Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Too many marvel events?

Okay I want to hear your thoughts on this. For me Its getting old every year marvel comics is always making a "blockbuster event" I mean last year we had secret wars And honestly It sucked, It was too drawn out and I'm just getting sick of event after events,Secret empire actually is pretty good though I wont lie but do you think marvel is putting out too many events? I think they need to let stories develop.

Astonishing Member

I liked secret wars generally

It was too drawn out

I think they add to events and change book prices mid run which for me is bad form

Too many pointless tie ins

Good meaningful tie ins I like

Not enough gap between events

Events and crossovers not the same for me

Have the event produced before selling and sell regularly

One major event a year over 2 or so months is ok for me but no story needs 3 or 4 months to tell

Weekly issues 6 to 9 issues I like

Too many too often too little breathing room
    Last edited by kilderkin; 07-09-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comicbookdude1991 View Post
    Okay I want to hear your thoughts on this. For me Its getting old every year marvel comics is always making a "blockbuster event" I mean last year we had secret wars And honestly It sucked, It was too drawn out and I'm just getting sick of event after events,Secret empire actually is pretty good though I wont lie but do you think marvel is putting out too many events? I think they need to let stories develop.
    2016 was Civil War II. I reckon Secret Empire is catching some leftover flak from that event, not to mention the "small" xovers/mini-events like IvX, Monsters Unleashed, etc.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Event after event after event is what drove me away from Marvel years ago. I have not bought a book from Marvel in at least 7 years now because of the endless cycle. They would never even deal with the effects of the previous event before they were already setting up the next ALL NEW ALL DIFFERENT THE UNIVERSE WITH NEVER BE THE SAME nonsense.

Incredible Member

They are addicted to events, they should change their names to Event Comics.

I know they promised no events for 18 months, but between Secret Empire, Generation and Legacy (yeah I know the last one in not and event but still) we are still far from the dreamed no events future...

Yearly events aren't inherently bad, it's just that we gotten so many bad ones as of late. Save for Secret Wars, almost everything has come up to being mediocre at best. Judging by how Secret Empire is going so far, I don't have much confidence in Marvel leading from this.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

I don't see what's wrong with the events marvel done at least recently that is, secret wars the 2015 versions was amazing and civil war ii although I wasn't a fan of how they chose to portray Carol Danvers/captain marvel in the storyline I believe honestly in my opinion that it wasn't as terrible as people claimed it to be and I would even say ivx also wasn't as bad looking back at that story and well secret empire I believe is shaping up to be one of the greatest storylines that marvel has given us in a very long time.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 07-09-2017 at 02:18 PM.

There's a different flavor to event stories. They're all big, all-encompassing, and desperately important. The story becomes more the event, why it's happening, and how it can be resolved moreso than the participants. Marvel spent decades defining and working on their characters. They gave us heroes with dark sides and villains with light sides. An event forces us to rely on a character's history. During an event we can see drastic changes and often OOC moments. None of these matter unless we know the characters.

Non-event stories build characters. Whether it's powers, relationships, behaviors, or any other aspect of a character's life, that definition is there. If a big event happens, and BananaMan spends 10 issues dealing with it, growing from that experience, and picking up experience, the BananaMan in the Year X+1 event is not the same Bananaman in the Year X event.

Yes, Marvel does series that focus on the character and don't tie into events all the time. Those are the usually quirkier series (BTW, I love some of them). Other books are long drawn out major stories. Steve Rogers and Steve Strange. I'm throwing "writing for the trade" under the bus here. With a five or six issue story, it's either BIG or very padded. Not that BIG is a problem, but if everything is BIG, nothing turns out actually being BIG. Small done-in-ones become quirky.

Yes, I'm rambling.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    2016 was Civil War II. I reckon Secret Empire is catching some leftover flak from that event, not to mention the "small" xovers/mini-events like IvX, Monsters Unleashed, etc.
    Here's the thing. Crossovers and other incentives to buy more things will always do better than not having incentives to buy more things. There's a difference between a big blockbuster event and smaller ones. With the former, I'm completely sick of it. But I liked Standoff. I think the way they're doing it this upcoming year (for the most part, Venomverse appears to be an older model) with two books that cross over for a total of four issues, works well. You only have to buy one to two extra books a month and, if you're not reading that event, you don't have to buy any (of course, that means they have to spread around which books have crossovers so they can get one you're reading eventually).

It's completely unrealistic to say "no crossovers at all." But I do want to see a moratorium on blockbuster events for more than just the promised 18 months.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Here's the thing. Crossovers and other incentives to buy more things will always do better than not having incentives to buy more things. There's a difference between a big blockbuster event and smaller ones. With the former, I'm completely sick of it. But I liked Standoff. I think the way they're doing it this upcoming year (for the most part, Venomverse appears to be an older model) with two books that cross over for a total of four issues, works well. You only have to buy one to two extra books a month and, if you're not reading that event, you don't have to buy any (of course, that means they have to spread around which books have crossovers so they can get one you're reading eventually).

It's completely unrealistic to say "no crossovers at all." But I do want to see a moratorium on blockbuster events for more than just the promised 18 months.
    My issue with the smaller xovers is when Marvel has simultaneous multi-month crossovers going on in different families. It doesn't end up being just 1-2 books a month when you have pulls from different families. That causes me to drop existing books or prevents me from trying books from different families. Also, iirc, IvX was a lot of books. Mind, I did like what Marvel did with Monsters Unleashed and how it didn't interrupt any of the ongoings.

