Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

the mary jane twist robbed me wrong. her initial M.J is as important as the full name mary jane watson. it was handled poorly. It felt like they were trying to have their cake and eat it too. they were trying to tell us she is mary jane but she is not mary jane.

I saw Spider-Man Homecoming opening night and while there was some stuff I liked there was other stuff I didn't like.

The Good: MICHAEL FREAKING KEATON. Seriously, the guy is one of the most talented actors, ever. Every scene he was in had this gravitas to it. He owned every scene he was in and I definitely loved his take on the Vulture (Which is someone we've never seen before). The motivation behind him stealing the alien tech had some valid points, it's understandable and real to a certain extent. I could go on but I have limited space LOL. I liked him. I liked the pacing of the movie, most of the scenes seemed to fit organically into the movie and nothing seemed to be rushed or thrown in. (Thor's whole pool diving expedition in Age of Ultron comes to mind. A completely useless scene to take up time).

I liked Marisa Tomei, she played a great modernized take on Aunt May. And the hot Aunt jokes were pretty funny. She's still a very beautiful woman.

Finally, I liked Tom Holland. He's a likeable guy and there were moments in the movie that showed me that if they went in a different direction he still would've been able to pull off a more angsty, or pensive Peter Parker/Spider-Man.

The Bad: I personally, did not like the tone that they went with. For some Disney/Marvel movies the very very light tone and Jokes Galore works, LIke Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant Man, but does every movie they make have to be like an episode of Whose Line is it Anyway. And I know that some people will say that's who spider-man is but that is not necessarily true. It really depends on the version of Spider-Man. This movie felt like a cartoon version of Ultimate Spider-Man thrown onto the big screen. And while that may appeal to a younger audience, it may not appeal to the older audience like myself. I do not particular care for Ultimate spider-Man, but it seems like it is becoming the default version of Spidey.

I did not really see the need for Ned, what was his purpose besides being more comic relief in a movie that is filled to the brim with comic relief. I know someone might say that well he did save Peter's life at the end which leads me to another point. Where is Spidey's Spider-sense. It seems like this is another movie that has ignored the spider-sense. In Raimi's movies it was at least alluded to. I didn't see it once in Spider-Man Homecoming.

Next point, Since when does Spider-Man worship the ground Tony Stark walks on. That was one of the most frustrating aspects in Civil War and it is clearly evident in this movie. Of my knowledge of Spidey comic books I don't recall Spider-Man worshiping or seeking out Tony Stark as a mentor figure. Spider-Man has always been a ground level character if he were to seek out some advice for anything it would be Daredevil or Luke Cage....hell even wolverine, Captain America, but Stark??? Nah son. I wanted to tear my hair out when Peter said he wanted to be like Stark.

I would have liked to see Spider-Man actually take down the Vulture instead of having the Vulture take down the Vulture. I mean really I don't even recall Spider-Man in this movie throwing a punch, or a kick or really battling the Vulture, like in the previous movies, SM1: Spidey had a brutal fight with the Green Goblin SM2: Spider-Man threw down with Ock 3: Sandman Amazing Spider-Man 1- He fought the Lizard. I kept screaming in my mind Fight. Fight. but he didn't really fight him. He just did some flips.

Final point for now would be the suit. While some of the gadgets were cool and it made for some funny or interesting moments, I kept thinking to myself is all of that really necessary. Spider-Man has only really needed his web-shooters. I've always liked the aspect of him being some guy who made his costume in his room, which is kinda why I got excited when he put on his original costume (Which kinda looked like Scarlet Spider costume). Part of Spider-Man's character was that all he really needed in a fight was his will to never give up. And in this movie it seemed like he relied too much on the suit. The suit is what made him spider-Man. Even when Stark gave it back at the end, wouldn't it have been better to see him stash that costume away and start making his own.

I know I'm probably in the minority. It seems pretty much everyone has fallen in love with this movie, and while I want to love it, I can't. At best it is good not great.

