View Poll Results: What is your favorite TV Superman?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adventures of Superman

6 16.22%
  • Superboy

2 5.41%
  • Lois & Clark

14 37.84%
  • Smallville

8 21.62%
  • Supergirl

7 18.92%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Favorite TV Superman!

What is your favorite TV version of Superman?

Adventures of Superman (1952)

Superboy (1988)

Lois & Clark (1993)

Smallville (2001)

Supergirl (2015)

I only selected live action versions for the sake of keeping things simple.
    Last edited by superduperman; 07-08-2017 at 06:47 PM.
    Assassinate Putin!

There were two Superboys. (Although all I can really remember about that show was how godawful it was . . . and I have a vague recollection of Abe Vigoda being in an episode.)

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Tyler Hoechlin's before he gets emasculated in Supergirl's season 2 finale.

BANNED

Haven't seen enough of Smallville so Supergirl for me.

Fantastic Member

It was hard to choose between Adventures, LnC, and Smallville. But I went with Dean Cain since I had a huge crush on him back in the 90s.

George Reeves in the Adventures of Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    ^This.

I hold the showrunners and writers of the S2 Finale responsible for the idiotic words Tyler Hoechlin had to recite as Superman. But in the S2 premiere eps, Tyler was great!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    ^This.

I hold the showrunners and writers of the S2 Finale responsible for the idiotic words Tyler Hoechlin had to recite as Superman. But in the S2 premiere eps, Tyler was great!
    Can we please not turn this thread into something that makes me wonder if I took a wrong turn and ended up on a red pill/MRA foru?

This is just creepy.

Retired

There's a big range of difference between all these shows. Which is probably a good thing. And I don't think I've watched all of the episodes for any of them (SUPERGIRL is still going and presumably Superman will appear again).

SUPERBOY was usually on Saturday mornings for me--so that's how I think of it, the same with SAVED BY THE BELL and EVEN STEVENS--so I tend to put all those series in the same compartment as SHAZAM!, THE SECRET OF ISIS and LANCELOT LINK SECRET CHIMP. I quite liked what I saw of the series and I think it was ahead of its time (note how X-FILES is very similar to it), but it wasn't a major network prime time TV show. I really liked Stacy Haiduk as Lana Lang and Sherman Howard as Lex Luthor. Plus this series got its own comic book, which I sometimes preferred to the in-continuity comic books.

SMALLVILLE was an outgrowth of other smalltown teen dramas like DAWSON'S CREEK, GILMORE GIRLS, BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER and ROSWELL. I watched a lot of the series in its early days, but lost interest when it went through the same development that hit DAWSON'S CREEK.

ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN predates my existence as a conscious human being and also predates all the innovations that came to the Superman comics in the '60s and thereafter. But it's clearly a classic that all the other TV shows are in some way reacting to. The actors on that show helped define Superman/Clark, Lois, Jimmy and Perry. It's practically carved in stone.

LOIS AND CLARK: THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN is the only series that really inherited the legacy of he original Superman TV show. It was effective in mixing romantic comedy with action adventure. And I liked it better than the comic books at the time--even though it was supposed to be based on those comics. I eventually found myself flipping channels to watch THIRD ROCK FROM THE SUN on the other channel, but the first two seasons were really entertaining. And Teri Hatcher!

SUPERGIRL was a hard sell for me at first, but I now love it and the star, Melissa Benoist. But Superman is just a minor character in this series. There are like twenty other character that have had more important stories about them on the show.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    ^This.

Like I said, I'm kind of willing to overlook that on the grounds that it's her show and not his. If this had been a SuperMAN show and she still beat him than it would be kind of awkward. But you have to look at it through the prism of the character the show is about. She already got all his villains so it's obvious it's not about him at this point.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Like I said, I'm kind of willing to overlook that on the grounds that it's her show and not his. If this had been a SuperMAN show and she still beat him than it would be kind of awkward. But you have to look at it through the prism of the character the show is about. She already got all his villains so it's obvious it's not about him at this point.
    I actually don't have a problem with Kara beating Kal. It's HER show (even if it's HIS everything else). Kara beat Kal while Kal could neither see nor hear what was going on. He may have been at full strength , but he was obviously not at full capacity and severely compromised. So her victory over him comes with a huge asterisk. No issues there.

No, my problem comes from making Kal say because Kara beat him, now SHE is Earth's champion (because of a rigged fight?), and then he goes further to state that he could never choose between saving Lois or saving the Earth like Kara did with Mon-El.

Bull crap. If Clark let the Earth come to ruin because he couldn't decide or chose Lois instead, then Lois would NEVER forgive him. And rightly so. And Supes would know that.

It is just more of the same: DC character poops on Supes to show how "great" they are, when all they do is devalue the worth of Supes.