I just want Marvel to pace xovers and new releases better so there's not a lot of overlap or at least limit the number of extra books that the customer needs to buy for xovers in one month. I'm practically not buying any new Marvel #1s from April - September because Secret Empire (which is really just a continuation of Nick Spencer's Captain America books and where I get my Black Widow fix) is a drain. Also, double shipping the first two issues just compounds the cost.

I appreciate how DC has been pacing their xovers, events and new #1s since Rebirth. Minimal overlap, xovers are over usually within 4 weeks and apart from JL vs SS, just an extra 2 or so books a month. February, they released JLA, Batwoman, Super Sons and Wild Storm and it was easy to try all of them because there were no DC xovers competing for my cash.

The checklist for Metal looks absolutely tiny compared to Secret Empire. Heck, I think the entirety of Metal might actually feature less books than IvX. Looks like November also leaves some room for Doomsday Clock.

https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/stat...60752698486784
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

My issue with the smaller xovers is when Marvel has simultaneous multi-month crossovers going on in different families. It doesn't end up being just 1-2 books a month when you have pulls from different families. That causes me to drop existing books or prevents me from trying books from different families. Also, iirc, IvX was a lot of books. Mind, I did like what Marvel did with Monsters Unleashed and how it didn't interrupt any of the ongoings.

I just want Marvel to pace xovers and new releases better so there's not a lot of overlap or at least limit the number of extra books that the customer needs to buy for xovers in one month. I'm practically not buying any new Marvel #1s from April - September because Secret Empire (which is really just a continuation of Nick Spencer's Captain America books and where I get my Black Widow fix) is a drain. Also, double shipping the first two issues just compounds the cost.

I appreciate how DC has been pacing their xovers, events and new #1s since Rebirth. Minimal overlap, xovers are over usually within 4 weeks and apart from JL vs SS, just an extra 2 or so books a month. February, they released JLA, Batwoman, Super Sons and Wild Storm and it was easy to try all of them because there were no DC xovers competing for my cash.

The checklist for Metal looks absolutely tiny compared to Secret Empire. Heck, I think the entirety of Metal might actually feature less books than IvX. Looks like November also leaves some room for Doomsday Clock.

https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/stat...60752698486784
    I see nothing wrong with secret empire being 12 issues if nick spencer feels he needs that many issues to tell complete then there's nothing wrong with that besides the zero issue released in April and then the first three secret empire issues all released in the month of May with issues four and five both releasing in June and then issues six and seven will both release in July with the final issues of eight nine and ten all relaxing in the month of August.

Its releasing twice monthly or in May and august's case thrice monthly but the event of secret empire is 12 issues if you count the zero issue which released in April and the secret empire omega issue which will release in September and you combine that with the ten issue main event story.

The secret empire omega issue although is more of a one shot aftermath fallout issue that takes place after secret empire's final issue opposed to an actual issue numbered issue, also it's nothing new really many events prior have had aftermath one shots or mini series that centered on the aftermath of the event civil war did it fear itself did it and avengers vs X-men did it and most recently civil war ii did it.

Also The fcbd secret empire issue doesn't count because it's more or less an extension of the zero issue.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

That I agree with. It's a dumb idea and makes no sense no matter how I think about it. I think an Avengers/Champions crossover is a good idea. I think an X-Men Gold/Blue crossover is a no brainer. They should hold off on one or the other. Assuming Avengers and Champions aren't double shipping, they would probably be better getting the X-Men one over in October and doing the other in November. Or they could do October and November with the X-Men one in December. But I can't think of a good reason not to space it out.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post

I agree so much

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    I see nothing wrong with secret empire being 12 issues if nick spencer feels he needs that many issues to tell complete then there's nothing wrong with that besides the zero issue released in April and then the first three secret empire issues all released in the month of May with issues four and five both releasing in June and then issues six and seven will both release in July with the final issues of eight nine and ten all relaxing in the month of August.
    It's not so much Secret Empire proper. It's the minis, one-shots and tie-ins I'm referring to. Even if I bought all of the Metal tie-ins, I'd still be spending less than what I've spent on Secret Empire and select tie-ins. And really, those evil Batmen look like absolutely superfluous cash grabs so only planning on getting the one by Tomasi. Maybe Joker depending on the creative team.

Thank goodness for helpful internet folks and reddit comic codes. I'm finding this guide really helpful.
    http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-c...secret-empire/

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    The secret empire omega issue although is more of a one shot aftermath fallout issue that takes place after secret empire's final issue opposed to an actual issue numbered issue, also it's nothing new really many events prior have had aftermath one shots or mini series that centered on the aftermath of the event civil war did it fear itself did it and avengers vs X-men did it and most recently civil war ii did it.

Also The fcbd secret empire issue doesn't count because it's more or less an extension of the zero issue.
    Exactly. Historical sales, events have dropped quite a bit.

Secret Wars (2015) ~500K
    Civil War II (2016) ~300K
    Secret Empire (2017) ~150K

They're still doing a lot better than the average ongoing but perhaps this shows a lot of people have actually been getting tired of mega events (regardless of quality)?

Personally, I think a 6-month mega event that involves a lot of books in the line-up shouldn't happen every year. Should be minimum two years in between. Preferably longer.
    Currently Following:

Personally, I wished the events where spread out to every 2-3 years that we would get one. If you have an Earth Shattering event every year the threat and the story doesn't feel as important to catch. Which is probably the reason why so many "hard core" Marvel fans have been picking and choosing which events to part take in, when the past they would have simply grabbed every issue to keep up with what is going on in the Marvel Universe.