Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Reasons why the MCU should retire Iron Man.

Here's the article: http://screenrant.com/why-mcu-should...ert-downey-jr/

Agree or disagree with the reasons?

BANNED

How about you go first. It's sort of traditional.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

I thought it was already firmly established that RDJ would retire after Avengers 3 and 4? That both he and a few others would likely step down to make way for other heroes to take up the mantle for future phases.

Hell, the Pepper Potts scene in Spiderman Homecoming felt like a way for them to sneak in closure to one Iron Man related plot thread while they had the chance.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    I thought it was already firmly established that RDJ would retire after Avengers 3 and 4? That both he and a few others would likely step down to make way for other heroes to take up the mantle for future phases.

Hell, the Pepper Potts scene in Spiderman Homecoming felt like a way for them to sneak in closure to one Iron Man related plot thread while they had the chance.
    Many of the MCU lead actors contracts are up after those films. RDJ himself has said he wants to retire from the role before it gets embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Many of the MCU lead actors contracts are up after those films. RDJ himself has said he wants to retire from the role before it gets embarrassing.
    Well, it's not like we'll have a beer bellied Iron Suit anytime soon. RDJ's still in his prime.

There's story and then there's bottom line. RDJ is a massive money-maker for Marvel Studios. So's Chris Evans. I think if anyone's going to take a permanent powder, it would be the Hulk, since Marvel can't distribute a Hulk movie because of the legal tangle with Universal. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Hawkeye go. When it comes to RDJ and Evans, I think the likeliest thing would be, they would step away from doing solo movies and just agree to play maybe bit parts in other movies like Downey's part in Homecoming, and maybe an Avengers movie every three years or something.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Well, it's not like we'll have a beer bellied Iron Suit anytime soon. RDJ's still in his prime.
    He wants to retire while he's still in his prime. He doesn't want to end up like Shaq in the Celtics.

Extraordinary Member

Money talks. He'll keep going as long as they pay him stupid money. It's not a hard gig. He's basically playing himself and most of his physical scenes are CGI

Fantastic Member ZoomZolomonZoom's Avatar

I skimmed through the article, but mostly I agree.

In a way though I kind of enjoy the fact they're using Iron Man a lot recently and setting a lot of potential replacements for when his time inevitably comes to leave the canon. Spider-Man being the next generation Iron Man would be my dream, but it's unlikely as long as Sony has the rights to his solo movies.
    My name is Hunter Zolomon. Despite what the public believes, I am the fastest man alive

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

If they retire RDJ and Chris Evans (even more so) I'm done with you MCU/Disney
    Ok, depends on the Black Panther movie, actually...

Mighty Member

Maybe just retire the individual Iron Man movies. The two sequels were horrible...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    If they retire RDJ and Chris Evans (even more so) I'm done with you MCU/Disney
    Ok, depends on the Black Panther movie, actually...
    I think it far more likely that they both retire themselves than that Marvel Studio fires them.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    Maybe just retire the individual Iron Man movies. The two sequels were horrible...
    I am pretty sure that they have.

I actually think Downey Jr. will still be around after Infinity Wars for a bit. Evans is gone for sure though

I see "Iron Man" "retiring" for the next three phases with a soft relaunch (not reboot) with a new actor to start Phase VII.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I actually think Downey Jr. will still be around after Infinity Wars for a bit. Evans is gone for sure though
    Nothing is for sure.