Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Deconstructing Spider-Man:Homecoming Movie - Good vs Bad

Just saw it, really liked it; lot of good little details - not perfect - but highly enjoyable

For those that saw it - what's the good, bad, interesting and concerning?

(Please use spoilers or be cryptic - it just came out)

I still like Raimi's first two Spidey movies best overall, because he gave us a CLASSIC version of Spider-Man and his universe, just updated for a modern setting. Homecoming really missed the mark on that, although with 6 Spider-Man movies and 3 different Spider-Man franchises all in the span of a few years, I understand that they had to do some things differently this time around. I just didn't like all the tech stuff they made him rely so heavily on in Homecoming. But with all that being said, I do think that Tom Holland really nailed both Peter and Spider-Man, giving us the best version of both yet by far. Keaton's Vulture was a badass, too!!! He proved that not all of Spider-Man's best villains have been used on screen yet. Plus, we don't need to see anymore damn GOBLINS for a loooooong time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I still like Raimi's first two Spidey movies best overall, because he gave us a CLASSIC version of Spider-Man and his universe, just updated for a modern setting. Homecoming really missed the mark on that, although with 6 Spider-Man movies and 3 different Spider-Man franchises all in the span of a few years, I understand that they had to do some things differently this time around. I just didn't like all the tech stuff they made him rely so heavily on in Homecoming. But with all that being said, I do think that Tom Holland really nailed both Peter and Spider-Man, giving us the best version of both yet by far. Keaton's Vulture was a badass, too!!! He proved that not all of Spider-Man's best villains have been used on screen yet. Plus, we don't need to see anymore damn GOBLINS for a loooooong time.

I respectfully disagree that Rami updated the characters to a modern setting as those characters clearly felt like the products of the characters Rami read during the 70's which are far removed from when I started reading the comic so outside of JJJ everyone felt off and this is why I like Homecoming more because they actually feel like characters I known. Which also plays into the tech stuff as again when I was reading during the 90's and on Peter was creating and using his own tech like the Spider-Tracer and while yeah ASM got the ball rolling I'm happy that in a Spider-Man movie we finally got to see that his is a extremely smart guy who gets distracted with Spidey shenanigans. This more falls into personal taste for "classic" Spidey

In keeping with the topic I am a bit sad that we'll never get Keaton as Norman as the scene in the car was not only amazing but is pulled right out of the face to face came convos when they're both in and out of costume but on the flip side his performance has imo helped to elevate the awareness of The Vulture.

I change my mind a lot on the subject of Ned Leeds/Ganke Lee as originally I was a bit miffed as one supporting character of a Spider-Man I like is replacing another character/villain of another Spider-Man I like and I'll probably keep waffling on this in the same way with spoilers:
    Scorpion as while he had Gargan's name he to me also came off as the Ultimate version Miles fought
    end of spoilers

Tom Holland is the better Spider-Man, but SM 1 and SM2 were better.

I loved SM and SM2 a lot, but that was years ago. I love the MCU right now and Homecoming fit in perfectly with that universe. I cannot wait until Avengers: Infinity War!

- Jason G. Carr

Astonishing Member

Tom Holland seems to amalgamate traits/aspects of his two predecessors: He has the innocent, earnest "aw shucks" quality of McGuire's take and the more confident, rebellious, and wise-cracking swagger of the Garfield take--he's the best of both worlds. Holland also draws some influence from the wide-eyed, excitement of Micheal Jay Fox's Marty McFly.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 07-08-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JGC View Post
    I loved SM and SM2 a lot, but that was years ago. I love the MCU right now and Homecoming fit in perfectly with that universe. I cannot wait until Avengers: Infinity War!
    Did you like Homecoming more than SM and SM2 ?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    I did.

I think SM2 is slightly better than Homecoming, but Homecoming is in the discussion. I do think it's better than SM1. All three are great super hero movies.

I do think Tom Holland is the best combination of Peter Parker/Spider-Man we've seen on film.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

I really enjoyed that the overall title was so "dialed back". It seemed every movie was about saving the world ... it was nice to see Spiderman handle something a lot more down to earth, especially as much of it was fallout from the "bigger and louder" previous movies. It was perfect for Spiderman. I'm also curious if some of those "jumps over fences" were old-fashioned wire work. They had that feel, and for some reason ... that made me smile.

