Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Catch Me Up on Spider-Man!

Hey everyone,

So I picked up the Amazing Spider-Man issues recently for the Venom Inc crossover, and I think I'm going to continue reading through the end of Slott's tenure and then backtrack. What I'm asking from you all is help on what's important to read or "essential" for Peter Parker. I actually have managed to collect Amazing back to issue #700. (Don't ask me how I managed! haha). But prior to that, what do I need? Is "Amazing" all I should care about, or should I looked into "Spectacular" as well? There's so much out there, it's actually kind of intimidating lol. Much harder than to backtrack for Deadpool or Daredevil.

I generally collect everything in OHC or omnibus if I can, with the exception of anything from Marvel NOW! onwards, which I'd like to have the single issues if I can manage it. But I'm open to any and all recommendations. Please forgive me if there's a rec thread already for Spidey books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Hey everyone,

So I picked up the Amazing Spider-Man issues recently for the Venom Inc crossover, and I think I'm going to continue reading through the end of Slott's tenure and then backtrack. What I'm asking from you all is help on what's important to read or "essential" for Peter Parker. I actually have managed to collect Amazing back to issue #700. (Don't ask me how I managed! haha). But prior to that, what do I need? Is "Amazing" all I should care about, or should I looked into "Spectacular" as well? .
    You should check in on Spectacular, as it has a pretty interesting couple of significant status quo changes

All of Superior Spider-Man is essential to understanding the home stretch of Dan's run across volumes three and four of Amazing.

Also, if you like, you can try the mini-series Renew Your Vows, also by Slott. Try the RYV spin-off ongoing too if you like, though that is not essential to understanding what's going on in Slott's ASM.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 01-29-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    You should check in on Spectacular, as it has a pretty interesting couple of significant status quo changes

All of Superior Spider-Man is essential to understanding the home stretch of Dan's run across volumes three and four of Amazing.

Also, if you like, you can try the mini-series Renew Your Vows, also by Slott. Try the RYV spin-off ongoing too if you like, though that is not essential to understanding what's going on in Slott's ASM.
    I will! Thanks!

I should note that I was able to get ahold of everything from the main title starting with #700. So I have been able to get Superior Spider-Man. I guess I should say I'm looking for what's important prior to #700. Even writers prior to Dan Slott

BANNED

I will! Thanks!

I should note that I was able to get ahold of everything from the main title starting with #700. So I have been able to get Superior Spider-Man. I guess I should say I'm looking for what's important prior to #700. Even writers prior to Dan Slott
    Oh god, sorry, I misread that entirely and thought you had'nt read anything past 700. ROFL.

Try J. Micheal Strazynski's Spider-Man from 2001-2007, one of the last eras of the Spider-Marriage which sets up things that you've probably seen in Spider-Verse. Also check out the Epic Collections of the Clone Saga for background on characters involved in Clone Conspiracy. Also there are essential trades coming out later this year of Tom DeFalco's Spider-Girl, which picks up plotlines from the 1990s that were left abandoned in the mainline books
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 01-29-2018 at 12:44 PM.

No worries haha I probably could've been more clear.

This is great! I'll start with JMS's Spider-Man and The Clone Saga for sure.

Read the character profile on http://marvel.com, easiest way to catch up. Collecting Spider-Man is hard as you said, unless you're devoted, you're better off starting with the recent arcs and forward.

If I should recommend Spider-Man stories for anyone to read you should get the following:
    Amazing Fantasy 15
    Amazing Spider-Man 001-150
    Amazing Spider-Man annual 01
    Spider-Man Roger Stern Omnibus
    Amazing Spider-Man 252-284 (skip 262, 264, & 274)
    Amazing Spider-Man 300
    Amazing Spider-Man 315-317
    Staczynski (JMS) + JRjr run
    Spider-Man: Clone Saga mini 1-6
    Peter Parker: Spider-Man volume 2 #21-50
    Sensational Spider-Man (that was Marvel Knights Spider-Man) as soon as this title change happened til the end (skip the very last issue, and the one before it).