Spider-Man 2 is still the best Spidey movie to me, and that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaddor View Post
    the mary jane twist robbed me wrong. her initial M.J is as important as the full name mary jane watson. it was handled poorly. It felt like they were trying to have their cake and eat it too. they were trying to tell us she is mary jane but she is not mary jane.
    Yea the MJ reveal just felt a bit odd. I mean, while the casting for Flash definitely had a lot to live up to for people's expectations, I find that he did capture a more modern kind of bully/popular guy type of character which still could fit a high school Flash. MJ on the other hand didn't really feel like she had any of Mary Jane's personality traits so the reveal felt a bit forced especially when she has a different name. We'll have to see where things go from here to see if the name was meant to be a cleaver nod and that Mary Jane is a character who will be revealed later or if she is literally the MCU Mary Jane.

Astonishing Member

I loved the movie. I don't really see the point comparing it to Raimi's Spider-Man (which I grew up watching) because it was a different era and context altogether. I can compare it favorably to the Webb Amazing Spider-Man series (of which I liked the first one and didn't care much for the second).

Homecoming in general, and Holland in particular, have IMO perfectly recaptured the tone of the early Lee/Dikto Spider-Man, albeit updated to the present-day. There's relatively little angst, hardly any brooding, and more fun and optimism. From what I've read of those early issues, Peter didn't actually spend most of his time brooding about Uncle Ben's death and his culpability in it. He was more concerned about balancing being Spider-Man with his responsibilities as Peter Parker (sometimes succeeding and sometimes humorously failing) while tenaciously fighting his villains and saving the day, no matter what life threw at him. And I think Homecoming captured that feeling better than the other two iterations of the franchise did.

I honestly didn't mind the changes to the source material as far as the supporting cast is concerned. The Liz twist was a genuine surprise that actually blew me over and the scene that followed was brilliant. I think Ned (aka Ganke in all but name) was a nice little addition to the mythos. I found Zendaya's 'Michelle' character off-putting a bit but I could appreciate the need to reflect the diversity of a contemporary high school (by diversity I'm not talking about race as much as I am about personality and mannerisms) - I'm a little mixed on her being 'MJ' though. It seems like a way for Marvel to have their cake and eat it too (something Feige has pretty much admitted in an interview)...and almost came across as a joke about seemingly original characters in reboots being revealed as canonical characters eventually (John Blake, Eve Moneypenny, Khan...the list goes on!) But in general, I don't mind tampering with the supporting cast because let's face it - pretty much every adaptation has already. Harry Osborn, Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane Watson originally had NOTHING to do with Peter in high school - yet we've accepted several movies, cartoons and the Ultimate Universe which said otherwise.

The one aspect I found a little, well, not 'off-putting' but jarring certainly was the whole Tony Stark/Happy Hogan subplot. I understand the need to highlight the fact that Spider-Man is now part of the larger MCU, and to also lead out of Spidey's cameo in Civil War in a way that makes narrative sense. But Peter basically being Tony's arms-length protegee and wanting to seek his and Happy's approval didn't at all seem like my mental image of Spider-Man. Then again, I appreciate that this is a different take on the character and his origins and honestly, its a credit to the film that Tony's presence didn't really overshadow Peter's arc too much. Honestly, I felt it paid off pretty well when Peter decides in the end to reject Tony's offer and remain a 'Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man'.

The teched-out Spidey suit with AI was certainly a fun concept for this movie but I am concerned about its long-term ramifications for the franchise. Since Peter continues to wear the suit Tony gives him, will Karen remain a fixture of future Spider-Man movies? Will he continue to have a suit with all kinds of fancy features like web-grenades and an 'interrogation mode' (not to mention, 'instand kill')? I'm not really sure if it'll be a good thing or a bad thing moving forward.

Fantastic Member

I enjoyed this movie a lot. I was 14 when 'Spider-Man' came out and I kind of wish I could've been 14 again to experience this one.

I thought it all worked, a few minor nitpicks: more Vulture, more Liz, less tech.

While I avoided spoilers, I did find out that Toomes was Liz's father before I saw the movie, I wonder if it would've been more of an impact if I didn't know.

Overall, I think this, SM2 and ASM1 are my top movies, but I'd have to watch them all again to be certain.

1. SM2
    2. Homecoming
    3. ASM
    4. SM
    5. ASM2
    6. SM3

Though I have enjoyed every movie

BANNED

Having watched the movie twice now, and having liked it even more the second time around, I'm hard put to find any real fault with Homecoming. I love its warmth and charm and I love it for the fact that in allowing Peter to have to struggle to learn the ropes it feels so different from not just any other Spidey film but any other superhero movie.

