View Poll Results: What is your favorite TV Superman?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adventures of Superman

6 16.22%
  • Superboy

2 5.41%
  • Lois & Clark

14 37.84%
  • Smallville

8 21.62%
  • Supergirl

7 18.92%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I thought Tyler did a pretty good job and his acting performance was fine and he had the aura of Superman in those early episodes in spite of the suit and his built and his Clark Kent and Superman combo was good too.
    You're entitled to your opinion and I'm glad that you enjoyed his performance even though I loathed it.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

BANNED

Of the ones I know I'm having a hard time deciding between Lois and Clark and Smallville. I only have very nebulous memories of watching Adventures of Superman but I know that I didn't like it as much as Batman (66).

Between L&C and SMV Cain was the more complete package but Tom probably played a good 'superboy' for their target audience.

I knew there was a Superboy show in the late 80s, but I never watched a single episode.

Voted Lois and Clark.
    Last edited by dumbduck; 07-09-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I actually don't have a problem with Kara beating Kal. It's HER show (even if it's HIS everything else). Kara beat Kal while Kal could neither see nor hear what was going on. He may have been at full strength , but he was obviously not at full capacity and severely compromised. So her victory over him comes with a huge asterisk. No issues there.

No, my problem comes from making Kal say because Kara beat him, now SHE is Earth's champion (because of a rigged fight?), and then he goes further to state that he could never choose between saving Lois or saving the Earth like Kara did with Mon-El.

Bull crap. If Clark let the Earth come to ruin because he couldn't decide or chose Lois instead, then Lois would NEVER forgive him. And rightly so. And Supes would know that.

It is just more of the same: DC character poops on Supes to show how "great" they are, when all they do is devalue the worth of Supes.
    That pissed me the hell off too. I even made an angry tumblr post about how one of the things that Superman: The Movie, the holy Bible of entirely too many fans, did extremely well was that Superman did have to choose between saving Lois and saving California, and he literally had to let Lois die, and yeah he was sad about it and yeah there was a deus ex machina to bring her back, but the point remains that he let Lois die and it was the right thing to do. It's like the most basic thing that the movie got right! So don't give me this crap about how Kara's better than you, Hoechlin--

More to the point of the thread, I voted for Dean Cain, but it was actually kind of a toss-up between him and early George Reeves. I came down on Cain's side because I felt like he was the Superman you could see a ball game and have a beer with and because I think his supporting cast is better (barring Phyllis Coates maybe), but Reeves is also phenomenal and plays the part with an effortless charm that I love to watch.
    WHEN YOU DON'T VOTE, IT ISN'T REBELLION, IT'S SURRENDER!
    DON'T REGARD THE PRIMARY OR THE ELECTION AS A LOST CAUSE!
    VOTE FOR BERNIE SANDERS 2020!

"You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I can't comment on Supergirl because I've never seen any episodes of it, but hypothetically speaking, under any circumstance I'd be annoyed if I thought Superman were just a stepping stool for another character to look better. I don't care whose show it is, I'd rather Superman not appear than be used to prop up anyone else. But, as I said, I didn't see it, so I don't have a specific comment about it.

I guess I'd go with Dean Cain, even though it drew from some Post-Crisis elements I didn't care for. Still, it's a mostly-alpha Superman. Nice guy, does the right thing, most impressive person on the show... not too much to complain about except I think Dean's a little too soft-spoken. The show went south after season two, but it's still unmistakenably Superman.

George Reeves is ahead of my time, and I only saw a few episodes. From what I saw, no complaints. It's a dated show, however, so it's not something I feel like catching up with.

Smallville is too Dawson's Creek for my liking. It's more a Superboy show than Superman, anyway.

1980's Superboy shows were too hokey for me to recommend compared to something like Lois & Clark.

Spectacular Member

Lois & Clark was fantastic.
    Of course the costume was terrible, it was low budget and Dean Cain as Superman was not the best (the show was entitled L&C for a reason)... but he was honest to the character.
    His post-crisis characterization of Clark Kent was perfect though and of course Teri Hatcher was and still is the best Lois ever. Simply perfect.
    I loved Lane Smith (RIP) as Perry and Eddie Jones and K Callan were the perfect Ma and Pa.

The Show lost its heart in the last two seasons because of the stupid pressure from the network but still was incredibly fun to watch because the chemistry between Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher was phenomenal. And still is.

Dean wants a Season 5. So does Teri.
    It will never happen, I know. For multiple reasons.

Sure it would be like finding a lost toy in the attic after 20 plus years... back at playing with it after a long time...

Now that Superman has a child it could/would be interesting...
    Last edited by AntoKent17; 07-10-2017 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AntoKent17 View Post
    Of course the costume was terrible, it was low budget and Dean Cain as Superman was not the best (the show was entitled L&C for a reason)... but he was honest to the character.
    His post-crisis characterization of Clark Kent was perfect though and of course Teri Hatcher was and still is the best Lois ever. Simply perfect.
    I loved Lane Smith (RIP) as Perry and Eddie Jones and K Callan were the perfect Ma and Pa.

The Show lost its heart in the last two seasons because of the stupid pressure from the network but still was incredibly fun to watch because the chemistry between Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher was phenomenal. And still is.

Sure it would be like finding a lost toy in the attic after 20 plus years... back at playing with it after a long time...

Maybe we should write to Netflix. A 10 years later miniseries could be pretty great

Spectacular Member

Well, I guess it would be all for nothing.

They will never air a show about a Superhero around his 40-50's. As Andy Kaufman once said: "tv producers are a bunch of sheep".
    Plus, Superman rights would represent a huge problem...

Sure it would be great, if done correctly (90% L&C interaction, family and work. 10% Dean in the suit).

I already signed a petition on change.org... I'm afraid it will lead to nowhere though...

