Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Bendis, Remender (Pre-AXIS then everything went to ****) Christos Gage (Academy), Everyone on The First volume of Secret Avengers, Hickman, Sam Humphries (A.I.), & Al Ewing for me. I haven't dug too deep in Avengers lore though I do give credit to the greats pre-Bendis like Buseik, Stern, & Byrne. Buseik especially since Kang Dynasty was (from what little I've seen) The last time anyone in The Marvel universe actually treated these guys as both Heroes & A team rather than continuously keeping certain characters in Box's or Plot devices over & over again & event comics that kept messing up the status quo for the group before they even had a status quo to speak of (At least with the post Bendis-Era team The Bendis era at least kept a good percentage of it's Rosters for more than a Year after A major event hit.)

Spectacular Member

Stern is my personal favorite closely followed by Busiek, and at least some appreciation for Lee.
    Agreed. Stern was just amazing and Busiek did a very good job.

IMG_1188.jpg Starting with these. Gonna add to it asap. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Last edited by acnblj; 07-25-2017 at 04:30 PM.

I don't know if I can see Bendis as the great Avengers writer now, after Bendis being the architect of the period that saw the degrading of the Avengers and the Super heroes in general. I was originally a great fan of that period from Avengers Disassembled onwards, because it was so unique, with Mark Millars Civil War adding the exclamation point to that period. But after what the Illuminati did, and the bewildering decisions of everyone after, with Secret War and CWI, etc, I look at that period to now, and think, "What a mess". So it's hard to look back at this last 11 years and think admiringly about what happened to our beloved super heroes. Sure, it was a wake up time for heroes to be brought into the 20th Century, but I never thought it would last this long, or come down to admitting super heroing is a self-defeating exercise. It is this realisation, that makes me look less positive at Bendis' architecture here. It will take some time to get me to see this in some positive light.

Quote Originally Posted by acnblj View Post
    IMG_1188.jpg Starting with these. Gonna add to it asap. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I've also purchased the three epic collections books, and am in the middle of (rereading, since I've had these stories in other formats) Masters of Evil. What a great read, and it only gets better as it goes.

Peace

Long-time loiterer

I havent read a ton of Avengers stuff pre-2000, but I do have a reprint of the aforementioned Under Siege by Stern and I liked that a lot.

Coming in from Vol. 3 onwards though; Busiek, obviously, delivered his celebrated run. We haven't had anything that's had that same Avengers feel since, IMO.

I do love Slott and Ewing's Mighty Avengers runs though - although they're quite different due to the events and times they're set in, they have a touch of that Avengers spirit, and I think they could have done wonders if they were ever given the main book, bevause they're a lot of fun.
    Remender's Secret Avengers is also one I go back to quite often, but again, it's quite different to the classic Avengers.

Bendis, Hickman and Waid have their moments, but I can take them or leave them.

it may be a product of my age (32) but i'm going busiek. i've read and can appreciate stern and thomas and others, but busiek's avengers (especially when you add avengers forever) remains the only great avengers run of my lifetime (imo, obviously). i especially loved those first two years he put in on avengers when he was also writing thunderbolts and iron man, we had this mini-busiek universe that felt so connected.

Incredible Member

There are so many good writers in the history of the Avengers but my personal favorite is Englehart. I will defend anyone who says Bendis is their favorite writer as well. I think his Dark Avengers series was fantastic and one of the more memorable runs in recent history IMO.

bendis was very up and down for me.

i didn't mind dissassembled. anything done in comics can be later undone. plus, the post-busiek/pre-bendis avengers was a wasteland of mediocrity, imo. so i didn't mind the shake-up.

new avengers started strong, started to wane, then hit its stride from the civil war stuff through siege before waning again. his civil war tie-ins are much better than the actual civil war book, the lead-up to secret invasion and actual secret invasion tie-ins were once again far superior to the actual secret invasion mini-series, and as mentioned in the post above this, dark avengers was really well done. i thought new avengers started to go downhill prior to the "avengers" relaunch (and i never read his new avengers volume 2, all i remember from it was that ben grimm was on the cover).

"avengers" was OK, i liked the kang stuff, and, continuing the theme, his fear itself tie-ins were vastly superior to fraction's fear itself event. i thought bendis went out with a whimper with that strange microverse story.

if i had to rank modern avengers run (i'll cherry pick "modern" to mean starting w/ busiek's volume 3 relaunch) i'd say:

1. busiek
    2. hickman
    3. bendis
    4. waid

(as i mentioned, the post-busiek era of avengers was so mediocre i can't even recall many of the writers save for geoff johns and his contribution was short-lived)

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post

(as i mentioned, the post-busiek era of avengers was so mediocre i can't even recall many of the writers save for geoff johns and his contribution was short-lived)
    Basically it was Johns and Chuck Austen, which, in my book, was the worst Avengers writer ever, and that is saying a lot considering how much I abhor Bendis' run.

Peace

Busiek was good for his time but he would probably take a new approach today.

Ewing and Bendis both did things I liked. Humphries short though it was.

Stern, Busiek, the rest.