As for the high tech Spidey suit, I like it. That's one element I can see some fans being rankled by but I really dig it. One, it gives Peter one more complication in his learning process - one that leads to some of the movie's biggest laughs ("Interrogation Mode"). Two, by giving Peter K.A.R.E.N. to talk to and bounce ideas off of, it solves the problem of what to do when your main character is spending a good deal of the movie alone. Three, it helps make the prosaic detective elements of the story seem more interesting by having K.A.R.E.N. lend her surprise assists - it's like Peter keeps discovering new "powers". And four, it just looks cool and why argue with that?

In the comics, we take for granted Peter's ability to create a homemade costume that looks as good as it does but in live action it's always a stretch. Maguire's Peter goes into the wrestling match with a busted suit but is subsequently able to magically make one that we know in real life costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. And not just that one but all the new ones he has to make every time the old one is torn to sh*t, which is a lot. Here, we get a Spidey suit that looks fantastic and it doesn't require any suspension of disbelief to get there. And if Tony Stark is going to hook you up with a superhero outfit, of course it's going to have some kick ass bells and whistles. And as there's precedent in the comics for Tony outfitting Peter, I think it's all fair game.

Speaking of Tony-designed Spidey suits, how much does anyone wanna bet that the outfit that's revealed at the end actually gets some play in Infinity War? I sure hope it does because it looks freaking awesome.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 07-09-2017 at 04:19 AM.

Astonishing Member

I think what I liked most about this film was their reinvention of the Vulture. The really committed to the vulture motif what with his modus operandi and they way they captured his movements. Enough has been said about Keaton's portrayal by just about everyone. What hasn't really been discussed is how they managed to make him so different from Falcon in terms of ability, two regular guys in flight harnesses. While Falcon is all about speed and agility, a rapier, Vulture is more like a flying claymore. I particularly loved the fight on the outside of the stealth plane. There was a real weight to his actions, as he attempted to take care of Pedro without losing ground.

It goes without saying that aesthetically, Toomes has never looked better.

Incredible Member

My 2cents.

Tom Holland as Peter Parker Spider Man is top notch. A nitpick that bothers me the way sometimes Holland’s voice sounds when he’s Spider Man, like muffled or barely understandable. Other than that, he is socially awkward, humble and all around just relatable. He is the perfect Peter Parker Spider Man. That scene where Peter has his voice changed in to a Batman wannabe was hilarious. I liked the Spider Drone. Cute. Peter should invent that in the comics or should have to take pictures for him and act as a support system. Peter wasn’t funny per se but the scenarios he found himself in were. The ASM 33 scene was gold. Also that WTF ending with Aunt May was also gold.

Ganke, I mean Ned, is funny and likable but my beef with him and Betty and the other supporting cast is how they are different characters with the names of canon versions. They took Ganke and gave him the name Ned Leeds. I don't see the need for this. Its like what Marvel did with some legacies like Riri Williams but the book she stars in is still Invincible Iron Man or when Jane Foster lifted the hammer and became Fem Thor but they still called the book Thor.

It’s clear that Zendaya’s Michelle is meant to supplant or fill the role of MJ in the MCU and that we may not get the Mary Jane we expected. That there is not always Gwen, MJ and Harry. I can let go of all the other characters but Mary Jane is vital to me, so this comes off as a copout, especially since Michelle has little to no similarities with the actual MJ Mary Jane. So its just a girl with her same initials? Those two initials are synonymous with a certain redhead in a Spider Man movie. Its also clear Michelle has a thing for Peter, always appearing wherever he’s at. Other than that she really has no significant role in the movie and is lackluster.

Liz was generic but the actress was confident in her role and did the best she could. Flash was a tool and I can’t say I was too interested in the character but he did capture a modern sense of bullying rather than the typical stereotype.

Aunt May is hot (wait, actually, she was hot in Civil War but in Homecoming with those glasses she looked very grandma-ish) but she is annoying at times. But I do find her endearing at a level and she is cool.

Iron Man’s appearances were brief and cool and it did not detract. Michael Keaton as Vulture was wicked in his appearance and an essential part of my enjoyment of the film. His plight and motivations were believable and understandable and his outfit was cool as hell. Here's hoping they make comic book Vulture look like Michael Keaton's face LOL. Also, FINALLY a Spider Man villain that doesn’t die.

