Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sleeper is the best from all you have mentioned. And it's best Brubaker, no doubt about it.

Second place: Gotham Central, really good stuff, procedural police work.

Third: DD by Bru. His Marvel stuff is ok, but it's Marvel and they don't do much good books, personally I would avoid Marvel as much as I can but they have published couple great books, like Elektra by Miller, or my fav Punisher Max by Ennis.

Sleeper is one of the best series I have ever read, it's addictive! haha I read all the issues during 3 days...
    About Daredevil: my reading experience was a bit out of order: first Waid (because all the hype - I never cared too much about DD), then Bendis, Miller and after all that Brubaker. It's not ideal, but I think if you read the Miller stuff after Bendis, you get better the perspective of how innovative Miller stories were at the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by seusilva View Post
    Sleeper is one of the best series I have ever read, it's addictive! haha I read all the issues during 3 days...
    About Daredevil: my reading experience was a bit out of order: first Waid (because all the hype - I never cared too much about DD), then Bendis, Miller and after all that Brubaker. It's not ideal, but I think if you read the Miller stuff after Bendis, you get better the perspective of how innovative Miller stories were at the 80s.
    I've read Miller's after Bendis' and Brubaker's and I actually quite disliked a large portion of it (the original run, the later stuff like Born again is much better. Born again in fact is brilliant). I think it's better to read Miller first because it's a very 80's book (which is not a bad thing in itself).

Buy them all! Buy everything!!!

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I'm with @Balakin, since he's a new reader and at this point only knows the writing style of current comics he should stay within this era for a bit.
    It's nice to see @Bloodbones is open to older, more original fare, but I suspect that's cause he/she might also be curious about the true "starting point" without any frame of reference on how the mediums style has evolved to where it is currently.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my ASM Omnis, vol.1-3 are pure greatness and I await vol.4.
    Golden Age Superman vol. 1 is very, very dated and requires a, I kid you not, something of a mental shift into "historical context" to read them.
    I'd not recommend either for someone this new to comics.

I really think that you can't go wrong with the Daredevil or Gotham Central material. Quality modern fare there.

Never read Sleeper.

While the writing in the Spider-man by McFarlane is less than the remaining others the stories are still fun. Reading that Omni is like watching a Transformers film in some way. You are there for the art/action and when some things click plot wise it's a bonus but it's a joy to look at!
    Don't get me wrong, ASM Vol I is required reading, but if you're not familiar with Silver Age / "old styled story telling" then I'd recommend going for Vol II / III or the Roger Stern Omnibus to start with. Aside from the origin, I feel like Spidey really earned his definitive character traits after Vol I. That said, everything you listed is essential except for McFarlane's Spider-Man which IMO is an acquired taste and doesn't totally nail the essence of the character.

Ok so, finally got my first Omnibus! My girlfriend bought one for me for my birthday. She got me the Daredevil omni by Brubaker Vol. 1 ! So now I want to find the run of Bendis to read first. Would've love to get both Bendis's omnis but they are out of print. Hoping they get reprinted! Could always buy them in trade format but the vol. 2 seems to be out of print too so... probably will wait a reprint in omnibus format.

Oh and read half of The Amazing Spider-Man #1 (not enough time to finish it), and I find it pretty interesting! So I'm thinking about buying the ASM Omni Vol. 1.

The Sleeper and Gotham Central are sure buys too

As for Spider-Man by McFarlane, really love his art and I hear that his run (#1-14) is pretty cool. It's less expensive and for the art alone I think it could be nice to have.

Thanks for all your opinions, really appreciated

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbones View Post
    Ok so, finally got my first Omnibus! My girlfriend bought one for me for my birthday. She got me the Daredevil omni by Brubaker Vol. 1 ! So now I want to find the run of Bendis to read first. Would've love to get both Bendis's omnis but they are out of print. Hoping they get reprinted! Could always buy them in trade format but the vol. 2 seems to be out of print too so... probably will wait a reprint in omnibus format.

Oh and read half of The Amazing Spider-Man #1 (not enough time to finish it), and I find it pretty interesting! So I'm thinking about buying the ASM Omni Vol. 1.

The Sleeper and Gotham Central are sure buys too

As for Spider-Man by McFarlane, really love his art and I hear that his run (#1-14) is pretty cool. It's less expensive and for the art alone I think it could be nice to have.

Thanks for all your opinions, really appreciated

Alex
    last week when I checked there were copies on amazon and abebooks of the Bendis DD ultimate collection v2. But if you are excited to read the Brubaker omnibus I think you can dive into it if you don't mind missing some details. I know some people read that before the Bendis run and loved it.

Spectacular Member RickyMeister's Avatar

Ultimate collection v2 from bendis was the last book ordered for my daredevil collection and i dont think is oop

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Planetary,plain and simple
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse