Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    Hobgoblin. I just love the character design and I think a movie set around Halloween would work so well. Maybe throw in Morbius too.
    While I think it'd be a tricky proposition (though not unreasonable) to jump us straight to Hobgoblin, I love this idea aesthetically. I think we are somewhat on the same page in craving a distinct visual flavor for the next film. My first thought was a Christmas/Winter setting with snow, colors and lights covering the streets, etc. I wonder if a slight Christmas theme would actually limit the appeal though. Anyways, looks like they'll be shooting in another country, so that gives them some room for distinct visual flavor.

Going back to villains, I do think Hobgoblin is a stunning visual design, but I'm sure they're hesitant to bring back the Goblin-themed villains anytime soon. I think they will end up going with some "low-key" enemies first for two reasons:

1. To preserve the "Jonathan Hughes" vibe they have carved out. A villain light on superpowers, and lacking any type of ambition to destroy the world or blow up a city helps keep the focus on the dynamics of balancing school, family, and friends that the first film did so well. I mean it's hard to argue a secret identity even matters when the entire earth is at stake.

2. We want to see Spider-Man grow an evolve throughout his time in the MCU, so placing him against arguably weaker enemies is best done early on. It's a harder sell to have Spidey facing off against Shocker in "Spider-Man: Homecoming 3", if he just took down Mephisto in the previous film.\

So with that said, I'll throw out a few guesses/candidates: Kraven, Chameleon, Mysterio, Scorpion.
    Though, personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Spider-Man go up against someone outside of his typical rogue's gallery, now that we have access to the entire MCU, and possibly Dr. Doom soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Parker View Post
    Eh, I think his skill level was reasonable for a novice Spidey. He wasn't completely incompetent or anything. During that ATM heist, he was winning pretty much effortlessly, tossing the thugs around like rag dolls, and was only challenged when they pulled the high tech gravity gun (which he didn't expect them to have) on him, and even then he quickly disarmed the guy who was using said gun. He was probably within a few seconds of winning that scrap before the one henchmen sliced the Bodega in half.

When he interrupted the arms deal, once again, he managed to disarm Herman Schultz and was merely caught off guard by Brice's Shocker gauntlet. Even then, he tracked the two through the neighborhood and would have caught them if the Vulture hadn't swopped out of nowhere and dropped him into a lake (which is basically what happened when those two first met in the comics).

The next two times he fought Vulture, it should be noted that he was actually holding his own pretty well, and the fights only ended because of outside factors (him getting trapped in the DODC vehicle and then the Ferry splitting in half). Plus, when he intercepted the Ferry arms deal, he took out 5 armed thugs and the Shocker in about 30 seconds.

When fighting the Shocker by the busses, Peter defeated him instantly once he got his web shooters. Near the end, he was able to survive the Vulture's attacks while on a plane while simultaneously stopping said plane from crashing into the city. Sure, the Vulture made pretty quick work of him on the beach, but that was after Peter had just been through a plane crash while wearing no protective gear whatsoever.

So, I think this version of Peter is pretty competent, but is just inexperienced. Most of the times where he straight up lost a fight were when he was completely blindsided. And, to be fair, I think the comic version was the same way, Remember when Doc Ock effortlessly defeated Spider-Man when they first met, or when the Vulture easily beat Spider-Man by snatching him up and dropping him into a water tank, or when Kraven shot him with tranquilizers and buried him underground for a week?
    I think Civil War gave him a better showing as a rookie. He wasn't quite on the level of The Avengers but he was able to give a good showing and give them a run for their money, showing a lot of potential as a budding hero.

In Homecoming it just came off as he barely had any idea what he was doing and kept screwing up until the very end.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Needs Mary Jane Watson.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Civil War gave him a better showing as a rookie. He wasn't quite on the level of The Avengers but he was able to give a good showing and give them a run for their money, showing a lot of potential as a budding hero.

In Homecoming it just came off as he barely had any idea what he was doing and kept screwing up until the very end.
    Eh, I think his strong showing in Civil War was partially due to him fighting a bunch of fundamentally decent people who didn't want to inflict too much damage on what was clearly a very young person. In Homecoming, however, he was up against professional criminals who were absolutely not averse to committing murder if it was called for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    Eh, I think his strong showing in Civil War was partially due to him fighting a bunch of fundamentally decent people who didn't want to inflict too much damage on what was clearly a very young person. In Homecoming, however, he was up against professional criminals who were absolutely not averse to committing murder if it was called for.
    All the Avengers were "pulling their punches," as Wanda alluded too, but I still think Spidey was shown doing way better against a team of trained, experienced, heroes then people would've expected from a rookie or teen hero.

Tony bringing up that the only reason he was able to take on Cap was because Cap was going easy on him, while probably true to some extent, just felt more like they were really undercutting Peter and his capability as part of the solo film's narrative.