The action was... different in the sense that there were no actual fight scenes and reminded me of the 90's animated series where Peter never threw a punch.

So, in conclusion, everything about Tom Holland being Peter and Spider Man was great as was Vulture but the world around them was for the most part underwhelming. Especially the supporting cast. Happy and Stark were frustrating cranky jerks. I really did like the Friendly Neighborhood scenes. I think the movie needed more focus and less characters. It was different enough from the formula used in other MCU movies but it was just above average/good. Good, not great.

Edit: Also those Easter eggs about the Avengers stuff was great as was the Pepper and Tony engagement and Happy having the ring since 2008. The Iron Spider armor looked cool but I'm glad Peter turned it down and kept to the red and blues.

-SM1 (personal favorite)
    -SM2
    -SM Homecoming
    -ASM
    -SM3
    -ASM2
    Last edited by UnknownEntity; 07-09-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post

Next point, Since when does Spider-Man worship the ground Tony Stark walks on. That was one of the most frustrating aspects in Civil War and it is clearly evident in this movie. Of my knowledge of Spidey comic books I don't recall Spider-Man worshiping or seeking out Tony Stark as a mentor figure. Spider-Man has always been a ground level character if he were to seek out some advice for anything it would be Daredevil or Luke Cage....hell even wolverine, Captain America, but Stark??? Nah son. I wanted to tear my hair out when Peter said he wanted to be like Stark.
    According to Tom Holland, the kid that Tony saves in the Stark Expo in Iron Man 2 is Peter.
    http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/06/...-man-2-cameo-/

The hero worship is justified in this case. Tony did mentor Peter during their time in the New Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    According to Tom Holland, the kid that Tony saves in the Stark Expo in Iron Man 2 is Peter.
    http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/06/...-man-2-cameo-/

The hero worship is justified in this case. Tony did mentor Peter during their time in the New Avengers.
    Also this movie pulls a bit from the first two issues of Amazing Spider-Man, that is fighting the Vulture as one of his first super villains but also trying to join a team (in the comics it was the Fantastic Four which he had a bit of worship for in the comics) before deciding against it.

Fantastic Member

I liked Tony - thought he was a better mentor than Reed - at least on screen; because of Robert Downwy Jr and this Peter being 15. Given the age gaps - can't see it being done another way...

Liked training mode in the suit but thought the tech was way over the top; it makes sense that stack would pimp out everyone; but it's basically a iron less iron man suit ...

Thought bits of the vulture story were goblinesque - but **** go for it, Keaton was a blast...was entertaining and s good update although a big odd to go from demolition contractor to super weapon team

Think they did a good job threading it through the MCU , despite the late start

Most of my critiques are around the supporting cast - Michelle is cool, but that can't be MJ

Liked Ned, but saw no reason to call him Ned

I liked homecoming a lot. It was like a John Hughes movie with superheroes. Which was really cool. The part when peter was running around the suburbs reminded me of when I was a little boy and wanted to be spider man. Web swinging would too hard because the buildings and trees aren't tall enough.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

My favorite Spider-Man movie

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownEntity View Post
    Iron Man’s appearances were brief and cool and it did not detract. Michael Keaton as Vulture was wicked in his appearance and an essential part of my enjoyment of the film. His plight and motivations were believable and understandable and his outfit was cool as hell. Here's hoping they make comic book Vulture look like Michael Keaton's face LOL. Also, FINALLY a Spider Man villain that doesn’t die.

Lest you forget, the Vulture isn't the first Spider-Man villain to stay alive at the end of the film -- that honor belongs to Flint Marko(AKA, The Sandman) in Spider-Man 3. Also don't forget the Lizard in ASM and Harry Osborn in AMS2.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Lest you forget, the Vulture isn't the first Spider-Man villain to stay alive at the end of the film -- that honor belongs to Flint Marko(AKA, The Sandman) in Spider-Man 3. Also don't forget the Lizard in ASM and Harry Osborn in AMS2.
    I acknowledge Sandman. I care not one bit about Lizard or Harry Goblin.

Let me put it another way. The first villain who doesn't die in a GOOD Spider Man movie. There, much better. SM3, TASM and TASM2 were subpar below average or bad movies so I do not count them.