Of course I'd be the happiest guy in the world. Watching Teri & Dean reprising their roles as the beloved couple would be such a joy.

P.S. Just watched a video about Metropolis Illinois celebration with Dean... They showed all the dresses and suits from the show! Wow! You know... Teri just wore some amazing dresses! From the everyday working dresses to the "I've got a crush on you" one... fantastic!

The show was amazing. It had great atmosphere. It was simply fun for me.

I've got all seasons and every now and then I pretend to be in the early 90's and I go back at watching it.
    Last edited by AntoKent17; 07-11-2017 at 01:28 AM.

Mighty Member

Is it possible to do a Season 5 that wasn't live action or visual? Doctor Who has put out a number of audios and Superman is no stranger to animation. If it was done in some limited release way they might be able to make it profitable.

Please note that I don't expect it to happen. I'm just spit-balling ideas.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Is it possible to do a Season 5 that wasn't live action or visual? Doctor Who has put out a number of audios and Superman is no stranger to animation. If it was done in some limited release way they might be able to make it profitable.

Please note that I don't expect it to happen. I'm just spit-balling ideas.
    Well, I guess the fun of the show was all based on the chemistry ON SCREEN between Teri and Dean. If you take that off the table you just kill the thing, in my opinion.

The Adventures of Superman with George Reeves was good for it's time and is still enjoyable IMO.

Superboy was again something okay for it's time but hadn't age well IMO but has a few good episodes Sherman Howard's Lex and Michael J. Pollard's Mxy are worth a view.

Lois and Clark was fantastic at it's time and still pretty good but really cheesy due to when made.

Smallville is my favorite live action "Superman" tv series I loved that show and even loved the later seasons just wished he got the costume and full powers the last few seasons given it was essentially Superman by then.

Supergirl is a good Supergirl and show and has some great episodes even if they're based off Superman stories. I would had said her Superman was good until the finale the whole she is "better" than him idea rubbed me the wrong way. It's her show I get it and making them equals is cool but better no IMO.

BANNED

What's John Shea [Lois and Clark's Lex] up to these days? I caught him in Mutant X like a decade ago but nothing much else

Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar

One of the more interesting things I thought they could do, now that the Arrow-verse has it's own multiverse, is have the different versions from other shows show up, even if briefly. Since we know the Crisis happens in that multiverse, why not make the Monitor a character and he can have a number of screens showing scenes from each of the different shows? L&C, Smallville, even Superboy and the Adventures of Superman. An open acknowledgement that, yes, all of these universes exist. You could also have Kara bounce around the multiverse running into various versions of Superman. Cain could put the costume on one last time when she lands on his Earth as an "older" Superman. He could even make a joke about how much she looks like his daughter. It's highly unlikely that you'd get Welling in the suit but she could meet the Smallville universe's version of Supergirl. Laura VandersomethingCanadian. They've already acknowledged that the John Wesley Shipp version of Barry Allen exists out there so why not?
    Now listen to me, Clark! This great strength of yours--you've got to hide it from people or they'll be scared of you!

Well, I guess it would be all for nothing.

They will never air a show about a Superhero around his 40-50's. As Andy Kaufman once said: "tv producers are a bunch of sheep".
    Plus, Superman rights would represent a huge problem...

Sure it would be great, if done correctly (90% L&C interaction, family and work. 10% Dean in the suit).

I already signed a petition on change.org... I'm afraid it will lead to nowhere though...

Of course I'd be the happiest guy in the world. Watching Teri & Dean reprising their roles as the beloved couple would be such a joy.

P.S. Just watched a video about Metropolis Illinois celebration with Dean... They showed all the dresses and suits from the show! Wow! You know... Teri just wore some amazing dresses! From the everyday working dresses to the "I've got a crush on you" one... fantastic!

The show was amazing. It had great atmosphere. It was simply fun for me.

I've got all seasons and every now and then I pretend to be in the early 90's and I go back at watching it.
    Spitballing a quick season 5 idea (spoilers for a 20 year old TV show incoming):

In the series finale, a baby is left on their doorstep. Season 5 is 20 years later. Ever since the baby arrived, Clark has lost more and more of his powers. 20 years on, he's almost completely human (we HAVE to get his aging & weight gain out of the way). They don't know why, but the baby started drawing power from him and kept going. In the present day, the now20 year old boy/girl decides to be a hero, so Clark is showing him/her the ropes as best he can.

Over the course of the season, they eventually find out where the baby is from: on December 31st, 1999, Brainiac arrived to destroy the Earth (he was the true Y2K bug). Superman, being the only superhero, is killed in action. But! By this time, he and Lois had figured out how to conceive, and they had a baby. Lois hooks up with H.G. Wells, and travels back in time 3 years or so. Due to temporal shenanigans, Lois was not able to leave a true warning but she leaves the baby with their younger selves. The Kryptonian/Human hybrid has the ability to absorb powers (thus why future Clark is killed), and immediately begins to drain present-day Clark. By the time 1999 rolls around, Clark is so human that Brainiac never detects him, thus Brainiac does not come to Earth in 1999.

Now, in the present day, the child is an adult and has grown powerful enough for Brainiac to detect. At some point the kid gets taken, and it's up to Lois & Clark to somehow restore Clark's powers and rescue their kid. Then, father & son / daughter fight together to defeat Brainiac before Clark loses his powers again.

That's just spitballing. If Dean wants a season 5 and could find someone to go for it, he could write something much better lol But I think a nice 8-10 episode run on Netflix would be plenty to wrap the show & bring closure. You could even have Lois working as the EiC full-time with Perry having passed.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Incredible Member

George Reeves The Adventures of Superman

Fantastic Member

Smallville, to be honest. I loved how Tom Welling developed and how he grew as a character to be honest.