And that's why I'm more looking forward to the Russo's handling Spidey again then I am Watts in the sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Needs Mary Jane Watson.
    Isn't Michelle Jones just a modified version of Mary Jane? Heck, not only do they fill the same role as well as have many similar personality traits they also share the same iconic initials.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Isn't Michelle Jones just a modified version of Mary Jane? Heck, not only do they fill the same role as well as have many similar personality traits they also share the same iconic initials.
    I think a lot of that remains to be seen.

There's a lot more to Mary Jane then just initials and sass (and certainly her style of sass is different from Michelle's).

I really didn't see much in the way of similar personality or a similar role in Michelle.

I've gotten the impression that they see it more as a brand-new character inspired by Mary Jane and that her having the same nickname is a homage to the original. Whether that means that we've never get a true MCU Mary Jane or not remains to be seen, however, as someone who counts the "real" MJ as my favorite comic book supporting character/leading lady, I think that taking Michelle Jones as her own character allows me to enjoy her for what she is, if that makes any sense.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I've gotten the impression that they see it more as a brand-new character inspired by Mary Jane and that her having the same nickname is a homage to the original. Whether that means that we've never get a true MCU Mary Jane or not remains to be seen, however, as someone who counts the "real" MJ as my favorite comic book supporting character/leading lady, I think that taking Michelle Jones as her own character allows me to enjoy her for what she is, if that makes any sense.
    I can see that. Frankly, I don't understand why they went with an inspired by character rather than a straight revamp of the original MJ. If they wanted a true OC they should have at least given her different initials..

I can see that. Frankly, I don't understand why they went with an inspired by character rather than a straight revamp of the original MJ. If they wanted a true OC they should have at least given her different initials..
    I theorize Michelle is just a cop out, in case she ended up being popular they could say "Yeah guys, she's Mary Jane!", in case she isn't, they can just say "Guys, relax, she's not Mary Jane"

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I theorize Michelle is just a cop out, in case she ended up being popular they could say "Yeah guys, she's Mary Jane!", in case she isn't, they can just say "Guys, relax, she's not Mary Jane"
    All things considered, she could very well be.

So a friend and me were discussing how Norman could be implemented in MCU, which could explain why Oscorp's existance is not even hinted, basicaly, Norman is just a scientist, and he ends up creating the Goblin Serum, maybe he could be working for someone to recreate the super soldier serum or some **** like that, but after turning himself into Green Goblin, he starts doing what he did in his first appearances, to try to control gangs, but this time he succeeds, and he could use the money and manpower from it to start Oscorp itself, this doesn't necessarily have to be in the second movie, but it could be an interesting way to put Norman with him having to work to have Oscorp (Since we mostly see him already having it). What do you guys think? Too much like Kingpin?

• Drop this 'Penis Parker' bit, it's stupid.
    • Make the rest of the characters feel important instead of throwaway characters.
    • Make the character win fights against thugs, and don't make him cocky after losing twice.
    • Limit the property destruction caused by the blunder of Spider-Man, a great deal down. In his solo MCU movie he caused almost all the damage, that plane for instance had no reason to drop down.
    • Limit his idiotic blunders.
    • Stop making Peter Parker steal stuff.
    • I don't want him to run through fences and hedges recklessly.
    • Stay true to this "I think I should be a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man", and stop the "Mr. Stark.." every time.

In short; make the Peter Parker/Spider-Man actually worthy of all the praise he's receiving from audience. And then some.

I know heroes are supposed to go easier on the kid than villains who are willing to kill, but in Civil War Spider-Man was good against heroes who were willing to toss flammable objects at the other side (though Scott intended for water truck and not an oil truck), hit the flying guy with laser that drops him from the sky breaking his bones, drop another hero multiple stories down....
    Between CW and SM:H there has been a huge drop in Spider-Man's skills.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    • Drop this 'Penis Parker' bit, it's stupid.
    • Make the rest of the characters feel important instead of throwaway characters.
    • Make the character win fights against thugs, and don't make him cocky after losing twice.
    • Limit the property destruction caused by the blunder of Spider-Man, a great deal down. In his solo MCU movie he caused almost all the damage, that plane for instance had no reason to drop down.
    • Limit his idiotic blunders.
    • Stop making Peter Parker steal stuff.
    • I don't want him to run through fences and hedges recklessly.
    • Stay true to this "I think I should be a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man", and stop the "Mr. Stark.." every time.

In short; make the Peter Parker/Spider-Man actually worthy of all the praise he's receiving from audience. And then some.
    Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    I know heroes are supposed to go easier on the kid than villains who are willing to kill, but in Civil War Spider-Man was good against heroes who were willing to toss flammable objects at the other side (though Scott intended for water truck and not an oil truck), hit the flying guy with laser that drops him from the sky breaking his bones, drop another hero multiple stories down....
    Between CW and SM:H there has been a huge drop in Spider-Man's skills.
    That was addressed in the movie by Iron Man pointing out that Captain America and the others would've curb-stomped Spidey like Vulture had if they wanted to. He didn't loose any skills, we just saw a fairer assessment of what he could do. (Remember, even in the ostensibly more skilled version from Civil War, it's still a plot point that he's a rookie with little experience crimefighting and none with fighting other superhero/villains.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)