? When the heck was this?!
    From memory... She writes some nice extra stories for Classic X-Men with John Bolton, TNM Summer Special #1 ('A mutant in Megalopolis') with Brett Blevins, 'Beauty (=Dazzler) & the Beast' mini with Don Perlin, a quite cool mini for Colossus with Rick Leonardi...and Longshot, of course.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 07-10-2017 at 03:25 AM.

^ Teach the children!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by UMAN View Post

I loved X-Treme X-Men. Between Claremont on that and Morrison on New X-Men, that was the final peak of the X-line for me. It's been a precipitous down hill from there.

The 90's are no where near as good as the 80's in my opinion, even if they were the books coming out when I first started reading. There are some serviceable stories in the 90's, but I felt that was the navel-gazing soap opera period, where nothing really new was brought to the table. Just a bunch of hot 20-something chilling in a mansion, wait a minute, that makes perfect sense. The Real World: Westchester! All the best parts of the 90's were just reaction's to Claremont's work, anyways.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Claremont should have been given an opportunity to write the X-Men movie franchise scripts, or at the very least doctor them.

The state of the comics might be better today than it is now if he had done.

Unfortunately, I think the non-committal sort of young fans these days will not like his style of writing for regular comics as they are put out by Marvel in the 'current year'.

He tells his stories in arcs, not issue #1's for the 'feels', and none of the young have the patience, really.

I love Claremont and would be all for a solo X-Book written by him, or maybe an Excalibur revival.

That said, we have the perfect "modern" replacement for CC. His name is Mike Carey: great ideas, high concepts, love for obscure and unused characters, sharp dialogue, respect for continuity plus his clear devotion to the franchise.

I'm rereading his X-Men Legacy run focused on Xavier and it's soooo good. Not to mention Supernovas, Blinded by the Light, his Necrosha arc, Age of X...

Sadly, Chris Claremont posted on his Facebook page recently that he is writing nothing for Marvel Comics at the present time. So any hopes that the Axel Alonso/Mark Paniccia Marvel X-Office will hire CC is just old X-fans hoping for a pipe dream (and X-MEN EPIC!!!) that is LONG since buried and dead.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by Zodlike View Post
    Claremont should have been given an opportunity to write the X-Men movie franchise scripts, or at the very least doctor them.
    He wrote the Gambit treatment. And that movie has script problems apparently

I don't know if this was reported here, but Chris Claremont revealed that about 3-4 years ago, artist Alan Davis pitched a new Excalibur book to Marvel. With Alan Davis drawing and Claremont writing, bringing back the classic team into the modern Marvel era.

Marvel looked at the proposal, looked over the current comics environment, and passed on the proposal. Their reason: Davis and Claremont are too expensive on a series together. So it is likely we will never see a Davis/Claremont teaming again on an X-book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zodlike View Post
    Does he even knowthe first thing about movie scripts? He's never worked in the medium before.