I also loved how much the movie absolutely permeated with details without beating you over the head. Opening with the classic SpiderMan music? YES. the yellow checkered sleeves on the shockers coat to pay homage to the old outfit? YES. Parker simply _talking_ to people on the street and getting responses that made them seem like people? Yes. School mascot at Parkers school was "the tigers"? Awesome.

Oh and whoever is in charge of casting is a genius. Every time they introduce a new hero, once the movie starts it _always_ feel natural. Not sure how they do it, but that casting crew is brilliant.

That said, I'm mixed on MJ. I liked the character as a character. I liked that they held off that reveal until the end of the movie to encourage the audience to accept her before the reveal and get rid of expectations. It was smartly done ... but that complete 100% rebuild of the character in every aspect other than name? Uhhh ... Not sure I'm on board. It felt like a sacrifice to the tumblr/twitter gods. SHe could have just been her own character and I'd have been fine with it.

I'm also mixed on the tech prevalence in the Spidey suit. I'm largely OK with it ... except that it was completely supplied by Tony Stark. It would have been neat if Parker reprogrammed the suit or made changes or did SOMETHING to show that he was a genius in his own right. His biggest tech claim to fame was cracking a door and making his web fluid. Would have been nice to see him not end in a new tony suit at the end of the film ... but his OWN.

Finally, the "we have a hot Aunt May" got old quickly. She did the role great ... but it remains a change I'm just not thrilled with.

All in all ... a solid, down to earth movie and a breathe of fresh air that the MCU needed.

The CGI for Spidey was a step down from the other MCU movies. Ebert said it well when he described Spider-man's movements in the first Raimi movie, that he just seemed to move without a real sense of mass. I imagine that was by design and not some sort of technical limitation, but I don't like it. It's like the Fox cartoon from the 1990's had a better feel to Spidey's weight.

I give this movie all the credit in the world for actually casting teenagers for a high school movie. The principal characters were older than they appeared to be, but at least were talking about three or four years... and not double digits. Certainly the extras in the background like the kids playing chess looked like freshmen.

I understand the dislike of the Stark tech. I don't think the average person goes into a Spider-man film with the hopes and expectations to see that much gadgetry, but as others have said, if you're on your third version of the character in 15 years, you have to start reinventing the wheel. It's like going back to work on Monday: something you don't look forward to, but are better off doing than not.

I'm also on the list of fans who didn't enjoy Kirsten Dunst as MJ, so the Raimi movies don't get extra credit, in my mind, for having a Mary Jane character. And, again, since this is the third go-round in Hollywood, they did well to do something different than go with MJ or Gwen.

I really enjoyed Spidey 2 when I saw it in theatres, and while I wasn't enthralled by the 2002 flick, I find it to be surprisingly the most re-watchable film of the bunch. I think Homecoming is a terrific step forward, and Holland is excellent playing both Peter and Spider-man. I've read complaints that Tobey was good as Peter but mediocre as Spidey, whereas Garfield made for a great quipping Spider-man but off the mark as Peter, so maybe we have our best lead actor yet. I watched both this movie and Wonder Woman this weekend, and found myself enjoying this one more.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 07-08-2017 at 10:34 PM. Reason: clarity

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    This sums up my thoughts very well. Tom Holland is the best actor to portray Peter Parker and Spider Man. But I would like to see Hobgoblin in the future.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    Yes and yes

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The Stark tech doesn't bother me at all. How do you honestly expect a down on his luck 15 year old to create his own tech from? The most he can do is salvage broken tech which was alluded to in Civil War.
    Last edited by Immortal Weapon; 07-09-2017 at 12:03 AM.

Fantastic Member

Thought the tech was a bit over done personally - but loved the mentorship, and not getting beaten over the head with uncle Ben.

Only things I didn't like we're MJ and Flash - originals opened the door to other groups and points of view in the school vs everything happening on cctv or the team he was on.

sM2 ... Such a different everything; tough to compare side by side