Some would recommend the 21st annual, but it's mostly filler issue until a few pages of marriage.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Hey everyone,

So I picked up the Amazing Spider-Man issues recently for the Venom Inc crossover, and I think I'm going to continue reading through the end of Slott's tenure and then backtrack. What I'm asking from you all is help on what's important to read or "essential" for Peter Parker. I actually have managed to collect Amazing back to issue #700. (Don't ask me how I managed! haha). But prior to that, what do I need? Is "Amazing" all I should care about, or should I looked into "Spectacular" as well? There's so much out there, it's actually kind of intimidating lol. Much harder than to backtrack for Deadpool or Daredevil.

I generally collect everything in OHC or omnibus if I can, with the exception of anything from Marvel NOW! onwards, which I'd like to have the single issues if I can manage it. But I'm open to any and all recommendations. Please forgive me if there's a rec thread already for Spidey books.
    If you mean overall, Spectacular is where Black Cat showed up mostly and where Jean DeWolfe was killed, which started a darker era of Spidey comics in the 80's (Jean's death story arc is from Spectacular #107 to #110), Secret Wars shows how he got the symbiote (Secret Wars #8), ASM #300 where he fights Venom for the first time, there's also Hobgoblin Lives to show the return of Roderick as Hobgoblin (And to retcon away that Ned was the first Hobgoblin, which was mentioned in ASM #289, which also started Macendale as Hobgoblin), and then there's JMS' run which started the whole spider totem crap, which Slott used in Spider-Island and Spider-Verse.

Edit: Also, if you wanna go back all the way to the 60's most of Spidey's iconic villains debuted there, like Chameleon on in ASM#1, Vulture and Tinkerer in ASM#2, Otto in ASM#3, Sandman in ASM#4 and so on, better buy those in some online shop though lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 01-29-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Thanks, guys. I think I'll definitely look into the JMS Ultimate Collections and go from there.

I also noticed complete collections for Brand New Day and Big Time. Worth checking out?
    Last edited by cc008; 01-29-2018 at 08:36 PM.

Check Big Time, skip Brand New Day.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Check Big Time, skip Brand New Day.
    Roger that.

BANNED

Roger that.
    BND has some good stories you might want to check out, but yeah, it's largely unremarkable, and anything that carries over from it is undone in Big Time in very short order.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 01-30-2018 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    BND has some good stories you might want to check out, but yeah, it's largely unremarkable, and anything that carries over from it is undone in Big Time in very short order.
    Very cool, I will!

How about any minis or anything that are important? I heard Spider-Men II was sort of lackluster, but what about the first issues?

Astonishing Member

Brand New Day gets a lot of flak since it is the direct result of the One More Day storyline that many people hate.

But Brand New Day was pretty much the only solo Spider-Man title for several years, and it had major developments for Peter's life. The complete collections can help fill you in. Due to having a rotating group of writers, many sub plots and characters would pop up in one story, be ignored in the next, then be center stage right after. If you are reading the series and don't like a story, you can skip to the next story without too much bother. The subsequent stories usually mentioned the plot points from previous stories so you won't be lost.

Despite how polarizing it seems to be, is One More Day worth the read? Or should I not?

Very cool, I will!

How about any minis or anything that are important? I heard Spider-Men II was sort of lackluster, but what about the first issues?
    I find both Spider-Men to be lackluster to be fair, though Spider-Men II is definitely the worst one.

Of a mini that is important, I already mentioned Hobgoblin Lives, there's also Family Business which introduces Teresa (Not exactly necessary to read since first issues of Zdarssky's Spectacular explains what happened in Family Business), don't remember anything else right now though...

Despite how polarizing it seems to be, is One More Day worth the read? Or should I not?
    If you're willing to put up with a slow ass paced story with a horrible ending, sure, otherwise just knowing it happened is enough.