Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    I'm well aware. I've got all of the Crisis on Multiple Earths trades, and have read all but the last few Pre-Crisis Crisis stories, the ones that haven't been reprinted yet. They were still Crisises.
    But they weren't "Crises" in the manner the OP seemed to clumsily allude to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    At this point, the heroes should just take it in stride.

It's like an annual event now. You can't call something a crisis if it happens all the time.

May as well call it **** That Happens Regularly on Infinite Earths.
    And, back in those days (during the past century, over thirty years ago), the heroes did take those things in stride, frequently alluding to the idea that every time the JLA and JSA got together, something always seemed to happen at some point.

Retired

CRISIS did kind of ruin the word crisis, which ought to be a word in English you can use routinely without getting people riled up. Although, I'm sure when I was a kid this was one of those words that I didn't know how to pronounce correctly.

But it did get used a lot in comics. Personally, I preferred when the JLA/JSA crossovers never used "Crisis" in a story title--there were many years where that happened and I feel this freed up the writers to approach a team-up in a new, not always following the formula imposed by the crisis concept.

I think some of these are just titles of a story, and not meant to be seen as a 'Crisis'. Take Identity Crisis for instance; that was just the name of the story, and "identity crisis" is a pretty common term. Superman had an arc in the 90's called "Identity Crisis", and nobody confused that with a Crisis event. I've seen numerous single issues with that title from random comics, and not all of them DC.

I also don't believe Zero Hour was meant as one, either. It was a crisis in time, but not a Crisis. In my opinion, there have only been 3 capital-C Crisis stories: Infinite Earths, Infinite, and Final. Your mileage may vary.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    CRISIS did kind of ruin the word crisis, which ought to be a word in English you can use routinely without getting people riled up. Although, I'm sure when I was a kid this was one of those words that I didn't know how to pronounce correctly.

But it did get used a lot in comics. Personally, I preferred when the JLA/JSA crossovers never used "Crisis" in a story title--there were many years where that happened and I feel this freed up the writers to approach a team-up in a new, not always following the formula imposed by the crisis concept.
    I actually thought using the word Crisis in a JLA/JSA story was a good idea. Generally, the two teams would meet and deal with a third group and wacky adventures would ensue. An annual "Crisis" when stories lasted one or two issues wasn't a big deal. However, in today's world of writing for the trade and five and six issue arcs, annual "Crises" don't fit in nearly as well.

DC's done a pretty good job of limiting use of the term "Crisis" in the past 30 years. I'm of the opinion that the term isn't the problem, it's the near constant BIG story going on. If DC is relying on legacy and history in Rebirth, then it would be expected the term "Crisis" would return. It's DC's thing, that's what they do. A couple of lower-risk stories would be nice though.

Retired

Well, it's because the JLA and JSA only met once a year that it got frustrating when they had to deal with a third group (and often another world or time period), because that pushed the stories in the same direction and didn't allow space for much else. Whereas, I was just happy to see the two groups get together--I didn't need another group of characters horning in on their quality time--and really I just wanted to see everybody sitting around the clubhouse, ordering in pizza, catching up on their personal lives and enjoying their time together.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Dude, you're talking to comics fans. You should have known better.
    He knows better. He's a troll.
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Those were names of stories for the annual JLA/JSA meetings; they weren't anywhere near the scale of Crisis on Infinite Earths and weren't annual "the world is about to end . . . some heroes will die; some heroes will be born; and some will never be the same AGAIN!!!!" MEGA-EVENTS WUTH UMPTEEN-GAZILLION CROSS-OVERS/TIE-INS!!!
    "Crisis on Earth-X!" was a story that took place in two issues of Justice League of America back in 1973. No actual present-day superheroes were actually harmed in that adventure.

The Pre-COIE Crises weren't of the same scope as COIE itself, but they were still pretty big deals at the time. Occasionally, there were casualties. Larry Lance of Earth-Two met his end in such an event, and didn't the original Mr. Terrific also perish during a Crisis event in 1978 or 1979?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The only Crisis is Wonder Woman getting irritable bowel syndrome on her invisible jet.
    Save Ferris...

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    . . . Occasionally, there were casualties. Larry Lance of Earth-Two met his end in such an event, and didn't the original Mr. Terrific also perish during a Crisis event in 1978 or 1979?
    Yes, occasionally there were deaths in these events, but not an annual/"Who dies this time?!?" () deal.
    There was Larry Lance, and many years later the retcon that Golden Age Black Canary died as a result of the same event (but we didn't learn that until the retcon revelation that the JLA's Black Canary was actually the daughter of Larry and the JSA's Black Canary who had been running around with the memories from her dead mommy because she literally grew up without a life of her own). The revelation that Wing (sidekick/partner of the Crimson Avenger) had died was in JLA #103 (the issue where Red Tornado was also thought to have died, though a few issues later we found out Reddy merely got bounced to Earth-1). Mr. Terrific died in Justice League of America #171 (October 1979). And, off-hand, I'm not sure what other heroes died during the annual get-togethers from 1963 to 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    I think some of these are just titles of a story, and not meant to be seen as a 'Crisis'. Take Identity Crisis for instance; that was just the name of the story, and "identity crisis" is a pretty common term. Superman had an arc in the 90's called "Identity Crisis", and nobody confused that with a Crisis event. I've seen numerous single issues with that title from random comics, and not all of them DC.

I also don't believe Zero Hour was meant as one, either. It was a crisis in time, but not a Crisis. In my opinion, there have only been 3 capital-C Crisis stories: Infinite Earths, Infinite, and Final. Your mileage may vary.
    I think I remember reading somewhere that Dan Didio had said Identity Crisis was part of the company's build up to Infinite Crisis. So I think that played a factor in using "Crisis" in that story's title.

In my opinion, Zero Hour felt more like a capital-C crisis story than Final Crisis did.

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    In my opinion, Zero Hour felt more like a capital-C crisis story than Final Crisis did.
    Well its full name was "Zero Hour: Crisis in Time"

Retired

The plots for all the the classic JLA/JSA crossovers could be and have been easily re-invented as big event stories that take months and hundreds of pages to resolve in modern comic books. As an example, "The Man in the High Castle" plot for "Crisis on Earth-X" could have shown some of the millions of people who were killed by the Ratzis and the devastating impact it had on that Earth. Whereas, this kind of thing was simply alluded to in a few panels in the original comics--and the readers were left to extrapolate what had happened on their own time.

BANNED

It serves to differentiate between regular catastrophes that only affects some parts of the DCU and the over the moon kind of stuff where everything is threatened.

You have stuff like Flashpoint and Blackest Night as your regular catatrophes thats promises to change life as we know it... and there is stuff like the Crisis' where all life in the multiverse risks being undone.